1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by rycen, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Jpd0144, xraso, Edgeoflife and 15 others like this.
  2. Rich Davis

Rich Davis Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 4, 2016
    I'm home all day so what I have right now is an Opinel Arpege 2013. If I go out I'll take my PM2. Going out for an anniversary dinner later this week.so I'll take a Leek, so to speak.

3. rasta bomb

rasta bomb

Sep 24, 2016
    Getting in on page 500...

[​IMG]

Jpd0144, Edgeoflife, lzeplin and 9 others like this.
  4. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I had heard of the Officer, Lapedog, but being unfamiliar with it checked out some vids, reviews, and sales threads. Interesting knife that seems well-made, so thanks for suggesting it.

You're quite right that the SnG is a great design, all the Strider b.s. notwithstanding. Seems kinda funny to say, but I think its lack of refinement is part of the appeal--it's just a bare-bones piece with a unique handle design that fits my mitts just great. I pocketed it today cleaning up my messy shop and changing out tooling in the aftermath of completing the units and installing my art-storage project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dado set was caked with resin and not too sharp when I started plowing out plywood sides for all the drawer bottoms. I cleaned it up beforehand as best I could, but the hard maple rails for the pull-out shelves really finished it off and it's headed out to be sharpened now.

5. ironclad816

ironclad816

Sep 17, 2016
    Jpd0144, neal70, Sergeua and 14 others like this.
  6. HikingIsLife

HikingIsLife Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2011
    It is a two-tone blade. Stonewashed with Satin Flats

Fullflat likes this.
  7. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
  8. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    The recent Tenacious vs RAT1 thread got me thinking, so I decided to pull out the RAT1 and pocket it today.

I've always thought of my combo bladed AUS-8 RAT1 as a "camp" type knife and I still do but there is certainly no reason why you can't carry it as an EDC. It fits/feels better in my hand than the Tenacious but it's heavier and more noticeable in my pocket. The RAT1's blade is is slightly longer and shaped better for heavier and more varied use IMO, as would be expected on a hike or camping trip.

The use of AUS-8 vs 8Cr13Mov has been discussed on the Net and the general consensus is that the differences between them is negligible; they are both durable "enough" and can be easily sharpened w/a pocket stone. A D2 RAT1 would be more durable but would be more difficult to resharpen, may be be more prone to rust and is also a bit more expensive than one using AUS-8.

I'm not a blade snob and have a lot of knives w/very expensive premium steel but prefer blades that I can easily resharpen myself. So, my personal preference for the RAT1 is AUS-8 over D2.

After carrying the RAT1 for a day, I'd still prefer to carry the Tenacious for EDC use because the Tenacious feels smaller/lighter in my hand/pocket and its blade shape is sufficient for normal daily use. On the other hand, I'd still rather carry the RAT1 on the trail. So, my general opinion about these knives remains unchanged but for about $30 the RAT1 is hard to beat regardless of how you choose to use it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Jpd0144, Argle, ChazzyP and 6 others like this.
  9. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    BM Griptilian+Mini
    Like Father&Son...
    E7AAFDE8-DAFA-4291-A27D-14ECF9F539D3.jpeg
    Getting in on page 500...wow, great thread:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  10. miles johnston

miles johnston Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2018
    hinderer half track

Edgeoflife likes this.
  11. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
  12. evanofcain

evanofcain

Feb 14, 2012
  13. Keyman

Keyman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 26, 2001
  14. Etna

Etna

Jun 17, 2015
    Gerber Airlift. 5cr15mov. Reprofilled to 17dps. Cuts like a monster. Loving it, but hate the gold-coloured plating over the blade.
    [​IMG]

15. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
  16. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Plain Jane Large Inkozi
    [​IMG]

17. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
  18. Rich Davis

Rich Davis Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 4, 2016
    My Scallion today.

[​IMG]

19. filtrum

filtrum

Jun 25, 2014
    Am sure it is stonewash after black oxidizing or coating. Am talking exactly about this procedure. Looks same as regular stonewash because of same media .

ChazzyP and lzeplin like this.
  20. Spikediesel

Spikediesel Spare time SAK builder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2018