Recommendation? EDC Carry Knife

Hey. I've been looking all over the internet for a good, EDC carry knife. I live in CT, where the law states that I can carry a knife as long as it doesn't break these rules. I can't have a balisong, automatic, or switch blade knife that excedes 1.5 inches. However, I can have a knife that is spring assisted, folding, or fixed blade as long as it doesn't excede 4 inches. The law does state however, that you can have a knife (doesn't state specifically which kind) that excedes 4 inches, as long as you are: transporting it, something with the military, or going to use it for hunting. I am going to start hunting soon, and just want a general purpose EDC knife. I want it to be good for three things (ranging from most to least important): Self-defense, easily concealable / not noticed easily, and basic "wilderness general purpose" (that's my own term. What I mean by that is it's also good for general camping / hunting uses). I'm not looking for some crappy ass one, even if I have to drop some good money on it, I want to get a high-quality, built-to-last kind of knife. Once again: Self-defense, concealable, and general purpose for the wilderness / hunting. Oh, last thing. I honestly can't help it, but a major selling point for me is if the knife looks beautiful / not ugly as shit. Thanks!
If your first priority for a knife is self defense and you live in Ct as I do, I would suggest you get a CCW permit and a pistol you are comfortable with. A knife sucks as a line of first defense unless you have extensive training in a blade based martial arts. You also don't want to be telling a LEO you are carrying/concealing a knife for "self defense". --KV

IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2944.JPG You mention 2 that aren't spoken of often Mike.
Love the North Fork and the Foray!
I picked up a Foray on the Exchange for $140 and I can say without hesitation it is an all around fantastic EDC with excellent blade steel!!
On the smaller side, but tough as nails! I also love the way it fills the hand.
I look at this one like it's a sleeper!
An excellent EDC!
Joe

PS.....this thread needs pics!

One that's not talked about alot is the Benchmade diamondwood north fork. Beautiful knife. Very tough! Axis lock. Awesome awesome knife! Runs about a buck forty or so. Not so much for hunting but the Benchmade foray is killer. Around $200, beautiful strong strong knife. 20cv steel, can't go wrong. Hope this helps a bit

What you are looking for is an Al Mar Hawk

Beautiful, practical - awesome!

Get a sub 4 inch fixed blade. A Fallkniven F1 or WM1 is "Self-defense, easily concealable / not noticed easily, and basic "wilderness general purpose"" and legal anywhere anytime for you if I read you correctly.

Sub 4 inch folder? A over 4 inch folder is getting a little "silly big" in my book, so you can pick anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. One of you said a price range might help. Like I said, I'm willing to spend big bucks as long as the knife is worth those dollars. I'll buy a $300 knife if it's worth $300. A $150 if it's worth $150.

If your first priority for a knife is self defense and you live in Ct as I do, I would suggest you get a CCW permit and a pistol you are comfortable with. A knife sucks as a line of first defense unless you have extensive training in a blade based martial arts. You also don't want to be telling a LEO you are carrying/concealing a knife for "self defense". --KV
Dude, I'm not old enough to CCW a handgun. However, there is no age limit for CCW a knife.

Alright so I'm going to completely narrow this down. Forgot the hunting aspect. I just want self defense. No longer the 4 inches, and assisted opening is a must. Price limit is $200. Maybe more, only if it's worth it tho. In the end, a knife is a knife.

I'm also going to a local shop tomorrow where they have some nice EDC knives. If I like what I find, I'll let you all know. You guys have been super helpful.

I know next to nothing about tactical or defense blades, so I will pass on recommending anything.

Dude, I'm not old enough to CCW a handgun. However, there is no age limit for CCW a knife.
DUDE, You'd probably be better off buying some really good running shoes than depending on a knife that you have no training with. I will try to paraphrase an old saying I heard. " The winner in a knife fight is the one who bleeds the least".
Besides the very large legal problems you will end up with for CCWing a knife for self defense. --KV

Cold Steel Recon 1. Meets all your requirements in 1 blade, $95 at GPKnives.

For a 2-blade solution well under $200 total:
* Spyderco Paramilitary 2
* Gerber Strongarm

Besides the very large legal problems you will end up with for CCWing a knife for self defense. --KV

And what legal problems are those?

Regarding Sec 53-206 ( carrying deadly or danderous weapons) ,You do understand that the 5th Circut Court ruled that "Knife not coming within description of statute cannot be included as "any other dangerous or deadly weapon" and is not within prohibition of section? Just look up Sec 53-206, scroll down to the cites and read for yourself.

Or are you suggesting that use of any lethal force, other than a firearm, is less legal than using a firearm? If so I would love to see case law affirming that.

DUDE. Growing up, my parents didn't put me in sports like lacrosse and football. They put me into combat sports. I'm not just going to flick it out, however, I will if they are threatening me with something like that or worse. They also taught weapons alongside the hand to hand combat. BTW, in CT, any age can have one. My states laws are different from yours. Also, I'm not some kid who is going out to kill. If someone gives me trouble, the stages of action or threat are as follows: fist fight, using my monkey's fist keychain, and, ONLY IF NECESSARY, my EDC knife. I'm not looking for trouble with a blade, just for self defense. Also, like you said, the one who bleeds the least wins. If they have a knife, I'm probably going to book it. One of the few situations that I'd use it is if they gave chase and cornered me. That's it. I see what you mean though.

BTW the combat sports thing was mostly because my dad grew up in a seriously rough neighborhood where people were fighting all the time, so he wanted me to know how to defend myself.

Back