Do you like tanto blades?

• I like them.

Votes: 128 67.7%
  • I don’t like them.

Votes: 61 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to avoid this blade style mostly because I didn’t like the way they looked but I also figured it would be a pain to sharpen because of the blade shape. As of lately, this blade style is starting to grow on me. I recently added a Benchmade 583 Barrage with the tanto blade to my collection. It sharpened up nicely on my DMT sharpener with little effort. How do you feel about tanto blades?

I like the look. But after getting this one, realized I prefer a smaller EDC. I think tantos look better on big knives, so probably would not get another. Functionally they work, they just work different. This one sharpens very easy by hand.

I've got a few, they work great push cutting. I sliced up some meat the other day and it worked surprisingly well. Not something I carry everyday and not my preferred blade shape overall but I'm not opposed to them either. Really not that hard to sharpen, I do it in 2 stages, main part of the blade, then the front part separately. If you run over the transition to much it'll round out. I'm no expert but that's what works for me.

I like them and I've actually seen one around here someone did that was rounded into one edge and it looked pretty nice also. The tanto blade tip is a lot thicker than most so should be a little stouter I would assume. I must say though its not my favorite blade point, I guess the bowie would be.

I used to avoid this blade style mostly because ...I .. figured it would be a pain to sharpen... the blade shape. ...the tanto blade...sharpened up nicely on my DMT sharpener with little effort. How do you feel about tanto blades?
most of these american tanto's are
often thought of as something meant
purely for edged "tactical" applications.
well, for all its worth, these tantos
were made popular by cold steel.
which back in the day,
was more of a martial arts
practitioners pocket samurai sword :)
the idea of a self defense bladed tool
is why many do not consider it to be
a practical general purpose blade style
some are put off by how its main
cutting edge terminates abruptly
at the juncture of the angled
secondary edge.
i find it strange that many seem to
be of the opinion that its difficult
to sharpen??!
well, that really shouldn't be the case.
it has mostly flat edges like that
of a chisel.
because sharpening flat cutting edges
is a task far more easier to be precise
with than someting curved to a point.
well, there are a few who forego
the defined angles and round it
of to a smooth curve either by
accident or a prefered edge modification.
the american tanto is probably here to
stay despite the existance of detractors
since day one ;-)

I do not care for them.The lower blade and lower tip joint take most of the wear and seem to dull very fast. Its a strong point but slows penetration. WB

Nope. Do not like.

That's not to say others shouldn't of if they do I think they are stupid.

It's just that the tanto shape brings less to the table to me than other blade shapes. They just don't suit my needs.

I like the looks of a Tanto blade, and I like the concept but I don't find them very practical.

I own one and that is enough.

The sharp straight-line-meets-straight-line style American tanto is not my favorite blade shape, it's not a great shape for some tasks, cutting into it's overall utility for me. That said, variety is the spice of life so I have some tanto blades.

This is the version I like least, a blade that essentially has two tips:

BB3qrSC.jpg

I much prefer the rounded version, like this:

RqVm9dk.jpg

I do respect the awesome power of the banana tanto in any case, though:

cKUZzdV.jpg

I love how easy it is (for me) to freehand sharpen an american tanto with two straight edges. While I might have issues freehand sharpening the variable curve of some curved blade shapes, I can make an american tanto just about as sharp as I want by hand.

In use, I think tantos are just fine. That secondary tip is great for EDC use, and I love the functionality of compound grinds with high hollow main bevels and a flat ground tip. It's not the shape I'd pick for food prep, but that's a minor critique.

Last edited:
How do you feel about tanto blades?
Wellllllll . . . as my mother used to say : If it pleases you dear I guess I can stand it.

The more I use knives (pocket folders now) for everyday civilian tasks the more I appreciate the plain old straight Wharncliffe blade. Just yesterday or the day before I almost had a little revelation there (the brain cells almost made the leap) between the Wharncliffe and the Tanto.

But then I slid back into the abyss without the full realization of the thought.

There must be something to the Tanto. I just haven't got there yet.
I only have one; a Gerber Remix Tactical. The only knife I have ever owned where the lock stuck so bad after merely flicking it open (didn't cut anything with it) that when trying to unlock it using a pair of pliers it finally came unlocked and cut me.
Fun knife to look at and own.
I would carry it more if it wasn't such a POS.

If one were to actually get serious and buy a Tanto for using (rather than looking at the funny pivot (Remix)) what do you guys recommend ? Keeping in mind I like blades ~ 4" down to 3.5" and kind of slender like a Cold Steel Ti Lite IV .
hahahaha I was looking at buying another Ti Lite IV and didn't have a single reason to do that ( I already have three). I have reground the blades to suit me :
  1. Full Flat
  2. Convex and thinner with the thickest part bellow the spine
  3. a shortened Wharncliffe.
I have my answer : Get another Ti Lite and turn it into a Tanto ! ! !
Still open to other suggestions.

I like the CRK tantos with a little bit of belly on the main edge. I like tantos with belly in general, I guess. I like compound grind tantos for some reason, as well. Generally speaking I like fixed blade tantos over folders, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back