Off Topic favorite hunting knife

So this year I used a Buck 112 drop point my daughter got me for my birthday on an elk. Entire elk taken care of and still able to shave hair.83D871FB-96E2-4950-AC34-E30705F6F87D.jpeg

I have really grown fond of this Hess Whitetail, carrying it in Montana this year and Wyoming last year. It’s nostalgic looking and does a great job.

6D64ABEE-8954-4C43-A35B-8CBE3E367D6C.jpegA2B97AE4-2B69-410A-B677-FF9353F0E7D6.jpeg

But the one knife that is always in my pack and gets used on every animal, except my elk this year, is a Victorinox Hunter. I can’t count how many animals of mine or others this thing has been used on. Not sure why I didn’t pull it out for the elk this year. Perhaps I was on a roll and the Buck was doing fine so no need to switch.

17BC7D47-CA2E-4DE5-8118-20851D2FBE9E.jpeg

iPYKF8W.jpg
The Crotts Semi Skinner

BjN2vOt.jpg
WRftbUa.jpg

9tjv4OV.jpg

I have found my old Rat 3 to be about perfect for breaking down small deer. Thinking about adding and Izula.

I started out with a Mora Companion in stainless (waste of time, I learned that a Scandi grind is best left to bushcraft), then I used an EKA Swingblade after all the positive recommendations I received. The Swingblade is a good knife, but I got tired of the blood collecting in the liners and scales, so swapped that for a SOG SEAL Pup.
I had a sit down and thought about what it was I wanted from a hunting knife, after using the Mora and EKA.
I wanted;
5" blade
Pointy tip and decent belly
Stainless steel
Hard synthetic handle
Kydex or synthetic sheath

The SOG SEAL Pup looked like it would fit the bill, so the order was placed.
The serrations have proven they have a place, I use the serrated portion to cut through the ribcage during the gralloch/gutting process.
Holds a decent edge and just needs a quick strop after a deer.
Very pleased with its performance on the smaller UK deer like Roe and Muntjac.

For the last 35 years I’ve used a Buck 110 for my hunting knife out in the field for deer and all kinds of critters. It does all I need it to do and never under knifed.

Now when I get the game back home for processing I use some larger knives to break them down and cut, debone and slice.

Schrade Sharp Finger I've been using since 1985.
I've had one since about 1987, but never used it for hunting. Took a lot of work to get a decent edge on it. Today's Sharpfingers are probably not a very good value; they're not really Schrades any more.

Scandi grind works for cutting through hide? I suppose since the stock is so thin.
Hide is no problem with the scandi grind, because the hide just peels apart once cut. It's not like cutting a piece of cheese or apple, where a thick spine gets in the way.

The main thing is to be careful with the pointy tip, lest you puncture the intestine or bladder and make a stinky mess. (animal urine smell is REALLY hard to get off one's fingers...) I take a generouse pinch of the hide and make the initial cut when it's pulled away from the guts. I show how I do that on squirrels in this video. In that video, I use a plain-edged steak knife, but it would work the same with a Mora Companion.

I don't eat squirrels much any more. They're too much work for the amount of meat. The skin is on TIGHT! Only the backstraps and hind legs are worth the effort. Nowadays, I leave them for the coyotes at the base of one tree after I shoot them; they come and check there every night!

Back