Does any one out there have any simmons hardware or keen kutter knives?

:thumbsup::thumbsup:Very nice Dan! The blade etch is sure in nice shape considering the age of the Pruner. The tang stamp sure looks pristine also. I like it--overall a wonderful find :thumbsup: Lloyd

Last edited:
I was just looking through this thread and I agree Charlie about the fish knife.Even shows the white bone,that is if they are the same size.

G9gabIt.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pp23YnS.jpg

thanks Charlie, Lloyd and Jake for the kind remarks on my pruner.

In regards to the Keen Kutter fish knife under discussion: I am not arguing with Charlie and Lyle on this, as they have vastly more experience and have handled and looked at hundreds of time as many knives as I have. However, there are a few points I would like to introduce into the discussion:

The originally posted Keen Kutter fish knife was likely made sometime between 1905 and 1920. It is listed in both the 1912 and the 1917 Keen Kutter catalogs. During this time period, Sellens says that all of the Keen Kutter knives were made in the Walden facility, which was owned by EC Simmons at that time. Not sure where he got that information or the accuracy of it??

The fish knife listed in the catalog cut posted by Lyle is listed at 3 3/8". The Keen Kutter catalog lists the knife at 3 1/2". Maybe splitting hairs over 1/8"?? Here is a catalog page from the 1917 Keen Kutter catalog showing the Keen Kutter fish knife.
KeenKutter1917-pg19-36 by Dan Richert, on Flickr

OOPs, just noticed that in the catalog page posted by myself, only a white celluloid and a stag handled version are listed. Sellens lists the knife produced with white bone between 1905 and 1920 and white celluloid between 1915 to 1920.

Dan

Here is my newest Keen Kutter. A K73477 3/4 cattle knife. Sellens says was in the catalogs from 1921 to 1942. With both the EC Simmons and the horns at the top of the keystone, it was likely made pre 1939, but not likely by too much. Also interesting that "Cattle" is spelled correctly, most of the Keen Kutter cattle knives I have seen spell it "Kattle"
Dan
RIMG0776 by Dan Richert, on Flickr
RIMG0777 by Dan Richert, on Flickr

Fine example Dan!
You have been adding very good, carefully-selected examples to your collection! The way to go, for sure!

Paul, Charlie and Barrett, thank you for the kind comments on my cattle knife. Charlie, I have been concentrating on buying the best condition Keen Kutters I can find. This results in buying fewer knives but in being more satisfied with each purchase.
Atiger, nice looking Keen Kutter barlow. Any chance of pictures with the blades open.
Dan

A well loved and pocketworn KK Dogleg (3 3/4").
The Jack is a little over 3 3/4" and someone had carried it for many moons.
2016-12-05 12.38.09.jpg2016-12-05 12.41.15.jpg

Good looking knives, Ramrodmb, any chance we could see pictures of them with the blades open?
Dan

Paul, Charlie and Barrett, thank you for the kind comments on my cattle knife. Charlie, I have been concentrating on buying the best condition Keen Kutters I can find. This results in buying fewer knives but in being more satisfied with each purchase.
Atiger, nice looking Keen Kutter barlow. Any chance of pictures with the blades open.
Dan

Lots of patina but overall, in good shape...

1b03d8ac6986f3467b933df69965bd95_zpsmch2thwv.jpg
[/IMG]
dfa65cafcf28ade8081b41018d4b365b_zpsy6ymenao.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Atiger. Looks like a K2884, manufactured sometime after Shapleigh Hardware Company bought out Simmons Hardware Company in July 1940.
Dan

Beautiful cattle knife danno!
The blades on the two I posted are worn but serviceable. I will get a pic in the AM.

Here is a k140 pruner that would fit here.

2016-12-05 12.39.30.jpg

Ramrodmb, your pruner does fit in here nicely. Sellens says the K140 with the lanyard hole and steel bolster was made from 1921 to 1942. Yours would have been made after July 1940, after Shapleigh bought out EC Simmons.
Dan

Thanks Dan! Great info, I appreciate that!
Here's a picture with the blades open. The tang stamps on both are very worn, but I can just make out the EC Simmons on both.

2016-12-07 10.15.59.jpg2016-12-07 10.24.12.jpg

thanks for posting the additional pics, Ramrodmb. A nice old pair of pre 1939 Keen Kutter jacks. Nice barlow, btmccutcheon, any chance you could post pics with the blades open?
Dan

Back