EDC vs EDC2 reviews

Bmurray

Gold Member
Has anyone done an in-depth review/comparison between this two knives in use? Not ever holding an edc2, I sorta prefer the blade shape of the edc1 but courious of what other who have both think.

I'm not getting rid of my EDC in D2 for my EDC2 but I may have if it were in D3V. It's necessary to own at least one CPK in D2 (or PSF-27) :D. I know everyone loves D3V but I'm an even bigger fan of Nathan's D2.

I think the EDC with the new model scales is a nice balance. I like the new feel with the finer tip on the old model, though the extra belly on the new one might appeal to more people. Can't go wrong either way!

I'm not getting rid of my EDC in D2 for my EDC2 but I may have if it were in D3V. It's necessary to own at least one CPK in D2 (or PSF-27) :D. I know everyone loves D3V but I'm an even bigger fan of Nathan's D2.

I think the EDC with the new model scales is a nice balance. I like the new feel with the finer tip on the old model, though the extra belly on the new one might appeal to more people. Can't go wrong either way!
Would definitely like to hear your thoughts on the D2 vs D3V, and why you prefer one over the other.

Has anyone done an in-depth review/comparison between this two knives in use? Not ever holding an edc2, I sorta prefer the blade shape of the edc1 but courious of what other who have both think.
I wonder if @FeralGentleman can weigh in on this Bmurray Bmurray . I believe he has both versions. I am only knowledgeable on the EDC2 in D3V being that I just recently picked up a couple. I really like the overall feel and shape of the handle and blade. I have not had an opportunity to work with it yet but hope to do so soon.

Keep in mind this is the same pattern, just a revision. I tweak patterns a little between builds all the time. The 3" EDC and the 3" EDC2 are very similar knives, though there is enough change the sheaths aren't interchangeable, but the knives are very similar.

I do have both, but I’m not very good at in depth reviews / comparisons. I carry my EDC’s all the time, but I don’t really need to use them all that much. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
Nathan posted at the same time I wrote mine. I think his answer pretty much settles it that the two knives are extremely similar.

Would definitely like to hear your thoughts on the D2 vs D3V, and why you prefer one over the other.

I like the toothy edge with the D2, it cuts like fine serrations and keeps an edge longer through softer/fibrous material. Neither is hard to sharpen and both are excellent performers. I tend to use D3V when I think I'll be using my knife harder, will be getting it wet/sweaty or stand a higher chance of damaging the edge, it's lower maintenance. Though for most of what I use a knife for, D2 is plenty tough and corrosion resistant.

Honestly, I'd take either and carry it every day but I just like the way D2 cuts most things. I've always liked D2. Maybe I'd feel differently about it if I didn't sharpen with diamond stones. I get a super fine edge on 3V and a rougher edge on D2. They compliment each other well. I'd love a PSF-27 FK though. I like options. Both steels have very favorable properties!

A Riddle for ya:
Could R2D2 with an EDC in D2 outcut C3PO with an EDC2 in D3V?
What if R2D2 had an EDC2 in D2? o_O
It's supersteel acronym-a-palooza overload!!!
sorry for the silliness :p, but this is what I was thinking reading thru Paul's post;)...
thanks for indulging my mini-derailment....carry on :)

A Riddle for ya:
Could R2D2 with an EDC in D2 outcut C3PO with an EDC2 in D3V?
What if R2D2 had an EDC2 in D2? o_O
It's supersteel acronym-a-palooza overload!!!
sorry for the silliness :p, but this is what I was thinking reading thru Paul's post;)...
thanks for indulging my mini-derailment....carry on :)

Haha, funny enough I'm about to watch episode 4.... watching the new one made me want to go through them all again!

Isn't it nice that we can afford to be picky given all the wonderful options available? :p I've always loved this hobby, I greatly enjoy carrying different knives and enjoying different designs, build philosophies, materials and heat treatments. But damn, if I didn't catch the bug pretty bad for everything CPK!

