Do you believe, and more discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What supernatural thing/s do you believe exist and why do you believe they exist.

Do you think there is a purpose for your life other than the purpose you create yourself?

Do you think the universe was created and if yes do you think it was created for a reason ie does the universe have a purpose?

Do you even smatchet bro?

Please respect other's beliefs if you want to participate.
Okay, I'll participate. I suppose my beliefs are best summed up in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds. I won't publish them here, but they are probably familiar to some of you, and are easily found.

I believe the Holy Bible is God's revelation to man, and describes the creation, fall, and redemption of man. It contains all we really need to know, and is compatible with true science.

Man's purpose is to glorify God, and to enjoy Him forever, as stated in the Westminster Shorter Catechism. I think the Baltimore Catechism says something similar. We are on probation now. I believe it would behoove each one of us to frequently contemplate the Four Last Things: death, judgment, heaven, and hell.

I believe therefore that all things were created ex nihilo. I also believe that the Biblical account of creation is historically accurate, and that everything was created in six literal days; that the earth came first, as the sun, moon, and stars were created on the fourth day; that we really are special, and there is no need to believe there is life elsewhere. (I do enjoy reading science fiction sometimes, but it's just fiction.) I believe the earth and the universe are approximately 6,000 years old, not billions of years. I don't believe we are destroying the planet with cow farts, automobiles, and plastic straws. "Global warming/climate change" is a hoax. I do believe man should be a good steward, though. The earth will be intact when the Lord returns to judge all men. In the meantime, we are to love God and our neighbor.

Don't know what you mean by "smatchet." New slang term?

Last edited:
⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎ Interesting. I had a discussion with a true believer on this subject by the time we were done, he was in tears. He couldn't answer any of my questions. I stopped discussing religion with him
or anyone else for that matter. Believe what you want if it makes you feel good.

On the subject of days. One of my nephews is an ordained orthodox rabbi. I once talked to him about some things in the bible. I asked about the great rabbis dealt with things
like dinosaurs and fossils and how those things could have happened in 6 days. His answer was that we don't know how long one of God's days is. Man's day is 24 hours long.
One of God's days could be a billion earth years long. No one knows.

Oh, before I forget, smatchet.

⬆︎⬆︎⬆︎ Interesting. I had a discussion with a true believer on this subject by the time we were done, he was in tears. He couldn't answer any of my questions. I stopped discussing religion with him
or anyone else for that matter. Believe what you want if it makes you feel good.

On the subject of days. One of my nephews is an ordained orthodox rabbi. I once talked to him about some things in the bible. I asked about the great rabbis dealt with things
like dinosaurs and fossils and how those things could have happened in 6 days. His answer was that we don't know how long one of God's days is. Man's day is 24 hours long.
One of God's days could be a billion earth years long. No one knows.

Oh, before I forget, smatchet.
Your Nephew has a good point. Maybe we are, Gods hobby? o_O

I have creationist friends that also get around the issue of a young/old earth by using the ambiguity of how long a day is. If you want to appear in agreement with science then one God day can be adjusted accordingly so the math works out. It's a neat response I guess. Another option is to say God just made things to look millions of years old instead of 6000years because reasons.

If we don't know how long one of God's days is.

Anyone considered solipsism - it's almost impossible to defeat the logic of it imo. Doesn't explain anything tho so it's kind of useless.

Another option is to say God just made things to look millions of years old instead of 6000years because reasons.
When God created man He created him with the appearance of age--probably about 30 years old. I'm sure it was the same with the animals--created fully grown. So the chicken came before the egg.
As for the dinosaurs, I believe they flourished before the flood, and probably became extinct in the post-flood world. Man's lifespan before the flood was about 900 years: Adam lived 930 years, Methuselah 969 years, etc. But Moses lived 120 years, and was considered old. The Psalms say the days of our lives are "threescore years and ten" (70), "and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow, for we are soon cut off...."

And I believe what I do not because it makes me "feel good", but because it makes sense. Or in other words, because I think it's the truth.

What supernatural thing/s do you believe exist and why do you believe they exist.

Do you think there is a purpose for your life other than the purpose you create yourself?

Do you think the universe was created and if yes do you think it was created for a reason ie does the universe have a purpose?
This is a topic I rarely discuss, especially on a forum unless it's about aliens or zombies. I respect others beliefs and let it go at that. I don't answer the door when bible totters knock.

Not to seem pejorative in my guess, but is the OP a 101 student of some kind?

Centuries of philosophical and religious debate, with more volumes written on such topics than a single person could ever read in an entire and devoted lifetime, and here the subject appears on a website dedicated to cutlery enthusiasts... absolutely marvelous!

It has been said that 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' (Dr. Carl Sagan, as echoed by Christopher Hitchens.) I agree. An argument without evidence is weaker than argument from fact. 'Belief' without fact is as immune to cross-examination as 'x is my favourite colour.' 'Why' is constructing motive, but 'how' is far more compelling.

And, of course, YMMV... ;)

(TLDR: 42)

Keep 'em sharp!

Beliefs do not have to be proven to be true or false to be believed.

Exactly. That's why religion is sometime called faith. It flies in the face of logic. The existence of a god can not be proven or disproven. If you believe, god exists. If you don't, he doesn't.

No one has ever died and returned to tell us what happened except for the guy who told St. Peter that he wanted to return as a stud and ended up on a tire in So. Dakota.

Exactly. That's why religion is sometime called faith. It flies in the face of logic. The existence of a god can not be proven or disproven. If you believe, god exists. If you don't, he doesn't.

No one has ever died and returned to tell us what happened except for the guy who told St. Peter that he wanted to return as a stud and ended up on a tire in So. Dakota.

You realise something can be 100% logical and completely and obviously untrue garbage right??

history-channel-logic1.jpg

Beliefs do not have to be proven to be true or false to be believed.

This is obvious. But do you think most people choose to believe in things that are patently false? Does one simply flip a coin? I think not.

UffDa, I like your style, hombre...

This is obvious. But do you think most people choose to believe in things that are patently false? Does one simply flip a coin? I think not.

UffDa, I like your style, hombre...

I believe that people tend to believe what they are taught. Through the centuries, people believed in various gods or none at all. Almost every religion believes that every other religion is wrong.
Even within the Christian and Muslim religions people will kill each other over their beliefs. Commandment number 5? PFT!

I think Vince is referring to the entire New Testament which is the collected parables of Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back