Recommendation? EDC Carry Knife

IMG_2079.JPG Have you checked out the Crooked River by Benchmade Aidan??
4" blade with a wicked cool grind and a smooth as silk Axis Lock!
It's my hiking knife. Carries 'small' also.
Love mine!!
Joe

PS......it also come with wood scales.

View attachment 769865 Have you checked out the Crooked River by Benchmade Aidan??
4" blade with a wicked cool grind and a smooth as silk Axis Lock!
It's my hiking knife. Carries 'small' also.
Love mine!!
Joe

PS......it also come with wood scales.
palonej that looks sick. Believe it or not I was looking at that exact knife last night. I'm thinking about it.

And what legal problems are those?

Regarding Sec 53-206 ( carrying deadly or danderous weapons) ,You do understand that the 5th Circut Court ruled that "Knife not coming within description of statute cannot be included as "any other dangerous or deadly weapon" and is not within prohibition of section? Just look up Sec 53-206, scroll down to the cites and read for yourself.

Or are you suggesting that use of any lethal force, other than a firearm, is less legal than using a firearm? If so I would love to see case law affirming that.
I believe that if the OP told a questioning LEO that he was carrying his legal knife primarily for a weapon, that he would have some serious problems. That has been my experience. 65 yrs of it. I'm not an attorney. Thank God.:). You may very well be right. --KV

I'm in North Windham. Been in CT for most of my 48 years (except for a few years with Uncle Sam).

Not once has an LEO asked the reason I carry knives , nor my 1911A1.

Of course I have always lived in the rural "Quiet Corner" where such things are normal.

Though a legal knife is legal, no matter what part of CT you are in.Your reason for carry does not matter.

I'm in North Windham. Been in CT for most of my 48 years (except for a few years with Uncle Sam).

Not once has an LEO asked the reason I carry knives , nor my 1911A1.

Of course I have always lived in the rural "Quiet Corner" where such things are normal.

Though a legal knife is legal, no matter what part of CT you are in.Your reason for carry does not matter.
I have been questioned, though a long time ago and in another state. I still believe that a minor carrying a large-ish knife in a concealed manner and professing to use it primarily as a weapon would run into some law enforcement problems. I also have a Ct CCW., carry my weapon daily, train with it and depend on it. My knife EDC's are all small traditionals.===On another note. Thanks for your service. I was Army 1st Cav from 71 to 75.--KV

DUDE. Growing up, my parents didn't put me in sports like lacrosse and football. They put me into combat sports. I'm not just going to flick it out, however, I will if they are threatening me with something like that or worse. They also taught weapons alongside the hand to hand combat. BTW, in CT, any age can have one. My states laws are different from yours. Also, I'm not some kid who is going out to kill. If someone gives me trouble, the stages of action or threat are as follows: fist fight, using my monkey's fist keychain, and, ONLY IF NECESSARY, my EDC knife. I'm not looking for trouble with a blade, just for self defense. Also, like you said, the one who bleeds the least wins. If they have a knife, I'm probably going to book it. One of the few situations that I'd use it is if they gave chase and cornered me. That's it. I see what you mean though.
AH--Kudos to your parents and best of luck to you.

I have been questioned, though a long time ago and in another state.

Thank you for your service. I served peace time, US Army. Did nothing but train to fight an enemy who was no longer an enemy.

My last encounter with a State Trooper was a traffic stop. He held onto my 1911a1, ZT0301, SAK, and flashlight for "officer safety". His only comment was that I sure carried alot of stuff.

Again Thank You for your service in a time of real need.

OP is a 15 year-old kid!!! Who thinks he's all done and growed up already. :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd make that clear. ;) Irresponsible to make ANY recommendations on a SD knife for this kid. o_O IMHO...

OP is a 15 year-old kid!!! Who thinks he's all done and growed up already. :rolleyes:

Just thought I'd make that clear. ;) Irresponsible to make ANY recommendations on a SD knife for this kid. o_O IMHO...
Kinda why I dropped the conversation. That and the term "combat sports". Just a little too oxymoronic to me. --KV

Alright so I'm going to completely narrow this down. Forgot the hunting aspect. I just want self defense. No longer the 4 inches, and assisted opening is a must. Price limit is $200. Maybe more, only if it's worth it tho. In the end, a knife is a knife.

Guy if your main goal is self defense and you want around 4 inches you simply must get a knife with a wave on it. Forget about assisted opening, a wave is WAY better for self defensive. Infact in my opinion if a folding knife does not have a wave feature it is not suitable for self defense. If you do not know what a wave feature is then google the term "waved knife" and learn.

It is basically a hooked shaped projection off the spine of the knife that hooks on the lip of your pocket as you draw the knife. This causes the knife to open as it is drawn so when you take out the knife it is already locked open. It is by far the fastest way to open a folding knife. Once you get some practice with it, it will become like second nature.

Now which knives have a wave and make a good edc?
-Any Emerson that comes with a wave. I recommend the cqc7 for something around 3 inches and the cqc8 for something around 4 inches.
-Spyderco waved Endura. Make sure to get the waved model. They have a waved delica too.
-Zero Tolerance had the 0620 and 0630 which are considered by many to be some of the nicest production waved knives ever made. I believe these are discontinued now but some places still have the 0630 in stock.

Hmmm -- hunting, self defense, camping tool -- And you didn't limit your requirements to just a folder. So think fixed blade and consider a genuine Marine Ka-Bar. Great for everything mentioned above including batonning. My second choice (or even first) would be a ESEE Junglas 2, unless you want to go full-bore with the original Junglas. Just tell the jury you didn't buy it for self defense, you wanted a knife that would primarily be a machete survival knife for when you have to beat back the brush. LOL;)

Keep in mind these blades are LONG and cannot be concealed, otherwise you are going to run afoul of the law. They wear great on your belt or strapped to outside of your backpack.

https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Junglas...ords=esee+junglas+2&psc=1&smid=A37XNGS4WH2DDR

https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Junglas...qid=1506718905&sr=1-3&keywords=esee+junglas+2

One other source -- Ontario knives makes a number of different knives that are similar to the above choices. For instance, they have the contract now for the Marine Corps bayonette -- the OKC3S.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-8604...rd_wg=xYqQl&psc=1&refRID=4NXWMWXVBR5KRA0MPS2H

Last edited:
Back