Everything simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When one realizes that what one has is all that one needs, contentment follows.

"I do not want what I haven't got." Sinead O'Connor.

Prior to the 20th century, most people did nor brush or take care of their teeth at all. It wasn't uncommon (and was often expected) that your teeth would go bad by around age 30 or so.

Jim

That’s technically not true. While they didn’t really have toothpaste, they did have chewing twigs and other mediums to clean their teeth. Some ancient toothbrushes resemble what we have nowadays. Toothpicks have been around for 5,000 years and quite possibly even longer. It’s just that they didn’t know how to combat the decay as well as we do now living in modernity.

Last edited:
That’s technically not true. While they didn’t really have toothpaste, they did have chewing twigs and other mediums to clean their teeth. Some ancient toothbrushes resemble what we have nowadays. Toothpicks have been around for 5,000 years and quite possibly even longer. It’s just that they didn’t know how to combat the decay as well as we do now living in modernity.

Another myth. Fact is study of skulls of people living in the middle ages and prior show they had really excellent teeth up until death which was quite often not until their 70s. They didn't eat a lot of food or have a lot of drinks with refined artificial sugars and acids. Tooth decay is more common today than it was then.

Simplicity is the key to brilliance.
Keep carry a Sebenza!

Attachments

• 0F5C8D5E-8D5E-40EF-A268-314A9B135F51.jpeg
    0F5C8D5E-8D5E-40EF-A268-314A9B135F51.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 3
For me, the simpler times were when I only had a tiny two-bladed Imperial. The big upgrade came when my grandpa brought home a Victorinox Recruit from Switzerland. I felt like a big fish.

With all these fancy knives I've gotten since then, I've never felt that level of pride again.

I think people who want to go back to simpler times are suffering from a selective memory, or no knowledge of what going back to simple means. Maybe they're just stuck in Nostalgia mode.
Simpler times were not always as simple and easy as you might imagine.

My Aunt was born in premature in march 1922 in a rural area. No hospital or cars were around. It would have been an overnight trip by horse and wagon to a doctor. The incubator was the cook stove, open the oven lid and carefully control the heat. It was a 24/7 watch for my grandmother and the neighbor ladies. All the while the farm had to be worked.

My first car was a 1963 ford galaxy, look under the hood and you see simple. Look in the trunk and you saw a box with points, condensor, rotor, rotor cap, fan belt and duct tape, along with the tools to change it all. It was a common sight to see cars broke down on the side of the road. Back then cars were not nearly as reliable as today.

All the complexity that goes in to wash and wear, permanent press, now that makes life simple.

You want simple times back, make home and family a priority. Turn off the tech and talk to family, play with your kids. Take the time to know your neighbors. Don't keep up with the Jones's. Don't forget the family during football season. Don't buy so many toys that you or your family suffer. ETC.

If you want simple? It starts with you and it starts home, it's really that simple.
Selling all your new knives and going Opinel, Mora, Old Hickory, etc, won't make your life simple.

Facts.

Going back to the old timey days? LOL No thanks. I'll keep my advanced technology, medical and biotechnology, computers, easily available refridgeration, the entirety of human knowledge available to anyone who has a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Oh, and indoor plumbing, tankless water heaters, my tech job, modern performance cars, and going out with friends and being able to Uber home by simply tapping a button to summon a ride. Oh man, how could I forget the best part: food that is more plentiful and easily available than at literally any other time in human history.

If I want to get a hit of nostalgia, I'll put on an old movie, enjoy them for the rose-tinted look at the past they are, and then get back to reality.

Edit: LOL I actually keep going back to add things because we have so many advantages over people even forty years ago, pretty crazy.

Last edited:
L leghog : that is seriously the best post I've ever seen on this forum.
Really? That list was straight up grabbed from one of any number of "How to live a good life" blogs. I've seen it. If the best post you've ever seen on a knife site is a regurgitated fluff piece about living well (according to someone else) that has nothing really to do with knives, then maybe this isn't the forum for you?

Romans actually used urine to clean and whiten their teeth.

What's that about the "good ole days"? LOL

Really? That list was straight up grabbed from one of any number of "How to live a good life" blogs. I've seen it. If the best post you've ever seen on a knife site is a regurgitated fluff piece about living well (according to someone else) that has nothing really to do with knives, then maybe this isn't the forum for you?

Really? To my reading, leghog's post has everything to do with both knives and specifically the OP's question. But if you feel strongly otherwise, this site has a reporting feature so you can report off-topic posts to the mods.

Really? To my reading, leghog's post has everything to do with both knives and specifically the OP's question. But if you feel strongly otherwise, this site has a reporting feature so you can report off-topic posts to the mods.

Well, your reading comprehension has been historically poor, so I am able to reach out the olive branch of understanding how fluff taken from a "Live life!" blog could be somehow construed as deep meaningful advice. An understandable mistake.

Last edited:
Facts.

Going back to the old timey days? LOL No thanks. I'll keep my advanced technology, medical and biotechnology, computers, easily available refridgeration, the entirety of human knowledge available to anyone who has a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Oh, and indoor plumbing, tankless water heaters, my tech job, modern performance cars, and going out with friends and being able to Uber home by simply tapping a button to summon a ride. Oh man, how could I forget the best part: food that is more plentiful and easily available than at literally any other time in human history.

If I want to get a hit of nostalgia, I'll put on an old movie, enjoy them for the rose-tinted look at the past they are, and then get back to reality.

Edit: LOL I actually keep going back to add things because we have so many advantages over people even forty years ago, pretty crazy.

Now that's funny considering this is a forum dedicated to the celebration of a tool that's almost as old as mankind.

How on Earth did those poor trogs survive without $1000 folders and supersteels?
Lol.

Now that's funny considering this is a forum dedicated to the celebration of a tool that's almost as old as mankind.

How on Earth did those poor trogs survive without $1000 folders and supersteels?
Lol.

Absolutely, a tool that's come a long way since we were sharpening rocks on other rocks to cut apart roots we dug out of the ground and chopping raw meat we were about to scorch over a fire, and had barely scraped the dirt off of. You know, kinda how advancement works? :D

Perhaps that's because of just how true it is. Just lie the Scout Oath, Motto, and Law. Just as true and just as applicable today as when they were first penned. Yet man forgot what they are and no longer apply them.

Last edited:
...Going back to the old timey days? LOL No thanks...
Why assume "everything simpler" equates to "going back to the old timey days"?

It's simpler to have indoor plumbing than an outhouse and an outdoor pump. It's simpler to have wireless devices than hard wired devises. It's simpler to have computers than relying solely on libraries, and even at the library it's simpler to maintain an use and electronic catalog than a card catalog. It's simpler to have an electric or gas stove and oven than to cook in a fireplace. It's simpler to own and rely on an automobile than horses. And on and on and on. Why assume "everything simpler" equates to "going back to the old timey days"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back