Favorite Victorinox?

Nephron44

Gold Member
What's your favorite Victorinox? Why? Pics are always welcome :)

Mine is the Silver Alox Cadet...perfect size with the right combo of tools to get me through a typical day.

Same here - ALOX Cadet (in several colors) - front and center. It's a permanent part of my OMP (On My Person):

The rest of my EDC - the gun and mags and fixed blade and full size multitool, etc. - come off when I get home. But those 4 items pictured never leave my person.

I've been carrying the Cadet for a long time, and I don't anticipate replacing it with anything else:

Not my picture, but one of my knives. The tinker has gotten the most pocket time, but my Alox electrician is rapidly closing in on the carry time title!

Not my picture, but one of my knives. The tinker has gotten the most pocket time, but my Alox electrician is rapidly closing in on the carry time title!

This one is all I've carried for a couple decades and all I'll ever need.

SAKopen2.jpg

I have the Bantam, Farmer, Tinker, and Classic. Of them all, I am never without my Classic. It's there when I need it, and it's usually enough knife!

K1tETyZ.jpg

South Africa alox pioneer, took some doing to get it (another forum, fellow member from SA's mother was going on a trip to the UK, where it was shipped to another UK member, and forwarded to me!), and boy was it worth it. My favorite color alox, though the black with red shield, and apocalypse green aren't bad :)

The Mechanic (top knife in first photo) followed closely , believe it or not, by The Secretary (silver one in the second photo).

I don't have that many SAKs, maybe ten or so, I should count them some time.

The pliers in the Mechanic are super useful to me. I use them most days at work. The ends of the jaws are very precise and they save my butt on a regular basis. I wish the philips screw driver was on the end rather than pivoting at the center of the knife but that is one reason why I have the second similar size SAK in the photo.

The Secretary is a little slicer almost without peer. It is very thin and when reground to very shallow cutting bevels LOOK OUT ! The small blade is useful for cutting curves say . . . in cardboard and for other delicate work. I use the heck out of mine.

I am looking forward to getting some Alox. None as yet.

I love my SwissChamp. I've had it for years. I carry and use it very frequently, and I'm starting to carry it every day in pictured sheath. I've used every tool on it except for the fish scaler and eyeglass screwdriver. It's an awesome MT! The honing rod the sheath houses is also very useful for touch ups.

2ykf7yu.jpg

Last edited:
My Victorinox classic is my favorite SAK. So small it goes anywhere but on airlines, and even the most bleating sheeple love them. Opens all kinds of packages, UPS boxes, plastic blister packaging, cuts rope/twine/string. So lightweight it fits in a leather pouch sheet on my keyring so I can't leave home without it. Not to mention that I can replace it for ten bucks.
10037376036_c03c1037af_c.jpg

If I had to pick a larger SAK, it would be the tinker. Nothing I don't need and just plain handy for real world everyday use.
16142453809_1d7321f069_c.jpg

My Hoffritz Cutlery Special Edition of the Vic Champion, purchased in the late '70's at a Hoffritz Cutlery in Manhattan.

It's a 91mm, I think it has 7 layers, w/ the Phillips driver instead of a corkscrew. Victorinox replaced it with the SwissChamp in the mid-eighties.

Had to replace the scissors spring once; lost several toothpicks and replaced the tweezers....otherwise it's never failed. No rust, still very good edges.

The saw may be the most impressive blade on the knife. And the grooved tip of the fish scaler is the best thing I've come across for working knots in most rope. The fine screwdriver blade is twisted wickedly but will still work. The awl refuses to get dull. I like the can opener much better than a P-38....and the file works reasonably well on wood.

When I carry it, it's usually in a belt holster, occasionally in-pocket, and it's spent a lot of time in my bags and packs. It's the knife that, over time, has probably been more places with me than any other.

Last edited:
Oh man thats a tough call. I am pretty torn between the one hand Trekker, Farmer, and Tinker.

If I had to pick a favorite I would say the Tinker. I got my first one when I was a child and carried it for many many years before getting interested in other models. The Tinker has a great toolset and size for in the city daily carry.

My favorite is a 1989-vintage Tinker. Nowadays it would be called a small Tinker. It was my first EDC knife and best fits the urban role, although I am considering having it customized. Following close behind would be the Midnight Manager and the Rally.

Anything alox - Pioneer, Farmer and Cadet. Or medium classic red - Tinker etc. I also have a black Champion Plus I have in my desk drawer that I use everyday and love (sentimental value). There are just so many!

My black Executive is my most carried. For me, it's the best small penknife without being "too" small. I also often carry a basic red Spartan. I prefer the corkscrew to the Tinker's Phillips because it holds my eyeglass screwdriver, and I can use the can opener driver for Phillips if need be. I also usually carry a Spirit multi-tool on my belt.

Alox-wise, my favorite is the old Soldier/Pioneer.

Jim

My standard choice around town is the Vic Farmer. That said, the lack of scissors and tweezers/toothpick in the Farmer means that anytime I am traveling or not having access to the rest of my knife stash, I pick the Climber or Explorer. I like corkscrew models for just in case the beer runs out. :D

Back