EDChef Pass Around Thread

Pass around should be:

• EDChef

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Prevail

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Barax

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Something different/new (and please explain in a post, thanks!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm in.......

If it makes sense to you, you can package it up with the rest of my orders?
:D

I'll ship it off to the next lucky person After i'm done with it.... haha. (how long do we get?)

Hurrul is first in line in the thread, so I'll follow that for simplicity and transparency. Anyone who has an EDChef is welcome to participate as well, given that they will not yet have handled this EDChef. A pass around can benefit by trying out a new design, but I can also receive feedback on the updates I have made to the design. After all every knife is a little different, given they are all hand made (or hand finished in the case of plasma and water cut blades), and I learn as I go.

I am open to the length of time, but somewhere between 1 week and 2 seems to be reasonable. Thoughts on this anyone?

I think I'd like to be in as well David, I haven't really used any other than the one I currently pack around and use in the kitchen almost daily. Have you decided on blade steel and handle material yet?

In response to your question in the previous post, I think 2 weeks is a good time frame, that'll give anyone who doesn't use a knife every day a chance to at least get some cutting time in. I personally might go a week only making a couple of cuts, but 2 weeks definitely gives me an idea of what I've got.

Sounds good sir. It will be one in 1084, which is the only EDChef blank I have in stock already heat treated. Time frame was set back a little, but this is still on the agenda.

Four so far. At two weeks each that's two months, I figure there's room for two more participants and that gives us a pass around that takes a total of 3 months, give or take. Sounds reasonable for my first pass around?

The 2 week time frame works for me as well.

While I have 2 EDchefs, I am curious to see one in 1084. I've have another 1084 blade from David, and found it to be a breeze to sharpen. I think this pass around piece might be similar.

Not likely I'll use the pass around piece to the point that it needs any significant maintenance, but by the time it reaches the final user, who knows?

Sorry for the confusion FOG2 FOG2 I PMed you this when I meant to make it a post! 😊

Here's how it's looking so far. Hoping to have it ready to go out with next week's mail. 1084 steel, forge heat treated by Andy Pomorski here in town after I cut it out with an angle grinder. Slight update on the design. The EDChef has always been lighter on the EDC than the chef, so trial features on this version include an unsharpened ricasso area to allow more handle scale material at the front for sheath retention and safety.

IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2962.JPG

Just about handle time for this one. I'll choose the material you guys suggest, that I have available to the project. Kind of like wishful guessing. Be even as specific as colo(u)r if you like. ;)

Maybe a little texturing... My only issue there is it's still a knife that's focused primarily on food prep. The blade drop keeps the hand from sliding forward. I use mine in a pinch grip even when I'm doing things like cutting rope and opening bags of concrete (yes mine has done quite a bit of both), so a textured handle almost seems unnecessary.

If I may be so bold David, one thing I think might be cool would be to leave the front portion of the blade squared off and only contour the back to facilitate using the spine to scrape things. I don't know if anyone else shares the same sentiment, but it's something I've considered...

If I may be so bold David, one thing I think might be cool would be to leave the front portion of the blade squared off and only contour the back to facilitate using the spine to scrape things. I don't know if anyone else shares the same sentiment, but it's something I've considered...
I use the back of my knives for scraping/peeling ginger, so it seems right to me.
I could see the whole back spine sharp

Back