Discovery Channel has fired Cody Lundin

The drama surrounding these shows makes "One Life to Live" pale in comparison.

No wonder they're referred to as "soap operas for guys"...

Last edited:
The drama surrounding these shows makes "One Life to Live" pale in comparison.

No wonder they're referred to as "soap operas for guys"...

It’s shocking to me that Discovery would treat anyone in this manner, and I am disappointed that this media organization would put its own reputation at risk by choosing sensationalism over facts.

I lol'd. I did. Cody dude, you need to watch the shows you recorded while repeating this phrase. Dude!

I would love to see a dual survival filmed survivorman style with Cody and Les. Les often talks about the added psychological stress of being alone, which I believe is very real, but to see those situations in a different light would be cool. I also think that their skill sets and methods would compliment each other well, and they could push the time frame out longer. I didn't watch much of dual survival, but I like Cody's methods and thinking.

Agreed - That would be way cool. Cody and Les are my two favorite survival people as well.

Cody and Bear would be funny, Cody would be throwing all types of fits. Les and Cody wouldn't work because on Dual they are supposed to find their way to safety. Les just hangs out for 7 days until someone comes and picks him up. That is a great way to survive when your lost and most would benefit most to learn. I think for a tv show people might be asking you to change the name to camping with les and cody. :)

Its true that sometimes Les sits, but several of his episodes he travels. The arctic ones were all about travel, and often he is moving to better locations for survival. That said, if the premise of the show was that they would move from one location to another, then that is what they would do. I think Les and Cody doing the beyond survival thing would be right up their ally, meeting locals and learning local skills, and comparing them to other cultures. More like living than surviving.

Its true that sometimes Les sits, but several of his episodes he travels. The arctic ones were all about travel, and often he is moving to better locations for survival. That said, if the premise of the show was that they would move from one location to another, then that is what they would do. I think Les and Cody doing the beyond survival thing would be right up their ally, meeting locals and learning local skills, and comparing them to other cultures. More like living than surviving.

I quit watching that when it became a show about him getting high with the natives.

I may as well throw in my two coppers as well.. I liked Dave, Cody, and Joe. Each brought a part of themselves, as well as personality and different skills/backgrounds. I think that all three warrant respect and admiration. Yep, its a big goof up firing Cody, as it was firing Dave. If I wanted to make a reality show on survival, I wouldnt pick a master, or a even a veteran bushcrafter or survivalist (such as some of us here at bf), id go for a regular joe/jane..hehe. That, in my opinion, would be interesting, not to mention amusing.

I for once would love to see novices and those completely new to it, making their first fire, shelter, learning things, and coping. I can stick a hawk in a paper plate at 30ft, is it fun--yes, but its more fun to see someone stick a throw for the first time!!

The show that had the dude that lied and said his gramma died? Too much drama and whining in that show. Lol.

Yeah I've seen the episode where they cut Dave's arm and use gun powder on the wound. I read that Dave and Cody, especially Dave, objected to that and tried to make a stand but the producers basically told them they'd be breaching their contract if they didn't do it. I know Dave has said he had no intention of returning to TV because of stuff like that, as far as I know Les is the only guy out there that gets to do his own thing.

After watching Cody's last episode I could tell at beginning when they had Joe hanging in a pit from a rope Cody was pretty pissed about it, to top it off Joe wanted to get the backpack and you could tell he wasn't too jazzed about that. Then Joe gave Cody some shit about wearing shorts and socks in the snow and they got into a pretty stupid argument about it.

Joe seems to be all about the Bear G type theatrics and entertainment, while Cody seems to be more about the teaching and practicing survival, hence not doing dumb shit when he doesn't have to. They probably fired him for constantly being not on board with the cutting people's arms and dangling them over cliffs. I mean this same episode Joe climbed a tree for a squirrel nest but Cody had birch bark and cigarette filters so he didn't really need to risk his life or serious injury climbing a tree.

