Do you trust your locking folder so much that you often grip it with your fingers in harms way?

Do you without fail, keep your fingers out from under the blade of a locking folder?

• always

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • sometimes

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • rarely or never

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • never even think about it

Votes: 68 59.6%

• Total voters
I just remembered. Ferro rods with the spine of the blade. If you do it. You really want to trust your lock.
I wouldn’t use a ferro rod with a folding knife.

The only time I carry a ferro rod is when I’m in the great outdoors. If I’m in the great outdoors, I also carry a fixed blade knife.

I just wouldnt use a ferro rod, since lighters are a thing. Or matches. Pretty much anything else besides a wimpy little spark stick. Lol

Seriously though, if people are so worried about locks failing or slipjoints closing, why not carry a fixed blade, indoors or out?

I just wouldnt use a ferro rod, since lighters are a thing. Or matches. Pretty much anything else besides a wimpy little spark stick. Lol

Seriously though, if people are so worried about locks failing or slipjoints closing, why not carry a fixed blade, indoors or out?
You are correct, but ferro rods are just so much cooler and more manly than a bic lighter.

And let’s face it, the only legit reason to go camping is to look cool and manly. 😁

There are many advantages to a folder and they are also very cool things mechanically and artistically.
Plus, for 90% of what you are likely to do they are more than fine when used properly.
But when in doubt or with any likely unacceptable stress on the back ( self defence including animals, some canoeing/whitewater uses ) I would and do carry a fixed blade
Plus, the simpler the better to use, maintain and repair in the field

People had for 10s of thousands of years, and as it was aforementioned above, fixed blades have no points of failure. No pivot assemblies or locking mechanisms to worry about giving out at the worst time

I just read the story of Gene Moe yesterday. He was a hunter in Alaska who killed a grizzly bear with a Buck 110! I dont usually go around killing bears, so I dont worry about the lock on my knife. If a standard lockback can hold while fighting a bear, I think Im safe to slice up veggies in my safe, warm kitchen lol

Is that sarcasm or are you serious? If sarcasm - sorry I missed it. If you are serious you are more or less admitting that the entire premiss of your thread is based on the fact that you don't know what you are doing!
Back in the 1960s,70s and into the 1980, cars used vacuum lines to control many systems and they dried out, rotted and formed a bond to the metal line they were on. Likewise, fuel and cooling lines were attached by clamps before all the fancy locking arrangements we have today along with modules and wires that have changed how we do things. All these hoses needed replacing, day in and day out in a shop. They didn't come off easily and many times you could not get a thin screwdriver under them to pry them free. So a thin blade from a stockman folder or even the sheepsfoot blade were very handy and useful in cutting these hoses so that you could then get a screwdriver under them to free and loosen them to change them. Many times you could barely see where you were working and your knife was not always in a perfect position to make these cuts. I don't expect any of you to understand or picture this unless you went through it. I couldn't even remember all this until just before bed last night when it came back to me. All I remembered was that if you were not careful, the knife could close on you. That is why sometimes some of us learned to hold them the way I described when you were in a compromising situation. You soon learned that your knife could close on you when using it this way to avoid being cut. There was no other tool available that I know of that worked as well as my pocket knife. Both of those blades are well worn from constant sharpenings over many years. That medium stockman was the perfect knife for the job since its blade was thin and narrow. Today's locking blades are usually much wider, since often there is only one and I rarely if ever use one in this way anymore, since things have changed and I don't work on cars any longer.

So call it what you want. It is how many of us used them. I've noticed that only a small few of the posts seemed to understand this. That is why the premise of my thread was that it is no longer even considered a danger today with all the locks on knives now. Again, the premise of the thread was that when I mentioned how I had to use knives (without all this detailed explanation) I was told I was using them in an unsafe manner. No kidding. There was no other way if folks wanted their cars fixed back then. I suppose some guys just poked around with a screwdriver or used a box cutter, but I used my Old Timer medium stockman.

I kept what probably are some old square thin India stones in one drawer and touched up the blades at work. When the edges needed more than that, I'd get out the Arkansas stones at home and sharpen all three blades and then also do my wife's kitchen knives. Sorry for the confusion. But, even with it, we all got to share whatever we thought.

You do what you can with what you've got, because you have to. Until something better comes along. There are ways to use things you might not have considered until you're forced to. Time is also a consideration that many people forget to factor in. Sometimes doing something "the proper way" means that it takes longer, and that could be time which you can't afford to lose.

Often times I see people being dismissive and condescending towards those who appear to be out of step with the popular opinion, as if it were gospel and dissent were heresy. It's foolish behavior.

Back in the 1960s,70s and into the 1980, cars used vacuum lines to control many systems and they dried out, rotted and formed a bond to the metal line they were on. Likewise, fuel and cooling lines were attached by clamps before all the fancy locking arrangements we have today along with modules and wires that have changed how we do things. All these hoses needed replacing, day in and day out in a shop. They didn't come off easily and many times you could not get a thin screwdriver under them to pry them free. So a thin blade from a stockman folder or even the sheepsfoot blade were very handy and useful in cutting these hoses so that you could then get a screwdriver under them to free and loosen them to change them. Many times you could barely see where you were working and your knife was not always in a perfect position to make these cuts. I don't expect any of you to understand or picture this unless you went through it. I couldn't even remember all this until just before bed last night when it came back to me. All I remembered was that if you were not careful, the knife could close on you. That is why sometimes some of us learned to hold them the way I described when you were in a compromising situation. You soon learned that your knife could close on you when using it this way to avoid being cut. There was no other tool available that I know of that worked as well as my pocket knife. Both of those blades are well worn from constant sharpenings over many years. That medium stockman was the perfect knife for the job since its blade was thin and narrow. Today's locking blades are usually much wider, since often there is only one and I rarely if ever use one in this way anymore, since things have changed and I don't work on cars any longer.

