Favorite hunting knife?

The one i've got on me when i shoot a deer.Used everything from spyderco's benchmades to a schrade tough chip.(i know shamefull,but its all i had).

The one i've got on me when i shoot a deer.Used everything from spyderco's benchmades to a schrade tough chip.(i know shamefull,but its all i had).

Dave, no shame in developing the skills to use whatever blade comes to hand. Once those skills are secure, then worry about finding the best for you (and never losing or breaking it). I have my favorite brand/pattern but I have field dressed, skinned and butchered game large and small with a trinket knife, broken glass and sharpened chert. In fact, if I may suggest to many of you, there is a folding wallet knife that costs about a buck. Buy one and carry it. Use it to hone skills and as a backup. Just don't forget it at the airport/courthouse.

Codger,

I agree. I carried one of those for several years and used it for everything I could (Until I destroyed it opening a can of soup). It teaches you to be creative sometimes.:)

Clark
BH #244

For my last deer I had my Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner I had gotten and used earlier in the year to great success during archery season in my backpack when I found my deer. The deer however had not yet lost all fight when I walked up on it and I had to quickly use the Benchmade Ritter Griptilian clipped to my pocket to finish it. That's never an easy or clean deed and since I was pretty bloody already I didn't want to dig in my pack for the Dozier and ended up cleaning the whole deer with the Griptilian. It worked great and actually had better traction than most of my fixed blades. I had to completely disassemble it later to clean out all the blood and fat...

Tom Mayo custom from the mid-90s. Hollow grind ATS34.

DSCN0210.JPG

Mayo%2520Sheath.JPG

In fact, if I may suggest to many of you, there is a folding wallet knife that costs about a buck. Buy one and carry it. Use it to hone skills and as a backup. Just don't forget it at the airport/courthouse.
Just sharpen one short and one long edge of a credit or debit or frequent flyer card and you won't have to worry about where you are when you have it.

I'm currently absolutely in love with the Buck 0537RWS open season because of the handle. But my buddy is left handed and hates it.

Just sharpen one short and one long edge of a credit or debit or frequent flyer card and you won't have to worry about where you are when you have it.

Quite true for some circumstances but not very usable in a hunting butchering scenario.

This is my favorite size and style hunting knife, 4 1/2" drop point hunter seems to be about the right size for most field tasks. I also like a quality stainless steel s35vn, cpm 154, this one is AEB-L heat treated with cryo to 62-HRc.

IMG_0299.png

Here’s one that I just worked up for myself in 1/4” 3V steel. It will see some critters and camping this fall.

index.php

index.php

Back