I don't really watch the show, wanted to see this one since it's his last one, I use to watch it when Dave was on it. Once Dave left you could watch a whole episode without learning a single thing and most the stuff they did where you could learn something seemed to be glossed over or edited out so they could show Joe climbing a cliff for something dumb.

Dave has a pretty popular YouTube channel, I always thought it would be entertaining if he shot his own Survivorman-esque episodes and uploaded them on there.

Had to chuckle at the "squirrel's nest" Teti climbed up there to get....never seen one that was entirely made of bright green branches that were smoothly fresh cut on the ends......squirrels using saws these days??? :)

I have to wonder if most if not all of the shows of this ilk would be better if written by the "experts" they feature rather than by a group of hollywood office geeks. This seems to be, from what I can tell, the source of the conflict Cody had with his producers as but one example. Scripts written by people who are generally clueless about the topic they are writing scripts for. But again, what is their perceived target audience and how boreing would the shows be without manufactured danger and personality conflicts.

Had to chuckle at the "squirrel's nest" Teti climbed up there to get....never seen one that was entirely made of bright green branches that were smoothly fresh cut on the ends......squirrels using saws these days??? :)

What I couldn't figure out was why he decided to climb the tree instead of dislodging it with a rock or something. Maybe he never lost any frisbees as a kid.

I had to watch this last one too just to see it. It's like Joe went from one dumb decision to another. I wouldn't be able to put up with that either. Kudos to Cody for doing it as long as he did.

My whole thing with that show began back when Dave got fired, we've all seen the show after show with these ex special forces guys because for some reason to an uneducated person military service = survival expert. No disrespect to the military, I have all the respect for them. But they are usually very well supported with modern gear and I understand they go through training on survival, but many civilians also go to survival training courses. Someone who ha a passion, practices, researchs, and lives that sort of life is going to be a survival guru. Just because someone was in the special forces doesn't mean hey have more knowledge on the subject than someone like Cody, Les, Mors, Ray Mears, etc.

It was quite obvious that Dave has a lot more knowledge and skills than Joe, no disrespect to Joe the man was special forces which is quite the accomplishment, a war veteran, etc. He seemed to always be willing to do all the gimicy shit the producers wrote up for the sake of being entertaining, keeping his job, and probably wanting to have a signature gear line like Bear. I know a lot of ex-military people were really unhappy with Dave for lying, I was never in the military so I didn't really care. I care more about the credibility of someone who claims to be an expert and how factual/experience based the content of their teaching really is. Obviously we can give The Rock a script and he can act out shit on TV as if he's an expert, but if it turns out the guys a fake that kind of annoys me.

I mean a show like this meant for entertainment, obviously it can't just be some guy sitting there and showing you how to do something for an hour. The whole "survival scenario" is meant to entertain us, it's television and the shows about making money. That's why could care less if Bear goes and stays in a hotel, the guy has some mighty fine accomplishments and I don't think that all goes away just because he stays in a hotel. What does bother me though is when they do dumb shit that you should really never do if you're lost out in the wilderness alone. Climbing a tree for a squirrel nest, drinking your piss, eating raw snake, etc. is all shit that could get you killed. Things like Dave going after a gator don't bother me because apparently he worked with crocodiles or gators for years, he felt comfortable, but at the same time unless you have a background hunting or handling gators you stay the fuck away from them.

All in all I like watching this crap because it's entertaining, it gets people excited and passionate about going outdoors and learning skills in today's world that seem to be dying in many cultures. It's a shame though that the discovery channel has gone from documentaries about nature, science, and survival - to 20 shows about Alaska and people jumping off cliffs to grab some tinder. On the plus it makes you want to turn off your tv and go for a hike or do something else less ridiculous. Now even Les is hunting Bigfoot, and Cody who has been preaching not doing stuff that can risk injury or death will probably be replaced by some guy who will be doing just as much dumb shit at Joe.

Back