Favorite SAK?

I didn't see a thread like this, so I thought it would be okay to post one. I just got a Victorinox Classic SD from Wal-Mart for 7 dollars. It fits on my keychain and comes in handy every now and then. Thanks to that purchase, I now have SAK fever and want to get a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. I want to get that one because it has flat and phillips head screwdrivers, scissors, and pliers. I would have also liked a wood saw just for the sake of it, but I doubt I would use it enough to justify the extra 12-15 dollars I have to spend to upgrade to the Victorinox Craftsman.

Basically, I'm curious to find out everyone's favorite SAKs and the reasons why. Cheers.

I love my Rogue. It is basically a Classic SD with a bottle opener. It is small enough to carry in the coin pocket on a pair of jeans; handles the majority of knife needs one will have if not roughing it in the outdoors, prepping food, or fighting off an attacker; and is so harmless looking that people don't freak out if they see you using it in public.

I have a monster champion +. It has a little to many functions for me, but I really wanted the saw and the magnifying glass (last ditch fire starter) and the pen comes in really handy too.

If I could do without a few things I like, I would pick up an alox farmer.

I usually have a Wenger SI or a Victorinox cadet 2 on me. I carried a tinker for a few years, but I just like the alox sak's better.

But no matter what I have in the pocket, there is a classic sd on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath to protect the handles from being gouged up by the keys. I use the classic more in the course of a day than any other pocket knife. I never took them real seriouly as they were so small, untill I saw what my better half was doing with hers. I started carrying one as an experiment and using it before I reached for my regular pocket knife. I was amazed that the classic handled 99% of all my cutting chores from opening mail, UPS boxes, tomato plant cotton jute twine, plastic blister packages, stripping wire for an electical repair, breaking down cardboard boxes for trash or recycle, and more.

The classic is an awesome little knife in a very small and economical package. It just may be my favorite sak. I hardly use my Wenger SI or cadet exept for the full size screw driver on repair projects or bottle opener for a cold brew afterward.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Definitely a Farmer - alox SAK with wood saw and keyring.
Thicker blade is great and woodsaw is faster than chopping with small knives(and not as loud)

Too many to list! But here goes in no particular order:

- Recruit: a good basic model that rides well in the pocket
- Yeoman: lots of tools that come in handy for EDC
- SwissChamp: puts the "multi" in multitool!

These are the SAKs I carry with frequency.:D

Red Farmer for me. I've got others, and they all get used, but the Farmer gets carried every day.

Fireman (non-OHO). It's my favorite camping folder. It offers a nice size locking blade with a long saw.

Outrider. Got everything I need. I would say the Farmer, or the OHT, but neither has scissors. Also, unlike some, I like the lock on the Outrider. Better than no lock at all, I say.

I have always loved Sak's, I would like to see one more upgrade, I am hoping one day they will add a ferro rod to one of their knives, wouldn't that be awesome, then you would really be equipped for the wood's.

Swisschamp, the ultimate SAK: anything larger is a novelty. Models with fewer implements are okay if you need less mass, but it always seems to me that compared to the 'champ, they are lesser of the breed.

That said, I have several other Vics in varied sizes and configurations, like them all, wouldn't want to part with any.

I have a reasonable amount of field time from my time in the Army....Swisstool for me. I'm Air Force now, so I'm pretty easy with the Craftsman or the latest equivalent...

I love my Rogue. It is basically a Classic SD with a bottle opener. It is small enough to carry in the coin pocket on a pair of jeans; handles the majority of knife needs one will have if not roughing it in the outdoors, prepping food, or fighting off an attacker; and is so harmless looking that people don't freak out if they see you using it in public.

I carried a rouge for a while and it was, indeed, a great EDC. Unfortunately I lost my keys about 8 months ago. Eventually I replaced the rouge with a mange (I think. same tools but pen instead of toothpick), and I think I like it better. Nice to always have a backup pen.

I'm not sure about the philips vs. flathead though. The flathead on the rouge was much more robust, although it did not offer a fine philips IIRC. Just not sure about that trade-off, sometimes I miss the robust flathead. But I do use the fine philips a lot as well.

I love the Executive. There. I said it. I'm carrying a pansy little Swiss penknife with my wallet every day.

I've had a Pocket Pal for years, and when I was wearing suit pants all the time, it was perfect because it is big enough in blade and handle to do most things, but slim and light to not be a burden to light trousers.

When I joined the Army, I left all of my knives at home, and the first day at AIT, I went to the PX and bought a Tinker because it was the best pocket knife in the store. I still have that knife, and carried it all over the world. I really have a lot of good memories with that one, and still break it out to carry occaisionally. Carried it for a month last year all by itself. I actually like my Executive better -- because it is smaller and has a real nail file and scissors. I like the Executive better than my wife's Classic because it is more robust, and has that real nail file, too. It's the only knife I know that she'll usually have, because it's on her keys. She has a Wenger version of the Pocket Pal as well, Alox, and likes it because it's so skinny, you can't even see it or feel it in your pocket. That one gets carried a lot, but not as reliably as the Classic. My daughter even has a Classic, and prefers it to her lockback.

I bought a little Recruit for my emergency kit, and every time I pick it up I'm tempted to just carry it in my pocket instead of the main pocket knife I'm planning to carry that day. I like how smooth the back is compared to the Tinker, and again, it's a bit more compact than my old Tinker.

So, I haven't had a non-favorite among them, besides Classics. I know, I know, it's "enough" for many, even jackknife carries one, but... I just look at the microscopically skinny little blade and think "it's gonna break!" Other than those, every one I've bought has served me just fine. And the Classics serve the ladies I got them for as they want them to do.

Definitely a Farmer - alox SAK with wood saw and keyring.
Thicker blade is great and woodsaw is faster than chopping with small knives(and not as loud)
Definitly.That' s my favorite too, makes a great outdoor EDC.

Farmer in Alox is good but I'm one of those who doesn't like the keyring aspect.That gets filed off.

Pioneer I prefer as it's a bit slimmer,but ALL Alox models are worth having!

Huntsman or fieldmaster is my top pick. For me it's a great combo of tools while still being easy to carry.

Back