EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

today339.jpg

today340.jpg

MAXRgqE.jpg

First time ever trying friction fire.
Never been so winded to get no result! :D I got smoke several times but nothing enogh to get fire going. The stick flew off about 50 times, lot of cursing, even layed on ground on my back panting of frustration.
But still no regrets afterwards! :D
I never tried that! Watched it done in alot of videos. I was going to put the spindle in a cordless drill and if I got fire, then I'd try the bow. I think certain types of wood just work better.

I never tried that! Watched it done in alot of videos. I was going to put the spindle in a cordless drill and if I got fire, then I'd try the bow. I think certain types of wood just work better.

Wood is propably my problem. I tried googling and I read that in Finland it’s pretty hard to find proper wood for it. I remember there was this goofball techinque once in youtube where someone tied the cord to their feet and ”paddled” the stick. Seemed to work really fast. I think that way would require some sort of special socket though, maybe with long handle.

MAXRgqE.jpg

First time ever trying friction fire.
Never been so winded to get no result! :D I got smoke several times but nothing enogh to get fire going. The stick flew off about 50 times, lot of cursing, even layed on ground on my back panting of frustration.
But still no regrets afterwards! :D

Its easier if you can get a piece of antler for the brace! A nice small piece that you can hold in your teeth and keep pressure on with your whole head/neck/shoulders! It sounds silly but it worx great!

Mainly the Tsarap and Obake today. I'm still breaking in the Tsarap, which is always a bit of a fun process in its own right. :)

The Obake is my first CRKT fixed blade -- and the first CRKT knife I've ever unequivocally liked right out of the box. (Maybe I'll actually keep this one! ;)) I'm not a fan of 8Cr14MoV, but for this knife's intended use and at a street price of ~$25 it's perfectly acceptable. Apart from that, you could swap in a better steel and I'd never have guessed it was a CRKT. Fit and finish is good, sheath retention is great, and the cord wrap handle is executed well.

6Znk5yT.jpg

77ARLBM.jpg

Back