Everything simpler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why assume everything simpler equates to "going back to the old timey days"?

For many people (certainly plenty of folks in this very thread), that's exactly what it seems to mean. That, and getting away from modern technology, conveniences, and amenities back to "the land". It's just a fantasy that people flirt with, as far as I'm concerned.

Again I think many are mistaking "easier" for simpler ...

yes we have computers ... cell phones ... indoor plumping ... uber ... credit cards ... computer boards on cars ... etc ...

what makes any of that simpler? ... EASIER ... yes in some cases or views but most definately NOT simplier ...

how many people had their identities stolen when we used cash and checks? ... and did no online shopping ... or put personal information all over the internet? ...

how many times have people paid $1000.00 plus including labor for a simple $10.00 part that on a 1980 vehicle cost $25.00 and you could do the work yourself? ...

how much does it cost when your water heater blows? ... how much time expense and simple is it to clean it up when your sewer backs up? ...

why is carrying water or cooking on a wood stove (which I often still do) ever hurt anyone? ...

and knives ... made of flint or lower alloy steels etc ... did people back then not have sharp enough tools to cut with? ... They killed meat they butchered meat ... they killed each other ... and they could all sharpen their knives ... arrows ...tools ... etc ... better and faster then most today ...

yes medicine has helped alot of things ... and then again caused alot of harm in cases ... and mother nature evolves to keep it in check with worse things coming along as people figure one out ... and spend all these billions of dollars so many can't afford it ...

at least in "simpler" times the Dr saw and treated people reguardess of insurance or money and they worked it out ...

so although many things mentioned in this thread may very well make life "easier" in some peoples eyes ... that doesn't always equate to simpler ...

and the biggest thing I find that complicates most is this sense of instant gratification these days ... that easier is always better ...

the phrase work smarter not harder is great to a point ... until the smart shuts down businesses for days when computers go down or power goes out the world stops ... or you have road rage and stress from driving 10 miles in 90 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic ...

in simpler times life just went on and you made do ... but it was simpler ... not always EASIER but definately simplier ...

and in thise times people didn't seem to think it was all that hard because they were used to it ... now days the biggest % of kids have to be made to step outside of the A/C in the summer and an XBOX controller taken away so they move at all ...

so before you stomp on what some see as simpler ... think about the cost of easier ... and the difference ...

Last edited:
For many people (certainly plenty of folks in this very thread), that's exactly what it seems to mean. That, and getting away from modern technology, conveniences, and amenities back to "the land". It's just a fantasy that people flirt with, as far as I'm concerned.

I live a very simple life.

That doesn't mean I ride a horse to town or use an outhouse.
It's not one extreme or the other.

I prefer enjoying nature, and don't need alot to be happy, much less survive.

I've lived in LA, SanDiego, Tampa, St.Petersburg, and other large cities.
I've also lived in etremely rural areas and I do now.
Guess which is more stressful?

Actually, not really. Many of those are the exact opposite of what works for a lot of people.

Really? Below are the opposites. Which of them "works" for a lot of people?

1. Get too little sleep.
2. Over commit yourself.
3. Be incontent and be envious.
4. Live beyond your means.
5. Eat poorly.
6. Never spend time alone. Be uncomfortable with yourself and uncomfortable spending time with yourself.
7. The best gifts require storage and maintenance, take up space and add to clutter.
8. Fill your life and space with clutter and hoard.
9. Spend more time purchasing things than experiencing and seeing things.
10. A library card is practically useless. Its cost is beyond its usefulness.
11. Get as large and varied a wardrobe as possible.
12. Spend, spend, spend, excepting for generosity.
13. Lie and be mean.
14. Most can't choose to be happy, so be unhappy.

Tonight I'll be eating Venison, cleaned with a Condor Kephart, taken with a shotgun I've had since 1982.
Veggies from the farm down the road, prepped courtesy of Old Hickory, on a 100year old butcher's block.
Tomorrow night will be catfish from the river that runs behind my house.

I used to spend more time driving and grocery shopping for a week than I do now canning veggies for the year.

I wouldn't trade this for anything.

qDeQEtd.jpg

Really? Below are the opposites. Which of them "works" for a lot of people?

1. Get too little sleep.
2. Over commit yourself.
3. Be incontent and be envious.
4. Live beyond your means.
5. Eat poorly.
6. Never spend time alone. Be uncomfortable with yourself and uncomfortable spending time with yourself.
7. The best gifts require storage and maintenance, take up space and add to clutter.
8. Fill your life and space with clutter and hoard.
9. Spend more time purchasing things than experiencing and seeing things.
10. A library card is practically useless. Its cost is beyond its usefulness.
11. Get as large and varied a wardrobe as possible.
12. Spend, spend, spend, excepting for generosity.
13. Lie and be mean.
14. Most can't choose to be happy, so be unhappy.

