Doug Ritter RSK Knife Announcement

A mini Ritter in S30v was my first "real" knife. I researched forever and finally sprang for one. Loved it. In a moment of insanity I sold it on Ebay. Just read about this line being discontinued and ordered an M390 mini. This one won't be going anywhere. Thanks Mr. Ritter!!

Can benchmade still use the blade shape without it being a Ritter?

Odds are pretty high that Benchmade can do exactly that. They can't use Mr. Ritter's name or logo without his permission, but they can likely use the blade shape and profile without any compensation (I don't see any evidence that there are any intellectual property protections in place on the blade profile and shape).

There are other cases like that in the cutlery world. Famously, Chris Reeve never protected the design and technological innovation of his frame lock design, which has been copied by innumerable knife companies and makers.

So I suppose a ritterless grip maybe why they are trying to drum up some interest in the knife they are currently canceling.

Neil Blackwood's 610/615 was very much like that, and so was Allen Elishewitz's 730/735. The knives continued without their maker's logo for very good runs. I'm not saying the Ritters will continue, but would hope something good will come out of this.

I am not sure how I will take it. If it is Mr. Ritter happily lets BM continue to use his blade shape (without his logo of course), then sure it is not a big deal. If however it is just BM continues to use the shape without his consent but Doug cannot or does not want to dispute with BM, that would be a different story.

I just ordered a full size one. Been eyeing one for a long time. I need to quit getting on this forum so much lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked up a spare mini-Ritter once I heard the news. Went ahead and re-built a previous set-up I still had all the hardware and scales for. Pretty excited, yet kinda disappointed that the model may be discontinued in any rendition.

Love the Ritter Grip blade shape. These are great little knives.

IMG_0099_zps4fe23370.jpg

Love those scales.. and a left hand carry option!?
Where can I get them

Whether or not Benchmade can run with the blade shape depends on the contract(s) Mr. Ritter agreed to, the intellectual properties held by both parties, and any licensing agreements.

I am not sure how I will take it. If it is Mr. Ritter happily lets BM continue to use his blade shape (without his logo of course), then sure it is not a big deal. If however it is just BM continues to use the shape without his consent but Doug cannot or does not want to dispute with BM, that would be a different story.

If he doesn't own the legal rights to the blade shape/profile, he doesn't legally have a say in the matter.

Hmmm....it's just going to be interesting to see the outcome of this. I'd like to see the same blade shape in an upgraded package. We already have M390 and liners with G-10 scales. Wonder what BKC has up their sleeves?

Back