EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

If I had to pick two, it would be my Explorer Plus and my Grip. Gotta have my toothpick, hehehe.

To me, the original Griptilian's scale traction was too sharp, so I'm all about dressing it up.

Your “09” Soldier is actually a Model 08 Soldier first issued in 2009. Take care of it because they are becoming collectible. I had two and got rid of them.
Stupid move on my part.

I have a Pattern 61 Alox Soldier made in 08. Would have made a fun mini collection with the new 08 Soldier model like yours.

As for Griptilian scales, my complaint is the shape of the scales. I would like scales more like Emerson’s CQC7.

Last edited:
Well, I'm with Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery in really liking that pic, man. I've also always really liked that model knife too. Funny, I was tempted to grab one when they were out but failed to pull the trigger on two fronts. Firstly, I believe they were only available in the Mini configuration and that size, as much as I love Grips, is really too small for my mitts. I've had two and kept just one, enhanced in hand by Wilkins grips. The second reason was I thought it seemed a bit pricey for a Griptilian at the time, but when you look at what I've done to my 550s, 551s, 555, 556, and large & small Ritters, 4 with Wilkins and 3 with Igordeds, most of those came in north of your 551-1702 price wise. Go figure, eh, but there's lots to this knife-nuttiness that makes little sense anyway. :confused:

I hear what you’re saying on the reasons you passed. My ideal mitt fit always seems to want that missing Goldilocks size between smalls and larges (still pining for a Sebenza medium), but for an EDC I lean towards the smaller side so it worked out here. Also agree it was pricey for a BM, however, once I had it in hand that nuttiness you speak of took over and by the time I returned to my senses it was at home with me. It really is a nice knife from Benchmade and this particular one was perfect in all aspects, I had to pull the trigger.

What I’ve seen of your 5xx lineup looks pretty darn good to me, often prompting some mild jealousy for some of the ones you’ve put together. However, like me, I’m sure you have run into many people that comment on guys like us that start owning/modifying multiple copies of the same model, and somewhat agree we are in a sandbox that common sense has probably departed from. Oh well, what fun would it be if prudence always had to rule? :)

I hear what you’re saying on the reasons you passed. My ideal mitt fit always seems to want that missing Goldilocks size between smalls and larges (still pining for a Sebenza medium), but for an EDC I lean towards the smaller side so it worked out here. Also agree it was pricey for a BM, however, once I had it in hand that nuttiness you speak of took over and by the time I returned to my senses it was at home with me. It really is a nice knife from Benchmade and this particular one was perfect in all aspects, I had to pull the trigger.

What I’ve seen of your 5xx lineup looks pretty darn good to me, often prompting some mild jealousy for some of the ones you’ve put together. However, like me, I’m sure you have run into many people that comment on guys like us that start owning/modifying multiple copies of the same model, and somewhat agree we are in a sandbox that common sense has probably departed from. Oh well, what fun would it be if prudence always had to rule? :)
That's an interesting metaphor, my friend, and I trust you'd agree that while we can build to our hearts' content in the sandbox, we never climbed in there to do anything but have some fun. ;)

TGIF.....my “load out” for a crappy day of desk diving......point me in the direction of coffee please!View attachment 1442435

Тнеге

16035173470681.jpg

Oh, but that sandbox is so fun!! Good friends in it too. :)

My carry today for my B-Day. And yes, that is snow. :/
236A0421-CF36-43E3-9388-8F314AA90A10.jpeg 99DA93C6-EEB8-4E58-8CC8-532696DD6639.jpeg 28F1FA42-A3A8-4C02-A9E6-286F29DB33FF.jpeg

Man, that Sebenza is just so damn cool. A great edc kit for a great guy. Happy birthday, friend! Hope you have a good one... considering where you live, I’m guessing a little snow does’t slow you down one bit.

Naw...we know the drill...snow ain’t but a thang. :) Planning on marking and cutting a trail to the pond today, gonna make a bridge over the narrowest portion (60 ft) to access the back 50. Some duck and upland hunting planned with my wife and brother this weekend. Hopefully the snow and cold get the northern birds movin’.

Hope you have a great day, and thank you for the kind words and the b-day wishes.

Back