EDC - What's In Your Pocket(s)??? Part 2

I just wanted to thank those that liked my post. I feared it might offend people. Those things went crazy on the secondary market but I will never sell them. I buy things wisely. I have limited funds.

Nice Sebenza above. Is that one Idaho made? I loved them until he put the Idaho made. That is just my own stupidity. It is still the same knife. It is funny just like my stuff how now they want more for a used S30V.

I just wanted to thank those that liked my post. I feared it might offend people. Those things went crazy on the secondary market but I will never sell them. I buy things wisely. I have limited funds.

Nice Sebenza above. Is that one Idaho made? I loved them until he put the Idaho made. That is just my own stupidity. It is still the same knife. It is funny just like my stuff how now they want more for a used S30V.
Yep it’s Idaho made stamped. I think it’s a 2016 model

I guess you can count 2004 Maui Jim sunglasses neutral grey glass. I do not like the new ones. I hope that does not sound snobbish.

Not to me. I have several Maui Jims, all discontinued. Maybe because I'm a child of the '80s and '90s, maybe it's just the mental image I have of how I should look, but I prefer smaller lenses and simple frames. Not the wrap sport styles (I feel like a douchebag) or the massive "beach" style sunglasses that are apparently popular now, judging by the 87 companies that I keep seeing Facebook ads for, and all look identical, or the approximately 40 "different" current Maui Jim models that also all look the same.

116371776_3085949084833691_6981749844271114080_o.jpg

Beachcombers, Sundance, Hulu, Kilohanas , Tradewind, Coral Reef. I'm always trolling eBay and other sites for back-ups and different tints.

Out of curiosity, what's your model of choice?

Last edited:
Me too. You are a baby to me though. I am going to give away my age. You are my grand kids age. So if you hate that look you can plainly see why I dislike it. The big thing to me though, the lenses were superior. That is not a debate. It is in the specs. Same old thing. They got greedy. I mean Oakleys, not my style. They are good glasses though. Are all those Maui Jim yours? holy smokes! I thought I had nice stuff. I can't come close to that haul.

I got a Sebenza Chris himself made. One of the first. I think maybe about 130 bucks. I can imagine what I would get today. I think it is only 440C. Before he was even a company. I also have a S30V non Idaho I got used in great condition but messed up myself. Does anyone know what you call the different ones, non Idaho ETC? I think they are numbers I know one is "21". I always wished I had a unique graphic but probably never will.

Not to me. I have several Maui Jims, all discontinued. Maybe because I'm a child of the '80s and '90s, maybe it's just the mental image I have of how I should look, but I prefer smaller lenses and simple frames. Not the wrap sport styles (I feel like a douchebag) or the massive "beach" style sunglasses that are apparently popular now, judging by the 87 companies that I keep seeing Facebook ads for, and all look identical, or the approximately 40 "different" current Maui Jim models that also all look the same.

View attachment 1387369

Beachcombers, Sundance, Hulu, Kilohanas , Tradewind, Coral Reef. I'm always trolling eBay and other sites for back-ups and different tints.

Out of curiosity, what's your model of choice?
5C364817-A321-4975-A7EC-D48B65A49697.jpeg51C0B8A0-6A77-4CB4-B3A4-94155C6DA224.jpegC0722606-264E-4981-9C83-654A9BED9F6A.jpeg360036C8-86B7-4A50-9924-E9CB6BDE4625.jpeg The only MJ’s I have are Mj sport. No idea if that’s the model or anything like that. Ho’okipa is what is says inside of it. I’ve kept one pair good and in my personal truck. I used to wear them to work until I broke one pair. Now I keep the broke pair and wear “free dollar” pairs of nemesis at work.

They still made those a few years ago but they are not as good as an old pair.

No one should wear cheap sunglasses. They allow your pupils to open all the way and have no protection. So they make your eyes the most vulnerable and then let in all the harmful rays. In very rare cases people have even gone blind in less than an hour. Just a suggestion. If you go to Sunglass hut clearance area you can score good glasses for $65. Or maybe $45 at Saks off 5Th or Nordstrom rack,

Oh, your Sebenza has wood. Nice.

