Fallkniven A1 Pro or Bark River Bravo 1.5? 2018

Fallkniven A1 Pro or Bark River Bravo 1.5

• Bravo 1.5

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • A1 Pro

Votes: 43 68.3%

• Total voters
In the description of the pro models it says they have a lifetime warranty.

They now also sell a much cheaper version of the pro models called “pro 10”. It is the same knife and sheath, but comes without the fancy box and sharpening stone, and only a 10 year warranty instead of lifetime.

A1 all the way. Brkt is super shady. You don't know if you are getting what you paid for and you don't know if they will stand behind their product.

Y Yves Rouban if you do go with the A1 pro make sure to put it through its paces right away (batoning). Some of them had handles that loosened up under hard use.

And give the edge a quick touch up/stropping.

The internet if full of people saying Fallknivens chip. They may....slightly....fresh out of the box. After a quick touch up, they don't.

Doesnt Buck have a lifetime warranty? And I think theirs is like crafstman, it doesnt matter what happened you could get your A1 and a replacement Buck.

I don’t generally post alternatives not asked for, but I can’t recommend Mora knives enough from a price to quality standpoint and would recommend you at least take a look.

As an avid camper/cottager that spends a ton of time in the woods and has many fixed blade knives (ESEE, Buck, Landi, Grohmann, Camilus, etc.), I still reach for a Mora more often than the others. I own 8 Mora’s costing between $10-40USD each and they are all fantastic for the $$$. The carbon and stainless steels are both well done and easy to sharpen.

Food for thought. :)

In any case, I would go Fallkniven over Bark River if I had to pick based on the OP.:thumbsup:

I don’t generally post alternatives not asked for, but I can’t recommend Mora knives enough from a price to quality standpoint and would recommend you at least take a look.

As an avid camper/cottager that spends a ton of time in the woods and has many fixed blade knives (ESEE, Buck, Landi, Grohmann, Camilus, etc.), I still reach for a Mora more often than the others. I own 8 Mora’s costing between $10-40USD each and they are all fantastic for the $$$. The carbon and stainless steels are both well done and easy to sharpen.

Food for thought. :)

In any case, I would go Fallkniven over Bark River if I had to pick based on the OP.:thumbsup:

What mora would you recommend that is comparable in size to an A1?

The A1 Pro is .276" thick. It is not even practical to use being that thick. Out of the two I would take the Bravo 1.5 hands down.
Personally I would probably go for the TRC M-1 in Vanadis 4 Extra, but I have a 4V/Vanadis 4 Extra obsession.

The A1 Pro is .276" thick. It is not even practical to use being that thick.

You’d be surprised! There are lots of video reviews of the knife doing lots of practical work. The huge A1Pro review thread on Bladeforums has a great deal of examples.

Another vote for the A 1 Pro.

BRKT puts out a nice product but they have done some flaky stuff in the past. Not sure I would trust them. Just like Survive! knives. I want too but just can't right now.

The A1 Pro is .276" thick. It is not even practical to use being that thick. Out of the two I would take the Bravo 1.5 hands down.
Personally I would probably go for the TRC M-1 in Vanadis 4 Extra, but I have a 4V/Vanadis 4 Extra obsession.

What Mora would you compare to the std A1 or even close?

You’d be surprised! There are lots of video reviews of the knife doing lots of practical work. The huge A1Pro review thread on Bladeforums has a great deal of examples.
I have used enough knives to know that 0.276" is not the most pragmatic solution for the things I want to do. I am sure it can do lots of practical things.

Last edited:
What Mora would you compare to the std A1 or even close?
For blade thickness IF over 1/4” is an actual requirement for anyone? You know as well as I do that the answer is none.

I have batonned with an ESEE 6 ($100 and 0.20” IIRC) for ages and that knife will likely last multiple lifetimes under very hard use. If it breaks in 20 years, free replacement/repair under warranty. Anyone actually needing 0.27” blade thickness should just drop the $400 for the Fallkniven, I guess. :rolleyes:

Hell, even my Medford Praetorian is only 0.19”. :)

I think the std A1 is .22 inch? Not sure. I agree that .27 is not necessary but a .11" blade has nothing in common with a .19 inch blade either. A heavier blade has more uses. I like moras and I am always near one. But a larger heavier blade has much more versatility

Bow at the price of the A1 pro you have many other options as well. Some custom. Also, any reason why the A1 pro instead of the A1 which is half the price?
Fallkniven Pro Series are COS laminate Colbolt steel, blades are consistently thicker for greater torsional rigidity and the tapered tang is wider and thicker and the crossguard is stainless steel and the convex edge has been refined and improved.

Fallkniven Pro Series are COS laminate Colbolt steel, blades are consistently thicker for greater torsional rigidity and the tapered tang is wider and thicker and the crossguard is stainless steel and the convex edge has been refined and improved.

Well as long as you feel all that is worth the extra I say go for it. They make great knives

I have 1 Bark River knife (bushcrafter) and 1 Fällkniven knife (I think the Idun). I hardly use either of them because they are both strongly convexed. I do intend to change that though, now that I have a strop.

I will say this: both knives are quite expensive, but have the fit and finish to match. Fällkniven knives are of good quality and have a good reputation. However, I still think they are too expensive considering the materials used (mine was in VG10). I'm happy they now also offer knives in CoS laminated steel. Bark River knives are often beautiful to look at, with a great selection of handle materials. Their sheaths are also quite good.

However, Bark River's reputation is a bit controversial. Some people swear by their knives, but there was also an incident in 2017 where someone found out their 3V labeled knife wasn't actually 3V but in fact quite rust prone. My take away from that thread is that it was likely a mixup between steels (Bark River also makes a lot of knives in A2). However, while the seller went above and beyond to remedy the situation, Bark River communicated poorly and was silent on the matter.

I, myself, am not quite sure what to take away from this matter. The good people on this forum have a great bullshit detector and won't take kindly to any shenenigans, but sometimes people can be quite harsh. I found myself looking at the Bark River Kephart lately. While I have no complaints about the company myself, the whole situation does give me pause.

I, myself, am not quite sure what to take away from this matter. The good people on this forum have a great bullshit detector and won't take kindly to any shenenigans, but sometimes people can be quite harsh. I found myself looking at the Bark River Kephart lately. While I have no complaints about the company myself, the whole situation does give me pause.
If you really want an eye opener, dig up the old threads and search else where on the web for info on the person behind the company.

Saying that he is a 'bit controversial'(yes, I know you said the company), is like saying Pol Pot was a people person.

I personally wont buy blades from BRK. The reputation of the person behind the company, the shady affair of the mix and match steels, many BRK just being pale imitations of other knives (in the best Blackjack tradition), blurry grind lines etc etc keeps me from doing so.

Should of sent the Buck back for repair and or replacement. Could of had 2 knives.:)

And give the edge a quick touch up/stropping.

The internet if full of people saying Fallknivens chip. They may....slightly....fresh out of the box. After a quick touch up, they don't.
I can attest to this. My [regular] A1 got a tiny chip when I first put it to work. Sharpened it out and it has been fine ever since. Great knife, surpringly good for finer work.

Back