Favorite hunting knife?

My favorite hunting knife is my BlackJack Model 125 Heavy Hunter, it is my go to for big game. For small game I like the bird and trout type knives like my Hess Whitetail. Sometimes I use a pocketknife (a Case trapper or Buck 110 usually) but I hate cleaning them up.

my best knife!! I don't have a photo now, I took the photo of the store

www.knifepark.com/en/home/614-benchmade-bushcrafter-eod-162-1-knife-survival-knives.html
benchmade-bushcrafter-eod-162-1-knife-survival-knives.jpg

This is a small hunter or EDC with a 3" AEB-L blade and 4" elk antler and stacked leather handle that I finished up the other day. Light weight and even small enough to be a pocket carry knife.
IMG_1276.jpg IMG_1275.jpg

If that was a left handed sheath it would be absolutely perfect.

I have several, as I constantly want to try something new. These customs all work very well.

BluntCut's modernized Woodcraft style skinner in CTS-XHP @ 65 HRc
LgKc2gU.jpg

Big Chris Berry makes a terrific knife, this Nessmuk pattern in 3V
rj5hzUz.jpg

GL Drew drop point in ladder damascus
P9wLdJz.jpg

TRIO of really nice ones there. I'd love to try out many of his high hardness steels.
I have several, as I constantly want to try something new. These customs all work very well.

BluntCut's modernized Woodcraft style skinner in CTS-XHP @ 65 HRc
LgKc2gU.jpg

Big Chris Berry makes a terrific knife, this Nessmuk pattern in 3V
rj5hzUz.jpg

GL Drew drop point in ladder damascus
P9wLdJz.jpg

Big, Luong's heat treatment really does work. I've used the BluntCut hard, whacking bone and cutting boards with no thought to the edge. Skinned and cleaned a half dozen deer with it and it's still scary sharp. It may literally be years before it needs sharpening, or even stropping.

These are what I carry hunting moose. Bark River Mountain Man 5" and a Buck 110. I will have a utility knife with a hook blade for the opening cuts as well. I really appreciate the longer blade for moose. For those never having done one, I am up to the hilt removing a back strap.

8GpHYJZ.jpg

I bought an LT Wright frontier valley in a2 on a whim for an additional option this deer season. After using it on its first deer it was on my hip every time I hunted. Just a very handy little knife. I did have to reprofile it though as it came rather thick behind the edge from the factory.

These are what I carry hunting moose. Bark River Mountain Man 5" and a Buck 110. I will have a utility knife with a hook blade for the opening cuts as well. I really appreciate the longer blade for moose. For those never having done one, I am up to the hilt removing a back strap.

8GpHYJZ.jpg
I liked that Barkie so much I got one also. Very nice and thin behind the edge. This will come in VERY handy both in the kitchen and for butchering hogs.

Over the last 50 - 53 years, my favorite hunting/outdoors/camping/hiking, etc. sheath/belt knife has been:

Tied for First Place:
Buck 110
Old Timer 7OT
Old Timer 6OT

Tied for Second Place:
Old Timer "Sharp Finger". I forget the "OT" number ... 152OT? ... I'm not sure.
Mora Number 1 with carbone blade. (I've never had one with a stainless steel/Inox blade.)
Cold Steel Finn Bear

Third Place:
Western L66

Regardless of which of the above I had on my belt, I always had a 4 blade Scout/Camp knife or a two or three layer SAK, and a large 4 to 4.5 inch closed stockman or 4.125 ~ 4.25 inch closed moose in my pocket.
(Usually the stockman.)

The most often taken and used when afield belt/sheath knife was/is the Buck 110 or a 7OT/6OT, since like the 4blade Scout/Camp knife or SAK, and the stockman, they are part of my normal ("normal" for me at any rate) EDC.

Over the last year or so, I have gotten a couple two blade slipjoint folding hunter belt/sheath knives, a Old Timer 25OT, and Marbles MR417. (both are 5.5 inches closed) However, they've only seen EDC carry and usage. I haven't had the opportunity to take them afield yet. I've no doubt whatsoever they are as good for peeling a deer, or any other critter as any of my other belt/sheath knives, or the pocketable folders designed for field dressing and peeling a critter are. (moose, trapper, and stockman.)
While the knife is not necessarily designed for the task, the spear point blade on the Scout/Camp knife and SAK are also quite capable of field dressing and peeling a critter, to include a yummy deer and snapping turtle. :) (a fishing license may be required to harvest a snapping turtle. It was in Missouri, when I lived there, back in 1994-1996.)
(I strongly advise using a 2 foot gaff for hooking snapping turtle on land. Snappers will bite an un-baited gaff hook, as willingly as your _(body part)_.)

Last edited:
Back