Are all those Maui Jim yours? holy smokes! I thought I had nice stuff. I can't come close to that haul.

Pictured are 2 Beachcombers, one in neutral grey and one in HCL bronze. I actually have 2 more in HCL bronze. One pair I wear as "beaters", one has slight frame damage (well, paint/coating damage) but perfect lenses, and one is perfect as is stowed away. 2 others in the picture are Kilohana, one in HCL bronze and one in Maui Rose. I have 2 other flawless HCL bronze ones stowed away, plus a great condition pair of frames (no lenses) that I plan on getting some Fuze lenses put in. The Kilohana are the lightest of them all, and swapping the glass lenses for plastic will make them even more featherlight.

All except for the neutral grey Beachcombers, I've bought them all off eBay and poshmark for about $100 or less (often much less) each. The neutral grey Beachcombers I bought new for about $250 (check on eBay for new or mint ones and you'll see that even that's a bargain), and those came from freaking Moldova. I'm still looking for a good condition used pair for "beaters", but all that I've seen for many months were either trashed or way too expensive (usually both). I'd kinda like a pair of black Beachcomber frames to put HCL bronze lenses in because although I like the "espresso" colored ones the HCL bronze ones come in well enough, black is definitely sexier. Except in Tucson in July when the frames can get a bit hot.

The big thing to me though, the lenses were superior. That is not a debate. It is in the specs.

Definitely fantastic optics. The glass lenses anyway, I can't speak for any of their plastic types (I'm sure they're great, but no plastic is better than glass - yet). I actually prefer Serengetis though.

ffxiZlN.jpg

(as you can see...)

It's debatable, and possibly subjective, but I think the optical edge goes to Serengeti (they were founded by Corning, after all, and still use Corning glass). It might be the tinting though, which I certainly prefer from Serengeti over Maui Jim. The contrast enhancement of the "Drivers" lenses is amazing, if a bit unnatural, making the world look so boring when you take them off. Maui Jim's HCL bronze does a great job with contrast enhancement too (HCL meaning High Contrast Lens) too, and is far more accurate (or rather, less inaccurate) in presenting the world to you, but I find myself wishing they were just a bit darker, particularly this time of year. The HCL bronze is definitely my favorite Maui Jim tint. I honestly don't care much for the neutral grey because it really dulls colors, but they're exceptionally dark, which is good this time of year. Serengeti's 555nm grey green offer far better contrast enhancement than other grey green lenses I've tried (Ray-ban G15, Vuarnet, Sunglassfix replacements), in that they don't just tint, they let in a bit more of certain spectrums to enhance bright colors where other lenses just tint them. The difference between Serengeti's grey green and Ray-ban's G-15 (who apparently pioneered it, or at least made it popular) is surprisingly dramatic. I do not like the Maui Rose. They make everything look like rose-colored puke.

I'm 40 and still have 20/20 or better vision, so I protect my eyes from the Arizona sun. And when my vision finally starts going, I'll have plenty of great frames to choose from for prescription glasses.

View attachment 1387540View attachment 1387544View attachment 1387545View attachment 1387553 The only MJ’s I have are Mj sport. No idea if that’s the model or anything like that. Ho’okipa is what is says inside of it. I’ve kept one pair good and in my personal truck. I used to wear them to work until I broke one pair. Now I keep the broke pair and wear “free dollar” pairs of nemesis at work.

Call up Maui Jim. They'll fix those for cheap or possibly even free. They do offer free nose pieces and temples straight from their website, but I don't know if the temple piece means the entire arm or just the rubber/plastic on the ends. Apart from getting some nose pieces I've never used their customer service, but everything I've read says they have by far the best in the business.

Pictured are 2 Beachcombers, one in neutral grey and one in HCL bronze. I actually have 2 more in HCL bronze. One pair I wear as "beaters", one has slight frame damage (well, paint/coating damage) but perfect lenses, and one is perfect as is stowed away. 2 others in the picture are Kilohana, one in HCL bronze and one in Maui Rose. I have 2 other flawless HCL bronze ones stowed away, plus a great condition pair of frames (no lenses) that I plan on getting some Fuze lenses put in. The Kilohana are the lightest of them all, and swapping the glass lenses for plastic will make them even more featherlight.

