Do you trust your locking folder so much that you often grip it with your fingers in harms way?

Do you without fail, keep your fingers out from under the blade of a locking folder?

• always

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • sometimes

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • rarely or never

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • never even think about it

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters
Also helps not to "baton" a folder, I shouldn't have to say that but...
People do it, and if the lock fails anywhere near your fingers, you're looking at a much worse incident than a knife just accidentally closing on your fingers at a much slower speed

If you watch videos where folder locks failed while batonning, never were fingers in danger.
The blade was still stuck in the wood every time I've ever seen it.

If you want to make the point that batonning with a folder is a great way to break the lock though, that would be a valid observation.

There’s a folder batoning technique too though. The proper technique is to unlock the knife and have it partially open.

Kind of like developing a proper technique for climbing a ladder upside down if you ask me, but it exists, created for us by folding knife batoning gurus.

There’s a folder batoning technique too though. The proper technique is to unlock the knife and have it partially open.

Kind of like developing a proper technique for climbing a ladder upside down if you ask me, but it exists, created for us by folding knife batoning gurus.

Works even better with a large slip-joint...🤔

Yeah, I'm sure Army MASH units are overwhelmed with hand injuries from folding knives closing during combat :rolleyes:

Well, comparing it to general military injuries is a bit of a of an extreme, but I see why you felt you needed to so you could prove your point. Kinda a stretch though. I know plenty of people that got cut in the mil. I'm also a nurse so I see the end result of people hurting themselves frequently, blades, bullets, and MVA's.

As far as field work, I don't know many guys that don't deploy with a fixed blade for combat. I was one of the dumbies that took a folder on my first deployment and got a nice scar from it doing something stupid. Ask some of the guys that did/do knife work - most use fixed. At least the ones I know first hand. I beleive it has to do with something like no failure points, unless you'd like to debate that, too.

This is getting to the point of stupid insanity. Do you also use tongs when you are taking a whizz ? Do you wear a face mask while taking a shower?

Well, if that Kraken awakens, it's best to keep hands out of chomping range!!!!

And to your second point, it depends on whose shower you're in....

Well, comparing it to general military injuries is a bit of a of an extreme, but I see why you felt you needed to so you could prove your point. Kinda a stretch though. I know plenty of people that got cut in the mil. I'm also a nurse so I see the end result of people hurting themselves frequently, blades, bullets, and MVA's.

As far as field work, I don't know many guys that don't deploy with a fixed blade for combat. I was one of the dumbies that took a folder on my first deployment and got a nice scar from it doing something stupid. Ask some of the guys that did/do knife work - most use fixed. At least the ones I know first hand. I beleive it has to do with something like no failure points, unless you'd like to debate that, too.
Some great points here

The mess hall had a mess of chicken in bags go bad in VN. They asked me to cut open the bags and throw them in the river so the VN wouldn't pull them out of the garbage and get sick eating them. So, I went to one of the river bunkers and started cutting open bags and throwing them in the river. I got going pretty fast until I drew my sharp Puma White Hunter across my thumb. Left a blood trail into the medics and to my surprise I discovered what a butterfly band aid was. I'd never heard of one and didn't think it would work, but it did. Medics are the good guys. Don't mess with them.

I just found this thread so, I picked up the Case trapper on my desk and opened it. Sure enough, I hold it with my fingers wrapped around the handle like I would any other tool.

I just remembered. Ferro rods with the spine of the blade. If you do it. You really want to trust your lock.

I just found this thread so, I picked up the Case trapper on my desk and opened it. Sure enough, I hold it with my fingers wrapped around the handle like I would any other tool.
Sure, I would too, but now go work with it in a garage for 18 years cutting all kinds of things in all kinds of ways and see if you don't discover that there are times when you might not want to get your fingers in the way in case it closed on you.

The whole point of this thread was to prove that most folks today don't even think a folder can close on you anymore, now that everyone is using locking folders, and so hold their knives as Zornhau just described. That is what I'd said on the spine thrashing thread - that most folks never think about a blade closing on them and so hold them just as they seem designed to be held, with a full grip. I said that and got a lecture on safety. Not that safety is a bad thing, just that most no longer think a knife that now has a lock on it as compared to a slip joint, might ever close on you and cut you. So, my point was proven with about 75% in the poll paying no mind to a folder closing on them. It rarely happens.

Last edited:
My dad would use the spine of a crkt m16 on a ferro rod and never had an accident
With the secondary lock engaged, probably wouldn’t be an issue. My dad, may he rest in peace, had a newer version without the secondary lock.

All these years I must be missing some miraculous method of cutting things using the spine of the blade ... boy don't I feel like a rube now. :rolleyes:

No debate here - it appears we are in agreement.

With the secondary lock engaged, probably wouldn’t be an issue. My dad, may he rest in peace, had a newer version without the secondary lock.
As with my own dad --- I always felt like the secondary lock was superfluous and just another step to close the knife

Sure, I would too, but now go work with it in a garage for 18 years cutting all kinds of things in all kinds of ways and see if you don't discover that there are times when you might not want to get your fingers in the way in case it closed on you.

The whole point of this thread was to prove that most folks today don't even think a folder can close on you anymore, now that everyone is using locking folders, and so hold their knives as Zornhau just described. That is what I'd said on the spine thrashing thread - that most folks never think about a blade closing on them and so hold them just as they seem designed to be held, with a full grip. I said that and got a lecture on safety. Not that safety is a bad thing, just that most no longer think a knife that now has a lock on it as compared to a slip joint, might ever close on you and cut you. So, my point was proven with about 75% in the poll paying no mind to a folder closing on them. It rarely happens.
Apparently you are trying to change “the whole point of this thread”. In your original post you weren’t asking if we thought a folding knife can accidentally close - you asked if we use some kind of special grip to avoid injury when it does close. That’s the part that I and others here have a problem with. If you have to modify your grip to avoid injury you are using the wrong knife for the job.

Last edited:
Back