Cute, but incorrect. Let's go through that list in a more realistic fashion, shall we? :)

1. Get at least seven hours of sleep nightly. Go to bed and wake up at the same time. Guard that diligently. What? Many people get less sleep and it's normal. I myself get sixish usually, and have for years. Golly gee, guess this "Live life" blogger that you copied knows more than me. Huh. I don't wake up at the same time on the weekends, and odd, it's fine.

2. Learn to say no. Don't over commit. Squeeze less out of your day, not more. Well, unless you want to accomplish more in life, then definitely do the most with your time.

3. Be content with what you have. Guard against envy. Gotta say, I'm glad that all of the people in history who wanted more, to do more, to accomplish more, etc. didn't listen to this advice. Can you imagine the innovation we would be without today? As for envy, I find that when you apply yourself and go out and get what it is you want, you have less time to be envious of others.

4. Live well within your means. Save and invest, but certainly do not tolerate unnecessary debt, and most debt is absolutely unnecessary. Get rid of all credit cards. Doing these will remove a HUGE amount of stress for many people. "Get rid of all credit cards and most debt" Sounds like someone who has never had to buy a home or a car (things needing a credit check), or have investment properties would say.

5. Eat well. Eat simply. Nice and vague. Love it.

6. Spend time alone and recharge. If you aren't comfortable spending time alone with yourself, learn to get comfortable with yourself. OR, just maybe, get off the couch, and go meet some new people? Not everyone likes spending time alone, and guess what? That's fine, regardless of what this list guy you copied says.

7. The best gifts can't be set down and don't need to be stored. Let those who give you gifts know that. Movie tickets, spotify/pandora subscription, restaurant gift cards, donations in your honor to favorite charities, etc. I have one kid who gives me meats - bison, kangaroo, alligator, rabbit, etc. Another donates to the local animal shelter in my name. Sure, some part of this is true. However, it's not a factual "ONLY this is true." I have received many fine gifts from friends and family, things I cherish and own today. Guess I should sell them all and get some gift-cards and donate to an animal shelter instead, amirite? :)

8. Less is more. If you truly must collect or if the hunt turns you on, hunt and collect things that are small, require little cash, and only a modicum of storage. I now collect small copper coins for that very reason. I could equally see myself as a post card collector. I love the passive-aggressive "People who like to collect things shouldn't do that. They should get rid of all their stuff, unless it's something that I personally approve of, like coins." veiled inference.

9. Spend more time experiencing and seeing than purchasing. One of my goals is to visit every state park in Virginia over the next two years. If I get it done in two years, great. If it takes longer, great. Or, and this is a maybe, grow yourself to the point where you command the income to do both? But then, I suppose that goes against being "content", and that's a no-no, right? LOL

10. A library card is the most powerful tool you can own. And it costs nothing. Or, you can just get a Kindle and download the countless free books online. But hey, the local library is cool too.

11. Simplify your wardrobe. What does this even mean? What's wrong with having clothes? See what I mean about how dumb this list is?

12. Be thrifty but be generous. "Don't spend money on things you like (because things are bad, because you can't possibly enjoy nice things AND experiences), give away as much as you can."

13. Be honest but be kind. Sometimes, being direct is the best kindness that people who need it can hope for.

14. Happiness for most is a choice. Make the choice. "Make the choice, unless of course, your happiness is something that goes against this list from Tumblr."

LOL Good times, good times.

Last edited:

I have lived in multiple big cities (ironically, some of the same ones you mention). Other than traffic, the benefits to living close to options in, well everything, far outweighed any stresses. And when I needed to destress, I spend a weekend in the woods, and on Sunday night, I'd come home to my nice bed and climate controlled home. It's great.

I have lived in multiple big cities (ironically, some of the same ones you mention). Other than traffic, the benefits to living close to options in, well everything, far outweighed any stresses. And when I needed to destress, I spend a weekend in the woods, and on Sunday night, I'd come home to my nice bed and climate controlled home. It's great.

Tonight I'll be eating Venison, cleaned with a Condor Kephart, taken with a shotgun I've had since 1982.
Veggies from the farm down the road, prepped courtesy of Old Hickory, on a 100year old butcher's block.
Tomorrow night will be catfish from the river that runs behind my house.

I used to spend more time driving and grocery shopping for a week than I do now canning veggies for the year.

I wouldn't trade this for anything.

qDeQEtd.jpg
More power to you, and I'm glad you enjoy those things.

