1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Do you like tanto blades?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by TheEdge01, Aug 9, 2019.

Do you like tanto blades?

1. I like them.

69 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. I don’t like them.

32 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I used to avoid this blade style mostly because I didn’t like the way they looked but I also figured it would be a pain to sharpen because of the blade shape. As of lately, this blade style is starting to grow on me. I recently added a Benchmade 583 Barrage with the tanto blade to my collection. It sharpened up nicely on my DMT sharpener with little effort. How do you feel about tanto blades?

tgtodd and GIRLYmann like this.
  2. Tseg

Tseg

Aug 25, 2018
    I like the look. But after getting this one, realized I prefer a smaller EDC. I think tantos look better on big knives, so probably would not get another. Functionally they work, they just work different. This one sharpens very easy by hand.

[​IMG]

3. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I don't like them just because I don't.
    Rich

fruitbat likes this.
  4. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I've got a few, they work great push cutting. I sliced up some meat the other day and it worked surprisingly well. Not something I carry everyday and not my preferred blade shape overall but I'm not opposed to them either. Really not that hard to sharpen, I do it in 2 stages, main part of the blade, then the front part separately. If you run over the transition to much it'll round out. I'm no expert but that's what works for me.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I like them and I've actually seen one around here someone did that was rounded into one edge and it looked pretty nice also. The tanto blade tip is a lot thicker than most so should be a little stouter I would assume. I must say though its not my favorite blade point, I guess the bowie would be.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  6. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    most of these american tanto's are
    often thought of as something meant
    purely for edged "tactical" applications.
    well, for all its worth, these tantos
    were made popular by cold steel.
    which back in the day,
    was more of a martial arts
    practitioners pocket samurai sword :)
    the idea of a self defense bladed tool
    is why many do not consider it to be
    a practical general purpose blade style
    some are put off by how its main
    cutting edge terminates abruptly
    at the juncture of the angled
    secondary edge.
    i find it strange that many seem to
    be of the opinion that its difficult
    to sharpen??!
    well, that really shouldn't be the case.
    it has mostly flat edges like that
    of a chisel.
    because sharpening flat cutting edges
    is a task far more easier to be precise
    with than someting curved to a point.
    well, there are a few who forego
    the defined angles and round it
    of to a smooth curve either by
    accident or a prefered edge modification.
    the american tanto is probably here to
    stay despite the existance of detractors
    since day one ;-)

DocJD and TheEdge01 like this.
  7. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I don't dislike them, just no particular need.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    No, because Mall Ninja.

BigKurtHaze and TheEdge01 like this.
  9. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I got no problem with a tanto.

Good tip strength, easy for me to sharpen, the aesthetics are awesome on some knives.

And if you are into a bunch of bananas, there's all that power.

10. Wild Bill 1

Wild Bill 1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I do not care for them.The lower blade and lower tip joint take most of the wear and seem to dull very fast. Its a strong point but slows penetration. WB

TheEdge01 likes this.
  11. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Nope. Do not like.

That's not to say others shouldn't of if they do I think they are stupid.

It's just that the tanto shape brings less to the table to me than other blade shapes. They just don't suit my needs.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  12. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I like the looks of a Tanto blade, and I like the concept but I don't find them very practical.

I own one and that is enough.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  13. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    The sharp straight-line-meets-straight-line style American tanto is not my favorite blade shape, it's not a great shape for some tasks, cutting into it's overall utility for me. That said, variety is the spice of life so I have some tanto blades.

This is the version I like least, a blade that essentially has two tips:

[​IMG]

I much prefer the rounded version, like this:

[​IMG]

I do respect the awesome power of the banana tanto in any case, though:

[​IMG]

14. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    the real ancient tanto point or the 45 degree modern ones ?

15. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    The modern tanto is the one I had in mind. However, the question is written in such a way that it includes all tanto style blades, so be as specific as you like.

16. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    I don’t like them. That shape turns me off, and has proven to keep me from buying knives.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  17. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I love how easy it is (for me) to freehand sharpen an american tanto with two straight edges. While I might have issues freehand sharpening the variable curve of some curved blade shapes, I can make an american tanto just about as sharp as I want by hand.

In use, I think tantos are just fine. That secondary tip is great for EDC use, and I love the functionality of compound grinds with high hollow main bevels and a flat ground tip. It's not the shape I'd pick for food prep, but that's a minor critique.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    onekerf and TheEdge01 like this.
  18. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yep. Here is my usual edc and a new fun knife I just picked up.

Screenshot_20190809-151145__01.jpg

onekerf and TheEdge01 like this.
  19. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Wellllllll . . . as my mother used to say : If it pleases you dear I guess I can stand it.

The more I use knives (pocket folders now) for everyday civilian tasks the more I appreciate the plain old straight Wharncliffe blade. Just yesterday or the day before I almost had a little revelation there (the brain cells almost made the leap) between the Wharncliffe and the Tanto.

But then I slid back into the abyss without the full realization of the thought.

There must be something to the Tanto. I just haven't got there yet.
    I only have one; a Gerber Remix Tactical. The only knife I have ever owned where the lock stuck so bad after merely flicking it open (didn't cut anything with it) that when trying to unlock it using a pair of pliers it finally came unlocked and cut me.
    Fun knife to look at and own.
    I would carry it more if it wasn't such a POS.

If one were to actually get serious and buy a Tanto for using (rather than looking at the funny pivot (Remix)) what do you guys recommend ? Keeping in mind I like blades ~ 4" down to 3.5" and kind of slender like a Cold Steel Ti Lite IV .
    hahahaha I was looking at buying another Ti Lite IV and didn't have a single reason to do that ( I already have three). I have reground the blades to suit me :
    1. Full Flat
    2. Convex and thinner with the thickest part bellow the spine
    3. a shortened Wharncliffe.
    I have my answer : Get another Ti Lite and turn it into a Tanto ! ! !
    Still open to other suggestions.

20. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I like the CRK tantos with a little bit of belly on the main edge. I like tantos with belly in general, I guess. I like compound grind tantos for some reason, as well. Generally speaking I like fixed blade tantos over folders, too.