Everything Lefties thread

I hope more of our left handed brothers and sisters stop in and participate in this thread. We are 10% of the world and probably 20% of the knife community. Not sure of the knife community number but it's probably close

I have found a chisel ground knife to be ground on the right side, what most people would call a RH chisel grind, works better for me ( a lefty ) for edc tasks.
Yea everyone is different and honestly I’ve never used a chisel grind knife much at all. Interesting to see other people’s tastes. I do a lot of skinning type cuts. Skinning and stripping wire at work. The left hand chisel grind seems to be a better fit. Now you have me wanting to actually give it a try with that Benchmade to see for sure

Being a lefty, in a right handed world, I’ve just naturally adapted to things like this, becoming quite ambidextrous, as I’m sure most of you, my fellow lefties, have done as well.

This has been my experience as well. Some things I am naturally right handed at, though, but these things tend to be more full body things like swinging a golf club or baseball bat, using a hockey stick or sword. But I write lefty, use a fork or spoon lefty, use a chef knife lefty, but I have learned to use edc knives right or left. But I've always believed in training both sides, so whatever I can do lefty, I can do righty, though my handwriting will be slower, and not quite as tidy.

Now fixed blades on the other hand.... I hate that they all come standard with a right handed sheath.

I don't get this problem, because I feel the standard vertical carry of a fixed blade is done backwards by most people. Most people with vertical carry of a knife on the hip point the spine forward. To me, it makes more sense the other way because it can be drawn more quickly and efficiently in both forward grip and reverse grip. So the only time I have a problem with right handed sheaths is when the belt attachment feature is integrated and cannot be moved. Not a problem with Spyderco G-clip knives.

Left handed action on right handed folding knives:

Left handed action on a couple more right handed folding knives, and a two handed folding knife:

This has been my experience as well. Some things I am naturally right handed at, though, but these things tend to be more full body things like swinging a golf club or baseball bat, using a hockey stick or sword. But I write lefty, use a fork or spoon lefty, use a chef knife lefty, but I have learned to use edc knives right or left. But I've always believed in training both sides, so whatever I can do lefty, I can do righty, though my handwriting will be slower, and not quite as tidy.

I don't get this problem, because I feel the standard vertical carry of a fixed blade is done backwards by most people. Most people with vertical carry of a knife on the hip point the spine forward. To me, it makes more sense the other way because it can be drawn more quickly and efficiently in both forward grip and reverse grip. So the only time I have a problem with right handed sheaths is when the belt attachment feature is integrated and cannot be moved. Not a problem with Spyderco G-clip knives.

Left handed action on right handed folding knives:

Great share. This is exactly why I started this thread. Sharing options of opening and closing styles. I'll post up some myself when I get home. Just have to figure out how to attach videos

Aha! Thanks. So it's not quite flat like a chisel on the back side? (I can't tell for sure. How do you sharpen (what angle) the "flat" side?")

On mine, the non-beveled side is completely flat or has a slight hollow, and in both cases that side is kept 100% flat to the stone-- and the stone has to be level/true so as not to warp the blade contours . (The bevel is also much wider in most instances.) We like these knives for their strength and durability, but they are not very sensitive for other tasks.

I agree with your earlier post: anything that requires scraping, like skinning or stripping a wire would work better with the LH bevel when you are LH'd. That's the way it works for me, too, and this is why I started screening people. If they bought the wrong knife, it wasn't going to perform for them--even if they didn't realize it at first.

How many of you have been into a lefties store? There's one in Orlando Florida. I bought a pair of scissors there for like $25. Worth the money. Scissors are one of them things that if you didn't know they existed and never used them before it would never matter but once you do its really hard to go back.
I've never been to one, bit I have tried using scissors w/ the LH and it didn't work. Do you just cut with your RH when you don't have the LH scissors?

Nope I cut with my left and get frustrated. I can cut with my right. I'm ambidextrous but I'd rather do what ever I can with my left. I even golf, swing a bat, eat and shift my car with my right hand from time to time. Just prefer to do everything left handed

DC1D8904-2F59-40FB-A511-CE6BD08F6AA6.jpeg 870F9E43-27B1-44F8-97AE-FC661A16AC1E.jpeg Dcdavis Dcdavis

Here are 2 shots of one of mine. The blade is a little over 4”. They are probably 50–60 y/o. My teacher gave them to me. (He fought in the battle of the bulge and passed away this year @ 94.)

ETA: I just realized that I was completely WRONG. This knife works for a right handed person and the bevel is on the left. Now you see why I wrote the book? It was confusing to everyone! The flat side faces away when scraping. Sorry.

Last edited:
Aha! Thanks. So it's not quite flat like a chisel on the back side? (I can't tell for sure. How do you sharpen (what angle) the "flat" side?")

On mine, the non-beveled side is completely flat or has a slight hollow, and in both cases that side is kept 100% flat to the stone-- and the stone has to be level/true so as not to warp the blade contours . (The bevel is also much wider in most instances.) We like these knives for their strength and durability, but they are not very sensitive for other tasks.

I agree with your earlier post: anything that requires scraping, like skinning or stripping a wire would work better with the LH bevel when you are LH'd. That's the way it works for me, too, and this is why I started screening people. If they bought the wrong knife, it wasn't going to perform for them--even if they didn't realize it at first.

Yea Benchmade actually calls it “opposing bevels”. I’ve never sharpened it. It’s maybe cut some paper just to mess around and has sit in her truck 99 percent of its life.

Sorry to hear about your teacher as well

Last edited:
View attachment 1209041 View attachment 1209042 Dcdavis Dcdavis

Here are 2 shots of one of mine. The blade is a little over 4”. They are probably 50–60 y/o. My teacher gave them to me. (He fought in the battle of the bulge and passed away this year @ 94.)

ETA: I just realized that I was completely WRONG. This knife works for a right handed person and the bevel is on the left. Now you see why I wrote the book? It was confusing to everyone! The flat side faces away when scraping. Sorry.
No problem at all :D

I'm glad I read through the thread, ya'll had me damn confused on the chisel grind:eek:. I don't own a chisel grind knife so it really doesn't matter to me, but it is still confusing.
Like most everyone else that has posted, I've learned to adapt to a right handed world. Being the only lefty in my immediate family, I was raised to do most things right handed. So, my dominate side is my right. My right eye is dominate so shooting and strength is right handed. Fine motor skills and dexterity are left handed.

Since CRK makes left handed knives, they're my main left handed knife. Most Spyderco's are oriented for either carry. I always carry two knives, a CRK in the left pocket and a right handed in the other. I draw the knife in my right pocket, open it up right handed and then switch hands for use. Most of the time I'll use two hands to close the knife. More habit than anything else.

Three of my dedicated lefty's ;)

p9HSRiT.jpg

Back