EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Death to all things cardboard!

TwC1Hte.jpg

That uhhh...I'd have to see that in action, because just from reading, it sounds like a terrible idea, to possibly loosen or knock out a tooth in a camping, off-grid sort of environment!

I actually saw.it.used. by a guy and I hear ya! Saying it sounds bassackwards, but seeing it made me do it as well. Its also been done by Glenn on Life below zero too!

Gives you a whole new respect for cavemen, eh? ;-)

I wondered how long they've been around, so I looked it up: 450 million years!

That 20CV blade deserves a nicely-honed micro bevel. Your pic is big and clear enough that we can see how coarse the factory edge grind is. Give it 10 min. @ 40° on the Sharpmaker and it would be a thing of beauty. Probably would go all year without a re-sharpen...
Benchmade is known for a toothy edge but it actually is a great working edge especially for rope. If and when it ever needs to be sharpened since I normally always strop them after light use. But I would love to try maybe 35 to 40 degrees conclusive on my edge pro but we shall see. Or if I’m lazy 40 degrees on my sharpmaker :D

Could you explain a bit about how that holosun optic attaches to the slide of your glock please?

It's an aftermarket slide that is milled to accept a Trijicon or Holosun red dot. It mounts with 2 screws through the base of the sight. A lot of the factory slides that come optic ready have different mounting plates for various brands of sights. I don't have any unmounted pics, but here is an overhead look at it.

Still carrying my 31. Can't remember if I posted this pic here before.

I never got any pics of today's carry as I was down in the basement working on the base I'm adding to the new furnace to bring it up to the same height as the old highboy so I won't have to disassemble the duct work and fab a taller plenum. I got the outer shell designed, laid out, and cut including the two holes for cold air return and filter tray. J says it sounds like a there's a dwarf banging on the "pipes" in the basement as I get the old ducts properly aligned and temporarily supported to lay out the height of the new base and the cutout for the existing return.

Anyway, how long discontinued does a knife have to be for Throwback Thursday? I'm not sure just when Shiro stopped making the Hati on washers, but it's been a while. Regardless, these are definitely throwback pics I pulled out of my files to make up for today's lack of knife photography diligence.

b1oTvJ8.jpg

UaBm1sr.jpg

Geez, it's late. After writing the two paragraphs above, I was sitting here thinking about the cutouts for the return and filter and realized my approach was making things a lot harder than they needed to be. I went downstairs, re-cut both openings, and bent up the top and bottom flanges. Burning the midnight oil is the downside of working at home, but a late hour-and-a-half tonight will save me several hours tomorrow and I'll be able to move on to the next step after making four simple corner bends in the box brake.

Back