Everyone's latest acquisitions!

i4guEmH.jpg
Got to spend 10-15 minutes shooting the breeze with the man himself and I will never forget it

Nice Brian, glad they arrived safe and I figured you'd get those boxes into use right away after I saw all those Bokers you showed recently ;)

the boxes are ones that we use to get from a company in Germany that sold us sensors and lights for our inspection equipment. When the boxes were emptied I'd keep a close watch out for them and try to grab them before someone threw them out. I was fortunate to get some over the years but the company had changed how they shipped and the supply ran out and I am down to a few left.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The mountain scene wouldn't fit so well on the smaller folder sheath, so I opted for what I call the Northstar embossing, tricky to keep things separate when dying but it makes a nicer look

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2
Amazing sheath work Gary. The two-tone carving detail really looks handsome and sets your work apart. I need to come up with a project for you soon. :thumbsup:

Phil

Thanks Phil those are embossing but I do it a little different from the norm I use a large C-clamp to press the embossing stamp into the leather and repeat that after each dye application as the leather can swell up a bit and pressing again helps keep it crisp
G2

Long-winded backstory:

For me, sometimes there’s just an emotional connection with the aesthetics of a knife that resonates immediately.

That’s how it was when I stumbled upon these Forge De Laguiole collaborations with French graffiti/street artist “Seize Happywallmaker”.

I’ll be honest, I don’t know anything more about the artist than what the literature and a brief internet search revealed.....but the moment I saw the designs they put a smile on my face.

For whatever reason, I was taken back to the 80’s....that was the “connection” for me. The artwork conjured up flashes of my late-teens, early-twenties....eliciting more references, images and memories than I could ever begin to list.

That’s the beauty of art; it stirs different emotions in everyone....and you really never know what you’re looking for until you see it. Heck, a lot of the time you see something in a place you weren’t actually looking for it.

And that was the case here. I was simply perusing knives, and I wound up with something that feels more like art....and I think that’s where much of the value and appeal we find in knives resides. Sometimes we connect with or see them as tools or a perfect blend of form and function. We may fall in love with the geometry, the materials used or the craftsmanship involved. Some hold sentimental value, remind us of people in our lives or connect us to the past. Occasionally, they simply trigger an emotion.

I guess at the end of the day, my point is that while they’re all just knives....we see and take many different things in and from each of them; and it’s that diversity that can make this such an enjoyable hobby/pursuit. For me, it’s what defines my sense of owning a “collection”.....rather than simply having a big-ol’ pile of knives. Of course, to my wife........they’re still just a big ol’ pile of knives.

Lol, apologies for the rambling, romanticized take on knives. Just thought I’d share what was in my head when I decided I had to have these.

The blue one (Vega) arrived early this week. The “Antares” came last night.

FFFB9C9F-E428-4F1E-A17A-70BF55A9ABBE.jpeg4940BBFC-544F-4C45-947C-A928519AC66F.jpegF39DBEED-D8C4-47AF-8ECE-4E2921ACC03D.jpeg00E10FC2-539E-4F44-BB00-9BD62510926B.jpegEE222BE9-77F6-4EA4-9315-675D664714F9.jpeg8A5AB1C8-4DB3-4E02-B779-0034C2DB25D2.jpeg3B879AFC-242B-4CA5-BC8D-7F012B5D43BD.jpeg

Last edited:
lrdzN4r.jpg

Bradford 3.5 in 3V.
Arrived shaving sharp, and could tree top the hairs on my head, but maybe a few burrs near the ricasso. Comfortable handle. Just a bit bigger than the Izula 2 and a tad smaller than the Esee 3, without the choil, the only thing I disliked hard on the 3. This is a keeper!

bwZIr0J.jpg

j4gTxW8.jpg

PydZlXt.jpg

Hoback Sumo. First Hoback and my first button lock in over 15+ years. Opens fast/smooth... falls shut like a guillotine on bearings... literally. A+ build quality and materials all around. Unusual sheepsfoot/reverse tanto blade shape... and 4-5 different ways to open. Really impressed.

Forgot to share last months acquisitions:

Blackfox Kit:
e0CeOlg.jpg

lVNkb7l.jpg

fPAJruv.jpg

Another 5th pocket knife, this one is the shortest yet, and is razor sharp out of the box. For $22, well worth it.

Giant Mouse Biblio:
elnnJwt.jpg

8tEUciW.jpg

Love this knife, fits the hand great, awesome action (hoping it breaks in alittle more) and is THE sharpest out of the box knife I have purchased to date. If it had a compression lock and slightly easier to access thumb hole, it would replace my PM3 as fav EDC.

Like like a bigger brother to the baby core:
xHrePkq.jpg

And this months:

Protech Malibu:
fleHjoM.jpg

quKXtEO.jpg

Really lives up to the hype. Broke in so fast, this one is going to be carried often. Really hoping Protech does more flippers in different blade shapes.

Protech SBR:
nP6jNkM.jpg

g8Wj0jE.jpg

Really happy to finally get one of these. And of course, now I want the big brother. Another one that I will be EDC'ing a ton.

Back