ESEE-5 vs ESEE-6

I don't own either, but I would get the ESEE-5 for a "SHTF" knife and an Izula for camping and general use. The Izula would be a little small for a camp knife, but i'd be a lot cheaper than buying a ESEE-6.

I'm a noob, don't really listen to me :D

After much looking and spec checking, and prices, In other words I take a long hard look before I buy most things. As for why I bought a 6 (one of the best camp knives I've ever tested) as for the SHTF probs, I have most all the bases covered in every way. So I ordered what seemed more user friendly to me, as I am outdoors alot. So hence the 6. (it has out done any other knife in its size so far) Thats my buck $ a 1/2 34 cent op. enjoy. edgy :thumbup:

I tackled the same issue for the last few days; with the exeption that i was comparing the entire ESEE line. i already had a hunglas, and wanted a "little brother"for it. i already have a couple of ESEE 3 and 4 size fixed blades that are very nice quality. and i did not want to get an izula; i already have some very strong folders that would take care of that area. so it came down to the ESEE 5 and 6. i would honestly have to say, if i was a professional survivalist, or spent a lot of time chipping my way through concrete walls as a soldier over in the middle east-than yeah, i would might consider the ESEE 5. The truth is though, i would probably go with the 6. the 5 looks like an exelent knife, but (TO ME) it borders on impractical for the average working man, mountaineer, and soldier. its way heavy, and if you thinned the blade, and added a bit in length, i would think that one could baton just as successfully with the assistance of a stick to hammer with.

I just went through this battle myself and after much debate and research, I went with the ESEE-6. Let me say, I'm glad I did. This thing is everything I was looking for with the fit and balance that will allow for use doing just about anything. I just can't imagine myself ever needing that thick 1/4" blade of the 5. However it is an awesome blade as all of ESEE's products and I will eventually own both.

I decided to go with the 6 as well. Man, what an excellent knife. I was starting to lean towards the 5 because of the thicker blade but now holding the 6 in hand the blade feels very substantial. The additional length might come in handy.

The 6 was my first ESEE, bought it without ever touching another in the lineup, its the best knife that i own for heavy use, i have held the 5 once while camping my "neighbor" had it and it was a very capable blade but would not give my 6 up to own that instead. If i could only have 1 to keep for woods walks, camping and such its the 6 hands down. But if you need to cut yourself out of a burning house or car I may choose the 5 instead, but chances are high i wouldnt have the 5 with me so my 6 would do it and do it well. IMO:D

I mainly prefer 4" blades, but recently decided to replace my basecamp/pack axe with a bigger blade for processing wood during the colder months. I was looking to save some weight yet retain most of the capability. After holding both the E-5 and E-6, I chose the E-6. It was kind of a no brainer for me. The 5 feels like a brick and is unwieldy imo. The 6 is lighter, better balanced, just as capable, and cheaper. I still cant figure out why anyone would want such a thick and heavy knife in a 5 inch blade. You know what they say though, to each his own.

Have both, got the 5 first. Very different knives and quite noticeably different feel in the hand. However, the 5 is obviously the better of the two because it has the skull logo.:p

I too am debating this question. I like the thickness of the 5, but i like hte longer blade of the 6. This would be my woods/ camp blade along with a small folder or maybe an Izula. It sounds like the 5 would be a better chopper/ survival blade.

hrm... tough decision....

I had to choose between one of the two as well, can't afford both right now, so I chose the 5 for these reasons, I have a big hand, like really thick blades, and want to be able to beat the hell out of it if needed, plus I like the glass breaker/head crusher. My two cents worth...

I don't own a 6, but my 5 came razor sharp from ESEE and slices better than my 4. Go figure! I love it so mucy I use it as an EDC pretty regular. Sure, it's a bit big, but after packing a 1911 on your hip for years, an ESEE 5 is no big deal. I always keep a little Case folder in my pocket just in case someone needs to borrow a blade for a minor task. Don't want to freak out the natives too bad. :)

I don't own a 6, but my 5 came razor sharp from ESEE and slices better than my 4. Go figure! I love it so mucy I use it as an EDC pretty regular. Sure, it's a bit big, but after packing a 1911 on your hip for years, an ESEE 5 is no big deal. I always keep a little Case folder in my pocket just in case someone needs to borrow a blade for a minor task. Don't want to freak out the natives too bad. :)

