EDC vs EDC2 reviews

I also love D2. Being left handed I only own one liner lock. Rat1 in D2. I own a few other D2 fixed blades. On a day I use a fixed blade at work, it’s usually for rough work that I will have to do repeatedly (all day). D2 is great for this - it just keeps cutting. I haven’t found a better steel for cutting open 200 light fixture boxes to date.
I’ve only recently acquired my EDC2’s so I haven’t put the D3V through the wringer yet, but it will happen. I’m sure it will do fine! Perhaps even better than my D2 blades. Time will tell.
Sounds like your usage might be an ideal candidate for one of the rare CPK 4V blades:D

Keep in mind this is the same pattern, just a revision. I tweak patterns a little between builds all the time. The 3" EDC and the 3" EDC2 are very similar knives, though there is enough change the sheaths aren't interchangeable, but the knives are very similar.
Agree with everything you said Nathan! Both are very similar, I never warmed up to the EDC1 (How it felt in hand-Blade profile), but really Like the EDC 2 better simply because "How it feels in Hand" and Revised Blade Profile" Crazy for sure, but the subtle changes were significant enough for me to be a Big Fan of the EDC2:thumbsup:

Agree with everything you said Nathan! Both are very similar, I never warmed up to the EDC1 (How it felt in hand-Blade profile), but really Like the EDC 2 better simply because "How it feels in Hand" and Revised Blade Profile" Crazy for sure, but the subtle changes were significant enough for me to be a Big Fan of the EDC2:thumbsup:

Tom, I couldn't have said it better myself. I prefer the EDC 2 as well for exactly the same reasons. But it's not a reason to get rid of my EDC1.

Last edited:
Agree with everything you said Nathan! Both are very similar, I never warmed up to the EDC1 (How it felt in hand-Blade profile), but really Like the EDC 2 better simply because "How it feels in Hand" and “Revised Blade Profile" Crazy for sure, but the subtle changes were significant enough for me to be a Big Fan of the EDC2:thumbsup:

Tom, I couldn't have said it better myself. I prefer the EDC 2 as well for exactly the same reasons.

Me three guys.
I really like the new blade profile and the thinner scales. Slight tweaks but both really changed the overall feel of the knife.
I simply cannot put it down or get a different knife on my belt. The EDC2 has been there everyday.

hmm. Now yous got me curious about the changes and how they might affect things

fun fact; my original model for the EDC was scaled up by something like 5% when it went to production. The reduction of handle girth might have brought things back closer to the original conception

They don’t seem much different in the handle to me. I’ll have to get out my calipers to confirm.

They don’t seem much different in the handle to me. I’ll have to get out my calipers to confirm.

Let's await the "expert" opinion, LOL.

If Nathan says it's been changed, and if Tom and I both feel the difference, the handle is, indeed, a bit different, IMHO.

Let's await the "expert" opinion, LOL.

If Nathan says it's been changed, and if Tom and I both feel the difference, the handle is, indeed, a bit different, IMHO.
I don’t notice very much of a difference. It has to be very subtle changes. But if you and Tom say it’s different....

I don’t notice very much of a difference. It has to be very subtle changes. But if you and Tom say it’s different....
Did you get your EDC2 directly from Carothers?
If not, the person you bought it from could have swapped EDC1 scales onto it.

Just a thought..

Here is Nathan's description! As he noted they are similar, But IMHO just feel different (In a good sort of way)
As you can see it's a hair longer, the belly is pushed out towards the tip and the grind comes up a little higher due to tweaking from .135" to .145". The bevel angles and edge geometry are unchanged. Not seen, the scales are being trimmed down a tad to be a little bit thinner. Not much.
Some will prefer the EDC 1, some the EDC 2, subtle changes are a good thing:thumbsup:

Yes got it from last fridays sale. After measuring both, the EDC2 handle is thicker and just a bit taller in all dimensions by about .2-.3mm. Both have unbuffed scales. It’s subtle but I don’t notice it very much because I mostly own custom handmade knives and there is always a difference in them.

Most noticeable is the belly and tip relation.

I’ve actually been rocking some EDC1 scales on an EDC2. It’s a little thicker than either was before. Feels amazing.

I’ve actually been rocking some EDC1 scales on an EDC2. It’s a little thicker than either was before. Feels amazing.
I did the exact opposite. I purposely bought two EDC2s with the antique micarta scales so I could put one set of thinner scales on my daily carry EDC1. Looks nicer and with less girth as well.

And it seems I may be in the minority but I prefer the blade profile on the EDC1 to the EDC2. Different folks, different strokes. :thumbsup:

I did the exact opposite. I purposely bought two EDC2s with the antique micarta scales so I could put one set of thinner scales on my daily carry EDC1. Looks nicer and with less girth as well.

And it seems I may be in the minority but I prefer the blade profile on the EDC1 to the EDC2. Different folks, different strokes. :thumbsup:

Yep! Right on!

I love the EDC1 handle, and was worried when there was talk about the new thinner EDC2 handle, but... it's amazing! It's different for sure, and for my hands a slight improvement, but they're both fantastic.

Now I just need to find another bead for the third musketeer...

3edc.jpg

Last edited:
Hang on a sec'...

Yes got it from last fridays sale. After measuring both, the EDC2 handle is thicker and just a bit taller in all dimensions by about .2-.3mm. Both have unbuffed scales. It’s subtle but I don’t notice it very much because I mostly own custom handmade knives and there is always a difference in them.

Most noticeable is the belly and tip relation.

It's early and not enough coffee yet, but that sounds opposite to me. EDC2 is supposed to be thinner.

I'm confused.

Back