Favorite Cold Steel machete and why?

My regular Kukri is a nice medium chopper. I like the Smatchet (cool factor) best though. It's like a budget Gladius sword. Both of these are solid, and don't flex like regular machetes.

Last edited:
My favorites are Bowie machete and Barong machete. I like the balance and speed of the bowie machete. The barong is a powerful chopper and good for thrusting as well. But a little blade heavy and slow my taste.

Magnum Kukri. Why ?, because it's the only C.S. machete that I have, lol. Actually it worked quite well clearing trail in the winter Boreal forest. I still like and have it....... I got into Condors for a while.

Last edited:
I have the gladius and the tactical katana. They have a lot of cool factor points but I would have liked them made with thicker steel, especially the katana. It's a bit floppy with it's narrow width.
I plan to get one of their kukri's someday, have heard many good things.

"Heavy Machete".
It works quite well for my needs.
I do want to try that two hand Chinese War Sword machete. Who knows? It might break down wood shipping pallets even better than the Heavy does.

Smatchet. Rubberized grip tape on the handle, thinned the edge slightly, and added a Dual-Lock strap fastener to the sheath. It's really a short sword.

Sits by the bed.

18" Latin Machete after I thinned and convexed the edge on my belt grinder .The thing doesn't stick anymore and is a chopping demon.

I just love my old Chinese 18inch bowie, bought 3 at the times and I gifted one. got one NIB still :D I also love the 12 inch Chinese spear points, from the same era of production. They have a nice 3mm stock, they hold a good woodworking edge AND they are virtually indestructible....no effing kidding there!!! splitting a big log, I had one bowie machete ben at 90degree trough a knot! well, I slammed another heavy log on top of it like there was no tomorrow, while to log gave, the machete just took back it true shape! That 13$ machete made me regret my 140$ trailmaster at the time HAHA

My regular Kukri is a nice medium chopper. I like the Smatchet (cool factor) best though. It's like a budget Gladius sword. Both of these are solid, and don't flex like regular machetes.

An online vender made me an offer that I could not refuse. I am the proud owner of a Bowie machete, and a Royal Kukri. Both will stay indoors, stored in strategic locations. Both came pretty sharp. The Royal Kukri blade shape is very unique. It is pretty stabby, and curves forward much more than the regular kukri. I really like them! Unbelievable prices for what you get.:D

Just got done bucking tree branches with a Barong machete. It was a joy to use, and would just "snick" through branches an inch thick. Great handle retention and geometry.

Love the bowie machete, its like a sword/machete hybrid. Its my only one but it rocks, I used the crap out of mine today.
ATUTblC.jpg
[/IMG]
KWdMsvW.jpg
[/IMG]

Love the bowie machete, its like a sword/machete hybrid. Its my only one but it rocks, I used the crap out of mine today.
ATUTblC.jpg
[/IMG]
KWdMsvW.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah,but that looks like the now discontinued 18"-er. I love my 12" but would sure like to see CS get off the dime and bring back the 18" Seems like I see requests to bring it back every time I'm online. shrug

Yeah,but that looks like the now discontinued 18"-er. I love my 12" but would sure like to see CS get off the dime and bring back the 18" Seems like I see requests to bring it back every time I'm online. shrug

If I would have known that I would have bought 3!

24in Latin has been good to me. Great for pruning, vines, and cleaning limbs off downed trees around the house. Easy to sharpen with a file too.

Kukri Magnum. Best design so far.

for weeding scrub: probably a long sweeping style but it seems dangerous compared to just like, goats eating it

Worst: gladius tip rolls too easily.

Panga Machete - so far I've only used it to edge the ice plant in front of my house. The green parts don't splatter as much as when using a weed whacker, and the thick tip makes short work of the brown, viney stalks.
Of course, this low level chopping and my lack of technique means that the blade hits the dirt far more often than I would like, but a quick pass with a file, or a pass on a coarse Carborundum stone and the edge is back in service.

Received two 12 in. Bowie Machetes. One came with the CS sticker on the blade, the swedge coated black, a soft rubberlike grip and a sheath where the tip is reinforced with two plastic parts (one on each side). The other one came with a stamped CS logo, the swedge is uncoated, the grind is off...almost looks like a chiselgrind, the grip is harder and more plasticlike and most important the sheath looks more high-grade because the plastic reinforcement covers the whole tip of the sheath and ist much sturdier than on the other sheath..... and the plastic shows the Cold Steel logo which the other sheath doesn't. I didn't know they changed the sheaths......

Last edited:
Back