I like the toothy edge with the D2, it cuts like fine serrations and keeps an edge longer through softer/fibrous material. Neither is hard to sharpen and both are excellent performers. I tend to use D3V when I think I'll be using my knife harder, will be getting it wet/sweaty or stand a higher chance of damaging the edge, it's lower maintenance. Though for most of what I use a knife for, D2 is plenty tough and corrosion resistant.

Honestly, I'd take either and carry it every day but I just like the way D2 cuts most things. I've always liked D2. Maybe I'd feel differently about it if I didn't sharpen with diamond stones. I get a super fine edge on 3V and a rougher edge on D2. They compliment each other well. I'd love a PSF-27 FK though. I like options. Both steels have very favorable properties!
Thanks for the info. Have you tried different grit levels? I've been using DMT diamond sharpeners for about 25 years.

For general usage, I find that the Medium DMT provides an edge with the best overall utility for me; sharp enough to shave with, toothy enough for fibrous things like rope, and the edge stays at usable sharpness for various uses, longer than a finer edge.

For general usage, I find that the Medium DMT provides an edge with the best overall utility for me; sharp enough to shave with, toothy enough for fibrous things like rope, and the edge stays at usable sharpness for various uses, longer than a finer edge.

When you say “medium”, what color does that correspond to?

Thanks for the info. Have you tried different grit levels? I've been using DMT diamond sharpeners for about 25 years.

Medium to fine for D2, I knock the burr off with the fine real quick. I hit my 3V on the very fine (?) and sometimes run through the water stones when I feel like it. Got a fine edge on my FK, I think I went up to 10k..... Got bored. I can shave my face with it now!

When you say “medium”, what color does that correspond to?

The DMT Red. Whoops, I guess DMT considers it 'Fine'. Supposedly 600 mesh/25 micron, which I think of as Medium lol.

Medium to fine for D2, I knock the burr off with the fine real quick. I hit my 3V on the very fine (?) and sometimes run through the water stones when I feel like it. Got a fine edge on my FK, I think I went up to 10k..... Got bored. I can shave my face with it now!
It can be fun to take an edge up to polished, where it shaves with a really light touch. I usually only do that on the Gyuto for the kitchen.

I've tried it on pocket knives and field knives, but found that for me, in mixed usage, a slightly toothy edge that could still shave, remained usably sharp longer than a scalpel level polished edge.

It can be fun to take an edge up to polished, where it shaves with a really light touch. I usually only do that on the Gyuto for the kitchen.

I've tried it on pocket knives and field knives, but found that for me, in mixed usage, a slightly toothy edge that could still shave, remained usably sharp longer than a scalpel level polished edge.

Oh yeah, I sharpen my Hiromoto Honyaki Gyuto religiously. There's something cathartic about using your water stones. Especially on a knife that you use daily.

You're right about the fine edge. I usually go back to a lower grit eventually, the fine edge is really easy to maintain oom a strop though so if it's not getting real heavy use I don't mind.

Totally useless but having both- I'm just happy to have both. The EDC 2 has a little higher point giving a bit more belly and the handle is a little thinner towards the front pin but if it weren't for the different scales to differentiate them I wouldn't see enough of a difference to hesitate between which one I'd pick up.

If someone put a gun to my head and made me pick I'd -
1) pick the EDC 2
2) put Vaseline on their windshield wipers

eZHV5fP.jpg

I also love D2. Being left handed I only own one liner lock. Rat1 in D2. I own a few other D2 fixed blades. On a day I use a fixed blade at work, it’s usually for rough work that I will have to do repeatedly (all day). D2 is great for this - it just keeps cutting. I haven’t found a better steel for cutting open 200 light fixture boxes to date.
I’ve only recently acquired my EDC2’s so I haven’t put the D3V through the wringer yet, but it will happen. I’m sure it will do fine! Perhaps even better than my D2 blades. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back