Favorite folding knife and or fixed blade knife?

My favorites are whatever I'm carrying at the moment. Right now it's a damascus Dawson Mercury and SOG Paratool.

i6K8FCt.jpg

Zieg

IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG Ok, this may be a moot point, I have a few favorite fixed blades and folders, but do you carry them together or is there a favorite combo that goes together? That are a great team together. Just a thought. My favorite combo, for pocket carry is my Alox Swiss Army knife and one of several small fixed blades like a Childress or Avila. See, still cannot get away from my favorites changing every other day or so.

Last edited:
IMG_3612.jpg

Benchmade Griptilian custom S30V with G-10 handles and Benchmade Bugout. My duty EDC and off-duty EDC respectively :)

Favorite folder? That's easy. Kershaw Shallot Composite ZDP-189. Wish I still had my first-generation SOG Tomcat, tho.

Fixed blade is tougher. Absolute favorite is probably my Peter Bauchop sterile Witch, blued D2, before the switch to Kalgard coating. Then a custom 8" Deleon bowie, ATS-34 and black Micarta, great all-around user. Then the SOG S-1. A little heavy, but very solid, another good using knife. And a very good looking one, as well!

Spyderco Manix 2 and Becker BK16. Runners up would be an Ontario RAT 1 and an Esee Izula. Not sure if a multi tool counts, but I love my Leatherman Skeletool CX. It gets more carry than anything else.

Spyderco Manix 2 and Becker BK16. Runners up would be an Ontario RAT 1 and an Esee Izula. Not sure if a multi tool counts, but I love my Leatherman Skeletool CX. It gets more carry than anything else.
I was close to doing the Manix 2 And Becker BK16, but I chose the RAT 7 instead of the BK16!

Post your favorite knives!
Spyderco Manix 2 and Ontario RAT 7 for me.
Why? That would make for a more interesting post.

For me, my favourite folder would be my Spyderco Native 5, which just arrived a few weeks ago. It is a superb size for my hand, it just melts into it. The blade is S35VN, which will take a steeper angle than most of my other knives. The SharpMaker only has 2 angles, 30 degrees and 40 degrees. S35VN is supposed to be able to take 30 degrees, and the factory edge appeared to be at 30 degrees. It became ridiculously sharp very quickly. The only drawback is the FRN handle, which I find a little slick for my taste.

As far as fixed blades go, thats a little tougher. I really like my Izula II, but the handles make it too thick for neck carry, which I really like. I just got the Izula, but haven't had any experience with it yet. The Becker Necker is a little too thick in the blade for my liking. So I'm probably going with my Camillus Arclite, which slices beautifully, thanks to a chisel grind, works beautifully as a camp knife, including slicing tomatoes because of the combo edge, and has a pretty cool cord wrap. So thats me!

Why? That would make for a more interesting post.

For me, my favourite folder would be my Spyderco Native 5, which just arrived a few weeks ago. It is a superb size for my hand, it just melts into it. The blade is S35VN, which will take a steeper angle than most of my other knives. The SharpMaker only has 2 angles, 30 degrees and 40 degrees. S35VN is supposed to be able to take 30 degrees, and the factory edge appeared to be at 30 degrees. It became ridiculously sharp very quickly. The only drawback is the FRN handle, which I find a little slick for my taste.

As far as fixed blades go, thats a little tougher. I really like my Izula II, but the handles make it too thick for neck carry, which I really like. I just got the Izula, but haven't had any experience with it yet. The Becker Necker is a little too thick in the blade for my liking. So I'm probably going with my Camillus Arclite, which slices beautifully, thanks to a chisel grind, works beautifully as a camp knife, including slicing tomatoes because of the combo edge, and has a pretty cool cord wrap. So thats me!
The Manix 2 has great ergonomics, and I really like the CBBL, it is very fun to open and close. It also has a good steel, and the knife is just very quality feeling and looking.
The RAT 7 is a do everything fixed blade, it can chop, baton, make feather sticks with its great finger choil, and it's also very easy to get razor sharp for other finer tasks. This knife is great for gathering and processing firewood. If you put a lanyard on it, you can just keep chopping, and it bites in extremely deep. The RAT 7 also has a very good price for what you get.

IMG_0089.JPG Carothers light chopper or Robert P Martin CPM 3V slimline machete and Ferrum Forge Fortis folder

Favorites??? won't that upset my other knives??? ... o_O ... well theres ... and then ummmm ... or maybe ... hmmm ...

It would depend on my plans for the day ... but for a modern folder w/pocket clip ... the ones I carry and use most are my ZT 566 and my ZT 0909 ...

for a fixed blade again varies for use on what Im doing that day but ... for a small EDC type fixed blade ... the Bradford Guardian 3 ... moving to belt knives ... the Bradford Guardian 4 M390 FFG or my Winkler II Hunting Knife probably get the most use ... especially fall and winter.

Now I carry on my belt a Leatherman Wave or Leather TTi Charge almost everyday day.

And I more days then not carry a slip joint along with whatever else I'm carrying ... that varies from my most carried slip joint a Bull Dog Brand double blade in Stag ... to a Case Mini Trapper in Stag ... to my just purchased (should get it this week) a Northfield #48 Improved Trapper Wharncliffe in 1095 steel.

those are most of the usual carried knives ... but they can change depending on what I'm doing for the day .... to something a bit nicer being a Sebenza or ZT 770 CF ... to a CRK Nyala or LT Wright GNS or Bushcrafter if I'm camping, hiking, hunting, horseback riding , etc ...

guess that's why I'm here (attending my meetings) for our addiction ... hi I'm JJ and I have a problem buying knives ...

Last edited:
Back