Farm Life

David do ya own a buck cpm154 version buck? wonder how it would do on those cornish.

I believe you had a sort of list of how many cornish each steel ya used did before dull or rolled etc. I seem to remember 420hc, maybe s30v, the s90v ole blue, maybe another one...can't remember.....I'll have to go back through the thread to find your posts on it.......

Yes, I have the Bass Pro model with cpm154 in the coated blade. I also have the Cabela's model 110 with s30v and the coated blade. These knives are over the top. I like them a lot. I don't recall how many pages back but they are in the data. As well as s60v. Also, when I used those
knives 2 years ago I was cutting thru bones with them. Which I don't do any more. Be sure to see if that was noted. I do like the steel you inquired about and carry that 110 a day or 2 each week. Thanks, DM

jb, start at page 6 and go backward for more numbers. On pg. 6 I give the number for s30v. The others can't be far back. DM

so my backyard pineapple inspired by a fella on the general forum with his own hawaii farm life thread much like Davids.......

so some darn critter a possum or racccon got to this pineapple......

20180617_161529.jpg

so had to cut it down and i dislike waste so off the top and planted to grow into a new plant and 2 years later or so ill get another pineapple. its a volume game since the produce so slowly here.....i got a couple dozen plant growing and just keep adding......

20180617_161636_600x1066.jpg 20180617_161910_600x1066.jpg

jb, you can grow pineapple at your house? That is too cool. Two dozen plants... Those should be ready in Sept.. I like the
project. Hope you keep us posted on the progress. I've not grown those and it must take a humid climate. I like your 632. DM

jb, you can grow pineapple at your house? That is too cool. Two dozen plants... Those should be ready in Sept.. I like the
project. Hope you keep us posted on the progress. I've not grown those and it must take a humid climate. I like your 632. DM

yes Sir.

they grow okay here. they dont like the few close to freeze temps we get but they survive. the pineapples fruit wont get very big....i suspect its due to the sandy and acidic soil without much nutrrients.....but im guessing im not sure why they wont get large. they seem to like tropical wet climate which i got most of the year down here. they produce slow. get about one pineapple per plant every two years or so......give or take. its kinda hit and miss....

i tried papaya prior too...did great until white flies found the plants and devastated the fruit and plants. i finally gave up on those. my sister has avacados. they seem to do real well here.

my next add is going to be mangos and see how they do. im a bit far north from where they do best but im gonna try.

my buck 632 works well for my small garden activites. good for more than just hunting and camping tasks. took out a bunch of vines with it today too.

Yep, the acidic sandy soil can be challenging. Instead of a commercial fertilizer I would try a soil builder with nutrients. Such as
if you know a rabbit, goat or chicken producer that would allow you to come shovel their manure. That would have 3-2-.1 which is enough to kick start plants. Just water it in. Was the 632 the one offered at Wally? Keep using it and see when the edge rolls. DM

yes Sir.

they grow okay here. they dont like the few close to freeze temps we get but they survive. the pineapples fruit wont get very big....i suspect its due to the sandy and acidic soil without much nutrrients.....but im guessing im not sure why they wont get large. they seem to like tropical wet climate which i got most of the year down here. they produce slow. get about one pineapple per plant every two years or so......give or take. its kinda hit and miss....

i tried papaya prior too...did great until white flies found the plants and devastated the fruit and plants. i finally gave up on those. my sister has avacados. they seem to do real well here.

my next add is going to be mangos and see how they do. im a bit far north from where they do best but im gonna try.

my buck 632 works well for my small garden activites. good for more than just hunting and camping tasks. took out a bunch of vines with it today too.

We have the darn white fly's out here too. Man those little tiny specks can wipe out a plant overnight...Try liquid Sevin, you just have to apply it after every rain though. Not hazardous to humans or pets...

Use a clean steer manure. Lowes has some that's purdy good, no odd plants growing from it... Fresh chicken is and can be too potent for a lot of plants and veggies...You can use it but mix it in for next years crop and it still might carry a wallop. We'd pin chickens up to clear heavy grass areas, timothy grass and what not. We used pigs to clear heavy brush and wooded areas. Both takes at least a year to be able to plant or they'll just burn up...

I'm looking at one of those 632's for around the house, they look like they'd be purdy handy...

I agree that cow manure might be better. Horse would be okay, as well. Chicken manure is potent stuff and will make your eyes water. Plus, it stinks to high heaven. It is good after a year or more in the soil.

Cow manure is a good soil builder just not a good fertilizer @ 1-.5-.3. With vegetables the chicken manure should go thru composting. On wooded shrubs or trees it's fine. With jb getting a lot of rain this will help to break down the manure quickly. Good
luck and have fun with your 632. DM

Cow manure will be enough for you, it's really good fertilizer...Yes, it will build up the soil also, but doesn't that make it a good fertilizer? It won't burn your plants, they just might grow real fast before producing fruit or whatever. With the rain you get there shouldn't be a problem with rapid growth...

Here's a detailed study on the composition and analysis of many types of manure per ton. From Minnesota Extension (most agriculture universities have done this research.) (Table 1) realize to obtain the % N from this table take N and divide by 2000 %. ex. 21divided by 2000%= 1.05%N. Other factors to consider are time composted, heat, moisture, and the animal, ect.. DM https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/fruit-vegetable/using-manure-and-compost/

Last edited:
y'all are talking way over my farm skills. I have a strict policy of no irrigation on yard plants and grass. if it can't survive on rain alone it dies and its removed.

on crop type plants I try for the same policy but some I'll water a bit to get results.

if I'm gonna start fertilizing and soil balancing I'm gonna need that buck lockback large size sodbuster.......come on buck help us out:)

Ok, jb I'll tone it down and return to performance of Buck knives. Chemistry not being palatable to all. DM
Sir its good info.......im very appreciative.......just didnt want to be the cause of leading everyone too far away from buck use on the farm as you meant your thread to be.

Back