Do you trust your locking folder so much that you often grip it with your fingers in harms way?

Do you without fail, keep your fingers out from under the blade of a locking folder?

• always

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • sometimes

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • rarely or never

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • never even think about it

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters
I dont worry about it because I am (usually) not a moron. Lol

Ive never had a non locking knife fold on me. Ive had multiple linerlocks fail though! I think Im safer with a slipjoint honestly, and I just hold them like normal. Holding it with just your fingertips seems less safe since you have less control on the blade.

The times Ive cut myself were always me doing something stupid. Case in point, the other day I got my first clamp on thumbstud for a Buck 110 and I tried to flick the knife open. I knew I shouldnt have tried, but I did it anyway. I cut the outer layer of skin off of my thumb but didnt cut deep enough to bleed.
Usually I hurt myself by cutting towards myself though.
The first time I ever saw a BUCK 110 was in 1972 in Greece. I met a young man from California & I fell in love. NOT WITH THE MAN< WITH THE KNIFE! I just needed to make that CLEAR! He showed me what to do to make the knife open very quickly with one hand. Sorry no pics. you just take another sharp knife & shave the square edge off the wooden handle on a 45 degree angle down to the metal liner. Now you have a blade that is easily grabbed by you thumb & with a flick of the wrist out comes the blade like lightning. I did it to my 110 as soon as I got it . Loved the mod then, still do, still have that knife.! Forget the stupid thumb studs.

Funny story, well, it almost wasn't so funny, I had a Viper Dan 2 folder, basically a slip joint non locking but had a detent. Loved the lines and blade shape a great deal, but one day I was cutting into a block of foam and as I inserted the blade the foam pushed against the curved spine of the blade and proceeded to close the blade onto my hand. I stopped before harm was done, but it made me take a sudden breath when I saw what almost happened. Figured, well, this isn't for me! Still a beautiful folder.

Viper_Dan2 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Viper_Dan2_open by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Viper_Dan2_clip by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And interestingly, this week I've decided to move to edc'ing a fixed blade and hold off on folders altogether, we'll see how long this lasts, but it should be a hoot ;)

G2

Last edited:
now many feel safe enough with a locking folder that they no longer keep their fingers out of the way
How many still make sure they never put their fingers under where the blade could close and how many no longer worry about that and grip their knives with their whole hand with a firm wrap around grip.
Are you saying that you just grasp the handle scales of your slipjoint and never take a full “hammer grip” on your knife?? If that’s the case you’re missing out on a lot of potential cutting power. I always use a full grip and I’ve never used or heard of using a folding knife in the way you seem to be describing…

Forgive me if this was already answered and I missed it.

Are you saying that you just grasp the handle scales of your slipjoint and never take a full “hammer grip” on your knife?? If that’s the case you’re missing out on a lot of potential cutting power. I always use a full grip and I’ve never used or heard of using a folding knife in the way you seem to be describing…

Forgive me if this was already answered and I missed it.
I grasp my pivoting cutlery pinky up, less I risk injury.

I frequently make use of slipjoints and with knives like Opinels, I often don't even bother to use the lock.

If I want to move up a blade to put force on the spine, it's going to be a fixed blade or possibly an Andrew Demko designed lock.

This question came up during the spine whacking thread. I'd said that for 18 years I used a stockman slip joint and that back then we all knew or learned the hard way, not to let our fingers be in the way in case the blade would close.
You never learned to use a knife correctly, then.
I've carried non-locking folders from the time I was 6, some 65 years ago. I have always grasped the full handle. I have never had a blade close on my hand, because I understand how to use a knife. You push the cutting edge against the material you want to cut. That forces the blade open. It cannot close. If you need to work with the point, you grasp the blade with thumb and forfinger so that it can't close.

You never learned to use a knife correctly, then.
I've carried non-locking folders from the time I was 6, some 65 years ago. I have always grasped the full handle. I have never had a blade close on my hand, because I understand how to use a knife. You push the cutting edge against the material you want to cut. That forces the blade open. It cannot close. If you need to work with the point, you grasp the blade with thumb and forfinger so that it can't close.
Obviously. You are quite right. And I never learned how to use all the tools of a mechanic correctly either, otherwise I wouldn't have wrapped my knuckles so many times when wrenches slipped, or pliers closed on fingers or vise grips pinched me or I jabbed myself with a screw driver. We use tools wrong and in ways they were not designed to use all the time to get jobs done; we improvise, and that is probably why there is a medicine cabinet in most shops. You are 100% correct. And most men never learn to live the way God designed us either. I wish I'd always done things the correct way in my 76 years here on Earth. I think many of us have the scars to show for it too - and quite a few of them are from knives.

Obviously. You are quite right. And I never learned how to use all the tools of a mechanic correctly either, otherwise I wouldn't have wrapped my knuckles so many times when wrenches slipped, or pliers closed on fingers or vise grips pinched me or I jabbed myself with a screw driver. We use tools wrong and in ways they were not designed to use all the time to get jobs done; we improvise, and that is probably why there is a medicine cabinet in most shops. You are 100% correct. And most men never learn to live the way God designed us either. I wish I'd always done things the correct way in my 76 years here on Earth. I think many of us have the scars to show for it too - and quite a few of them are from knives.
God is just trying to experience life through all of us, one band aid at a time.

Darn, my sarcasm didn’t come through clearly enough. He’s dead but it’s not because a CRKT Auto LAWKS failed lol.
Lol I assumed you must be joking, but then I started imagining some kind of crazy, tragic, hand chopping accident! lol

Darn, my sarcasm didn’t come through clearly enough. He’s dead but it’s not because a CRKT Auto LAWKS failed lol.

It was a Sebenza 31.
I have the original m16 and I gave the auto lawks version away.
The secondary lock was moronic and frustrated me that it existed.

He died doing what he loved, using folding smatchets as regular smatchets.
tenor.gif

I trusted the lock on a Skeletool CX. Then I bled everywhere. Leatherman sent me a new one and I sold it. Some locks can be trusted. Some can’t.

Is that sarcasm or are you serious? If sarcasm - sorry I missed it. If you are serious you are more or less admitting that the entire premiss of your thread is based on the fact that you don't know what you are doing!

Back