Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

I have just ordered a Recon 1, XL Voyager and a backup Scout. Then I lucked on a Carbon V Trail Master in stunning condition for a great price. I'll have to calm down now.

Great news! CS and Lynn Thompson have long been the cringey ‘Cousin Eddie’ of the knife industry/hobby. Now they’re right where they’ve always belonged. Good Riddance!

Yea! A business you don't like that many others do is most likely going to tank, awesome! A couple dozen passionate employees got canned right before the holidays *air high five*! A company that inspired many, many people to step up from garbage flea market and gas station junk to something a bit better is no more *shreds air guitar and pelvic grinds*.

I'm no huge CS fan. I find a lot of their boisterous over the top marketing goofy, and I basically moved on from most of their products in my early 20s. However, lots of people like their stuff, and kool-aid or not, they like the flavor Thompson was pouring.

People are bummed about this. It would be more tactful to mind your muddy boots, in my humble and not asked for opinion.

I bought one more SK-5 Recon Tanto.

4 hours later I was informed I'll get laid off at the end of the year.

Now I'm just... being here completley puzzled, writing on this forum to calm down and thinking would I buy this Recon Tanto if I knew I'm getting booted...
But for some reason this knife is my only comfort I have until I get home. And I kinda wanted to leave this job for a while, just not in the middle of this situation.

I called a friend to vent, he got an email with that same information earlier today.
2020 isn't good...

I can just hope that this is a new start of something good, I'm gonna save that knife as "The knife I bought the day I lost my job"...

Now I'm just... being here completley puzzled, writing on this forum to calm down and thinking would I buy this Recon Tanto if I knew I'm getting booted...
But for some reason this knife is my only comfort I have until I get home. And I kinda wanted to leave this job for a while, just not in the middle of this situation.

I called a friend to vent, he got an email with that same information earlier today.
2020 isn't good...

I can just hope that this is a new start of something good, I'm gonna save that knife as "The knife I bought the day I lost my job"...

Sorry to hear that Smiling. But I do know quite a few people that went through similar scenarios and came out the other side in a much better place both financially and employment wise. Good luck and happy holidays to you and yours.

2020 isn't good...

Sorry to hear that...hope things turn around in 2021

2020 isn't good...

Terrible news. Keep your head up. One door closes, another opens...look for the door...you never know what’s behind it. Good luck.

People loved to talk smack about Lynn's antics, but he innovated the industry in the heyday every bit as much as Sal or Les. This is a HUGE loss that we will feel the impact of in the future, Cold Steel was always a solid recommendation for a high value working knife.

2020 isn't good...

Sorry to hear that. One day at a time.

This is interesting. I've followed GSM for a long time. "Good Sportsman Marketing" Hopefully they can add more than just marketing to this brand, but I have seen them turn many thriving small businesses that were customer focused into machines that lose the praise and authority the founders fought so hard for. Their customer service is notoriously not very good, I

2020 isn't good...

Sorry for the news, brother.

Take the weekend to reset your brain and come out the other side happier.

2020 isn't good...

That is a bucket of suck. Keep your chin up, if you can. And if you ever can't, hit us up here. Knife knuts stick together ;)

Since I cut the bejeezus out of my opening thumb two days ago, I have elected to switch up my carry work knife until it heals up a bit.

I've decided to take the Voyager XL out for a walk in honor of what Cold Steel represents. Big, loud, strong, and unapologetically over the top for over the top sake.
20201204-073356.jpg

I mean look at this bruiser compared to the rest of what I have on me today...ridiculous. But I enjoy Its excessive charm.

2020 isn't good...

There will be opportunities you dont see yet. You'll one day say it was the knife you got the day you got free of the job you hated.

What else does 2020 have to throw into our faces? Is Ganzo going to buy CRK? When holding companies or shell companies take over a business it usually bodes ill for the employees.

Oh well, I have a bunch of CS knives and rarely carry a large heavy knife but a Khan was always on my radar. I just grabbed one while they're still available.

Best wishes to Lynn Thompson in his future endeavors.

Back