All except for the neutral grey Beachcombers, I've bought them all off eBay and poshmark for about $100 or less (often much less) each. The neutral grey Beachcombers I bought new for about $250 (check on eBay for new or mint ones and you'll see that even that's a bargain), and those came from freaking Moldova. I'm still looking for a good condition used pair for "beaters", but all that I've seen for many months were either trashed or way too expensive (usually both). I'd kinda like a pair of black Beachcomber frames to put HCL bronze lenses in because although I like the "espresso" colored ones the HCL bronze ones come in well enough, black is definitely sexier. Except in Tucson in July when the frames can get a bit hot.

Definitely fantastic optics. The glass lenses anyway, I can't speak for any of their plastic types (I'm sure they're great, but no plastic is better than glass - yet). I actually prefer Serengetis though.

ffxiZlN.jpg

(as you can see...)

It's debatable, and possibly subjective, but I think the optical edge goes to Serengeti (they were founded by Corning, after all, and still use Corning glass). It might be the tinting though, which I certainly prefer from Serengeti over Maui Jim. The contrast enhancement of the "Drivers" lenses is amazing, if a bit unnatural, making the world look so boring when you take them off. Maui Jim's HCL bronze does a great job with contrast enhancement too (HCL meaning High Contrast Lens) too, and is far more accurate (or rather, less inaccurate) in presenting the world to you, but I find myself wishing they were just a bit darker, particularly this time of year. The HCL bronze is definitely my favorite Maui Jim tint. I honestly don't care much for the neutral grey because it really dulls colors, but they're exceptionally dark, which is good this time of year. Serengeti's 555nm grey green offer far better contrast enhancement than other grey green lenses I've tried (Ray-ban G15, Vuarnet, Sunglassfix replacements), in that they don't just tint, they let in a bit more of certain spectrums to enhance bright colors where other lenses just tint them. The difference between Serengeti's grey green and Ray-ban's G-15 (who apparently pioneered it, or at least made it popular) is surprisingly dramatic. I do not like the Maui Rose. They make everything look like rose-colored puke.

I'm 40 and still have 20/20 or better vision, so I protect my eyes from the Arizona sun. And when my vision finally starts going, I'll have plenty of great frames to choose from for prescription glasses.

Call up Maui Jim. They'll fix those for cheap or possibly even free. They do offer free nose pieces and temples straight from their website, but I don't know if the temple piece means the entire arm or just the rubber/plastic on the ends. Apart from getting some nose pieces I've never used their customer service, but everything I've read says they have by far the best in the business.
I’ll give it a shot. Thank ya

MJ cust service is 100%. Tidbit. Before 2005 the neutral grey glass lens was 10% light transmission. After 2005 until present it is 12%, Plus better optics. They were made by Nikon back then.
My Volcano has appreciated a lot. It might look crazy to you but I am a little guy.

MJ cust service is 100%. Tidbit. Before 2005 the neutral grey glass lens was 10% light transmission. After 2005 until present it is 12%, Plus better optics. They were made by Nikon back then.

Ooh, I had some Nikon sunglasses years ago. They were amazing. These had an amber/rose tint that was similar to Serengetis. I retired them because of scratches, and only Serengetis came close to the same vivid color and contrast enhancement. I've been trying to find the same pair, or ones with the same tint, and haven't in years of trolling eBay.

My Volcano has appreciated a lot. It might look crazy to you but I am a little guy.

Huh?

I mean my 2004 Maui Jim volcano model. It would not look good on a larger man i meant. The lenses from MJ were far superior back then. They were 10% light transmission. Today, 12%. The lower, the more costly to make, Plus they had much better acuity. I took very good care of them. Not one scratch. I see on Ebay $1,000! Back then they sold new for $175 with glass lenses. If you are a member, look at closed auctions. I feel they were the best sunglasses ever made,

stormdrane I love saks too. Is that a Maratac? How did you keep it so shiny? Mine are all crusty.

Back