Off Topic favorite hunting knife

Hide is no problem with the scandi grind, because the hide just peels apart once cut. It's not like cutting a piece of cheese or apple, where a thick spine gets in the way.
Interesting. My brother in law is moving closer to me, about 8hrs away. He and all of my wife’s family are hunters. Maybe he can take me out one day. I would love to learn.

Make sure you take a Hunter Education course. And then get your hunting license.
👍
John 😁
True. I was going to do my hunters safety course awhile back but working as a nurse during covid was busy. Things have settled out now.

Oops, I meant the Buck Vanguard knife
The Buck Vanguard and 113 Ranger are 2 of my favorite fixed blades for deer hunting.
A slippery handle could be a concern, tho it hasn't stopped me from using them.

The little 113 is a very capable knife and easy to keep track of during use.
And the full tang instills alot of confidence.

I have the new Vanguard LE with micarta handle and s35v blade. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
It feels great in your hand and is a good choice for larger game.
😁
Maybe I'll let my buddy borrow my old Vanguard...... Again.😎

I've field dressed many deer between sharpening using Buck's 420hc.
It easily punches above it's weight, especially at its price point.

And of course a 110 is on the belt for back-up.
Thanks.

Anyone have any hands on experience with GEC fixed hunter? There's a retailer that stocks all of them ( sorry, gotta find it on your own) but for $180-210 I'm hesitant

I have a small fixed blade that sits in the drawer, smaller blade maybe the H10, nicely made but I would want a bigger one.

Today's Sharpfingers are probably not a very good value; they're not really Schrades any more.

I wonder? I know they went through a Chinese phase, but the way I understand it, Bear and Son are now building them in the U.S.A.

I have no experience with Bear and Son, but a very long history with the classic Sharpfinger and still own a few.

I may buy one just to see.

I wonder? I know they went through a Chinese phase, but the way I understand it, Bear and Son are now building them in the U.S.A.

I have no experience with Bear and Son, but a very long history with the classic Sharpfinger and still own a few.

I may buy one just to see.
Only the high end Bear & Son knives are made in the US, IIRC. I had a Bear & Son balisong; it was pure junk. Can't recall if it was US-made. Save your money.

The problem with Chinese-made stuff is not that they can't make high quality stuff, it's that as soon as they're not being supervised by a 1st world country, they cheat and substitute something cheaper or cut corners some other way, like heat treatment.

And now, the successor to the 119. I fell deeply in love with this knife. To the poiint that I gave the 119 to a good friend who always admired and commented on it. This little gem is scary sharp too.

I have some pretty nice hunting knives - a couple of Randalls, a Bark River 3V Canadian, BK 62, CPK Kephart and several older classics. But somehow I just can't keep from coming back to Buck.

View attachment 2350854View attachment 2350857

And now, the successor to the 119. I fell deeply in love with this knife. To the poiint that I gave the 119 to a good friend who always admired and commented on it. This little gem is scary sharp too.

I have some pretty nice hunting knives - a couple of Randalls, a Bark River 3V Canadian, BK 62, CPK Kephart and several older classics. But somehow I just can't keep from coming back to Buck.

View attachment 2350854View attachment 2350857
Got to get some micarta Bucks. So good looking

Back