So call it what you want. It is how many of us used them. I've noticed that only a small few of the posts seemed to understand this. That is why the premise of my thread was that it is no longer even considered a danger today with all the locks on knives now. Again, the premise of the thread was that when I mentioned how I had to use knives (without all this detailed explanation) I was told I was using them in an unsafe manner. No kidding. There was no other way if folks wanted their cars fixed back then. I suppose some guys just poked around with a screwdriver or used a box cutter, but I used my Old Timer medium stockman.

I kept what probably are some old square thin India stones in one drawer and touched up the blades at work. When the edges needed more than that, I'd get out the Arkansas stones at home and sharpen all three blades and then also do my wife's kitchen knives. Sorry for the confusion. But, even with it, we all got to share whatever we thought.
Cool, thanks for sharing. 👍:)
That way of holding a knife makes more sense now, though it seems pretty unnecessary outside of this one really specific use. But I can understand getting into that habit, and it literally cant hurt you to have that good habit. Lol

Cool, thanks for sharing. 👍:)
That way of holding a knife makes more sense now, though it seems pretty unnecessary outside of this one really specific use. But I can understand getting into that habit, and it literally cant hurt you to have that good habit. Lol

It's useful any time you need to work in a cramped space. Any time something might get in your way, perhaps even suddenly and without much warning. Like for example, if something suddenly falls over. That's something I find happens quite a lot... 🤣

Especially any time you're working closely around other people, stuff can get bumped, and people can bump each other. It's not supposed to happen but it can and it does.

That is why sometimes some of us learned to hold them the way I described when you were in a compromising situation.
That makes more sense - your original post kinda made it sound like you held your knife that way all the time. Thanks for the clarification.

That makes more sense - your original post kinda made it sound like you held your knife that way all the time. Thanks for the clarification.

I can't speak for others but I do it a lot because I know how clumsy I am. Oddly enough, while I have cut myself numerous times, hardly any of those times was with a knife. I'm extremely careful with knives, especially folders, and I carry a slip joint every day. I was also taught gun safety at the age of 5. I'm extremely grateful for that. I didn't own my first knife until I was 11, but I had a pump riffle at age 6 (a pellet gun). Safety is something I am very serious about. That's probably because I know myself. A man can be his own worst enemy.

One should be especially cautious when they are tired or hungry, and fatigue can creep up on you.

I can't speak for others but I do it a lot because I know how clumsy I am. Oddly enough, while I have cut myself numerous times, hardly any of those times was with a knife. I'm extremely careful with knives, especially folders, and I carry a slip joint every day. I was also taught gun safety at the age of 5. I'm extremely grateful for that. I didn't own my first knife until I was 11, but I had a pump riffle at age 6 (a pellet gun). Safety is something I am very serious about. That's probably because I know myself. A man can be his own worst enemy.

One should be especially cautious when they are tired or hungry, and fatigue can creep up on you.
That’s interesting.

I recall cutting myself once or twice with a slip-joint when I was a kid, and that’s one of the reasons I’ve always carried a folder with a durable locking mechanism. I also carry a tiny SAK slip-joint, but I consider the design inherently limited compared to some modern locking folders.

Have you ever owned a knife with a Tri-Ad lock? The Tuff-Lite in particular is very “safe”, because of the lock and the location of your index finger on the choil of the blade, as long as you have a full grip on the knife it’s virtually impossible for it to close on your fingers.

They’re inexpensive and cut like lasers too. ✌️

Alright, now it makes perfect sense :) and you're right, with today's locks, I don't think I'd think about the possibility of it closing on me even when doing something akin to what you were describing

That’s interesting.

I recall cutting myself once or twice with a slip-joint when I was a kid, and that’s one of the reasons I’ve always carried a folder with a durable locking mechanism. I also carry a tiny SAK slip-joint, but I consider the design inherently limited compared to some modern locking folders.

Have you ever owned a knife with a Tri-Ad lock? The Tuff-Lite in particular is very “safe”, because of the lock and the location of your index finger on the choil of the blade, as long as you have a full grip on the knife it’s virtually impossible for it to close on your fingers.

I also believe a locking knife has a wider range of usability possibilities (rhyme intended) because it makes it more durable and allows for different approaches and methods, while not conventional and unorthodox, ain't wrong either.

No. If I ever need a hard use knife then I will default to a fixed blade. Circumstances don't require me to EDC a locking folder, and even if they did then I would still be very hesitant. Slip joint knives are more universally accepted and tolerated. I would sooner carry a fixed blade than a locking folder anyway. There is no lock mechanism to fail on a fixed blade. Triad locks have failed before. A simple search will show you that. Whether it is user error or a flaw in the lock or some piece of debris getting caught in it, I would rather not take the chance. A fixed blade is objectively better than any lock design on a folder.

My Dad always used a Case pocket knife, for absolutely everything.
He did oil production and excavation, so the use was rough and varied beyond most.
One habit he had, is closing his knife by pulling the spine across his thigh or hip and onto his pocket in one graceful sweep.
Muscle memory, I don’t recommend for everyone.

My Dad always used a Case pocket knife, for absolutely everything.
He did oil production and excavation, so the use was rough and varied beyond most.
One habit he had, is closing his knife by pulling the spine across his thigh or hip and onto his pocket in one graceful sweep.
Muscle memory, I don’t recommend for everyone.
A fond memory. My grandson laughed when he saw me do that with a new Code 4 that has a stiff lock. I told him I did that for many years with my Old Timer stockman. As you say, it became muscle memory, an old habit that I imagine many old timers had and still have.

Back