Again I think many are mistaking "easier" for simpler ...

yes we have computers ... cell phones ... indoor plumping ... uber ... credit cards ... computer boards on cars ... etc ...

what makes any of that simpler? ... EASIER ... yes in some cases or views but most definately NOT simplier ...

how many people had their identities stolen when we used cash and checks? ... and did no online shopping ... or put personal information all over the internet? ...

how many times have people paid $1000.00 plus including labor for a simple $10.00 part that on a 1980 vehicle cost $25.00 and you could do the work yourself? ...

how much does it cost when your water heater blows? ... how much time expense and simple is it to clean it up when your sewer backs up? ...

why is carrying water or cooking on a wood stove (which I often still do) ever hurt anyone? ...

and knives ... made of flint or lower alloy steels etc ... did people back then not have sharp enough tools to cut with? ... They killed meat they butchered meat ... they killed each other ... and they could all sharpen their knives ... arrows ...tools ... etc ... better and faster then most today ...

yes medicine has helped alot of things ... and then again caused alot of harm in cases ... and mother nature evolves to keep it in check with worse things coming along as people figure one out ... and spend all these billions of dollars so many can't afford it ...

at least in "simpler" times the Dr saw and treated people reguardess of insurance or money and they worked it out ...

so although many things mentioned in this thread may very well make life "easier" in some peoples eyes ... that doesn't always equate to simpler ...

and the biggest thing I find that complicates most is this sense of instant gratification these days ... that easier is always better ...

the phrase work smarter not harder is great to a point ... until the smart shuts down businesses for days when computers go down or power goes out the world stops ... or you have road rage and stress from driving 10 miles in 90 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic ...

in simpler times life just went on and you made do ... but it was simpler ... not always EASIER but definately simplier ...

and in thise times people didn't seem to think it was all that hard because they were used to it ... now days the biggest % of kids have to be made to step outside of the A/C in the summer and an XBOX controller taken away so they move at all ...

so before you stomp on what some see as simpler ... think about the cost of easier ... and the difference ...

There are definitely some truths here in what you say, me personally, I mark 'em up to "that's the cost of progress". Also, a lot of what you mention has a lot to with personal choices people make.

There are definitely some truths here in what you say, me personally, I mark 'em up to "that's the cost of progress". Also, a lot of what you mention has a lot to with personal choices people make.

I agree ... simple means something different to everyone ... alot of things in this thread are somewhat dependant on age and the area and life you grew up in ... your occupation etc ...

And that is a fair point there is give and take to most everything ...

there are alot of things that are just more hectic now then 30 ... 40 ... 50 years ago ... but there are people that seem to love that hectic pace ...

I'm just not one of them ... and the rural area I live in is still far less hectic than most but it's a huge change from even just 15 or 20 years ago ...

Escapism isn't a fad of the new millennium.

People wanted to escape the stifling culture and live free in the 1850s.

They just couldn't complain about it online. The only outlet in those dark days? A letter to the editor.

I agree ... simple means something different to everyone ... alot of things in this thread are somewhat dependant on age and the area and life you grew up in ... your occupation etc ...

And that is a fair point there is give and take to most everything ...

there are alot of things that are just more hectic now then 30 ... 40 ... 50 years ago ... but there are people that seem to love that hectic pace ...

I'm just not one of them ... and the rural area I live in is still far less hectic than most but it's a huge change from even just 15 or 20 years ago ...

That's true. I just generally get a kick out of how these sorts of threads tend to go (because this is absolutely not the first one of these we've had). I always see it as rather like quitting some group on Facebook where people are like "Whelp, I'm totally leaving!" And the rest of us are all "Well...I mean, ok. This isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure." For folks who truly want to go somewhere out in the sticks and live a small simple life, there are countless Small Town, USAs out there who'd love your influx of money into their little tiny community, so why not pack up, sell all your knives* and all your stuff, and then just...go? The fact of the matter is that living a small, quiet life isn't intrinsically any better than living a fast paced life of hectic noise and bustle and coming home to a house full of things that it brings you enjoyment to have. That's why I made the comments I did. There's always this little "Well, things would be better..." Except, not really.

The fact is, getting out into the woods for a weekend, a week, hell even a couple weeks is fun. Living in a rural area when you are accustomed to a certain level and quality of life simply wouldn't be fun at all for many folks.

*Which are apparently clutter and just getting in the way of living a "simple" life

Escapism isn't a fad of the new millennium.

People wanted to escape the stifling culture and live free in the 1850s.

They just couldn't complain about it online. The only outlet in those dark days? A letter to the editor.
And further back still, the Ancient Greek philosophers acknowledged the common human trait of wanting to simplify. And not even a letter to the editor! Nope, you had to write it, distribute it and hope that posterity would see it... ;)

Older generations tend to feel like they're being left behind or being made obsolete with nowhere else to go. So, they yearn for the "simpler" times. This has always been true, but not so much as in the last few generations since technology has been moving so fast, that change is far outpacing our aging and we are facing the prospect of living longer lives in a world that we (seemingly suddenly) don't recognize anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back