I feel exactly the same, except i edc the 6 quite often and spyderco endora4, when people need a blade and i give them the endura they look at me with that look of, WOW why do you carry such a big knife....... If they only knew. HEHE:eek::D

I also recently waged this inner war with myself. Thankfully I won!!! I got the 6 and I have to say it's the perfect "big" knife for me. It certainly has heft but it "handles" light if that makes any sense. I was raised on Kabars, but would never give the 6 back for any of them.

i went with the "5", for a few reasons: (1) i felt it would be easier to conceal and i wanted an EDC (2) thought i'd appreciate the glass breaker, i don't, it makes it difficult to pound into things by slamming on the butt. plus i can't remember one incident where i had difficulty finding a way to break glass (3) the skull logo. say whatever you want, style might not be a priority, but by God it is a concern :D (4) the best reason.... i knew it was just an 'order of purchase' not a 'which one' decision because i'll end up with the whole line up before it's over with :)

i currently EDC the "5", sometimes openly, sometimes concealed. it's a wonderfully versatile knife :)

Simply put, the ESEE-6 is the flagship of our "wilderness survival knives" (Damn I hate that bullshit saying) and the ESEE-5 is more of a SERE / Air Mobile knife.

It is interesting how often this debate comes up. Even more so to me because I still have this internal debate; thus, take note and read them all. I suspect for others may be the same issue I have. I don't have the funds to buy all the knives. Otherwise, there would be no debate. I recognize the knives are different and really have different uses with some overlap. I can't speak from experience as I do not own either knife. I started with the ESEE 4 as my knife i carry for day hiking and when I hunt. It was a great choice. I then thought I needed that knife for when the SHTF. I don't want to buy a knife that just sits in the safe, so I would like that "if I only had one . . ." knife to also be a good knife as a larger blade for the woods and possible survival situation. It seems that ESEE 6 would be the best for that, but I really like the sheath on the ESEE 5 better because of the tension adjustment, it's kydex, and it has a drain hole. I would love to hear more from the seasoned guys that own both. I read som many conflicting opinions on the sabre grind versus the flat grind related to which is better for batonning wood. Also differnet opinions on the best chopper.

Mike and Jeff, if you had to carry one knife (excluding the izula since it is so easy to carry anyway) what knife is that for you? What knife do you use in your training? What about your NARC jobs?

I just can't seem to to resolve this conflict for me and I really can only buy one more knife for a while.

I don't think a person can ever carry just one blade. The 4 is awesome and I own a few. It makes a great EDC and holds its own in the woods. The HEST is great too. Does more than the 4 in some ways, but also does less. I love the 5 and it makes a great EDC if you get rid of the silly lowrider clip it comes with and put a Tekloc on it. The 6 is great, but too long for legal carry here in Texas, so for me there is no point. I can carry up to a 5.5 inch blade, so the 5 is my go-to blade. I still keep a small Case folder in my pocket to lend out at work or cut my lunch, etc, when pulling out the 5 might be overkill. But it's nice to know it's there. I think the 5/HEST combo is great and you can't go wrong, but everyone should have a small folder in their pocket regardless.

I'm surprised that there hasnt been a thread on this yet, but this is just for fun anyway so here goes...
I know that the ESEE-5 and -6 are very alike, but in your opinions, which is better and which tasks are they respectively better for?
Thanks guys all opinions are welcome :D

They're not really " very alike" at all other than the fact they're sharp, pointy and made of 1095 carbon steel. From there, they deviate quite bit with design and purpose.

On the surface they look sorta similar I guess. I've got both of them and like them both very much, but prefer the 5 over the 6. For me personally I find it to me a little more versatile. Results though may vary.

Each is going to exceed at different tasks obviously and out do the other in certain areas. And as to what areas and tasks, some are obvious, some are kinda trial and error honestly.

If you're looking at either though, flip a coin, either way you'll be getting a really good blade that's tough and has an unmatched warranty. You really can't lose no matter your choice.

My personal opinion though, buy both and make up your mind from there. If you really end up not liking one of them, I have no doubt someone in the forums here would be happy to take it off your hands.

Good luck!

Back