Favourite double edge razor blade...

I find gilette nacet ,gilette silver blue,personna and super max super stainless way better for my skin type than feather and moat other blades.Actually super max ss is what i like the most and gives me best shaves ever,and have tried over 30 types of blades.Have 5 safety razors,and they all shave differently,I like feather plastic razor,very inexpensive,not agressive at all but gives me excellent shave.Some day im im getting stainless feather razor,its expensive,but i thiink its its worth it.i do not like agressive razors at all,as my skin is somewhat sensitive.If i i nt shave for few days,then parker 99r is amazing.

I have favorites, but I rotate among maybe 10 brands. I don't think I strongly dislike any blade, so far. It is interesting to me how my experience with a blade can be one thing and then another when I use them months or years apart. The razor makes a difference. Also, I get used to a blade when I use it for a while. A blade may feel dull at first, but when I shave with them for a while I don't feel it anymore; but then I use a "sharp" blade and the new blade feels really sharp.

Some "dull" blades can feel really smooth. And there are blades that--to me anyway--feel both really sharp and really smooth.

Some blades are fine when using every day, but not great when shaving several days of stubble.

My favorites right now are Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow, and Feather. Those to me are the best all around, regardless of the razor I'm using, whether shaving every day or shaving 5 days growth, and just as good on the 7th shave as on the first.

Me too. ^ I have been using my Gillett super speed for 10 years and really like it.
I have a plastic tract II in my truck for a quick touch up. But they are only good for about 3-4 shaves. A comfortable double edge is hard to beat. I use Feather blades. DM

Last edited:
King C. Gillette's are impressively sharp. I use a Blackland Blackbird, and find it to work quite well with any blade I've tried. Astra's are very comfy unless pushed to a high BBS level. Voskhod's are really good performers - sharper than the Astra's, but not as "touchy" as the KCG's. I am amazed at the range of angles that work with the Blackbird (mine is an open comb), and it seems to bring the best out of a blade.

Double-edge razor blades are a very individual experience. To use the above post as example, on the shaving forums you will see people who can't shave with Astra without cutting themselves or without irritating their skin, and others who swear by them. And there are many who love Voskhod and that is all they use. I find the Astra blades to be good performers, sharp feeling and easily useful for my 5-7 two-pass shaves a week. Voskhod blades for me don't feel sharp, but they are smooth. The dull feeling is noticeable the first shave after using a sharper feeling blade, but I get used to it.

One of the interesting individual experiences with blades is the influence of the razor. Sometimes just where your head is at makes a difference. Try a blade you don't like after a year, or with a different razor, and perhaps be surprised.

Right now I'm using a brass Karve with 3-inch handle and open comb D-plate. I switch from among many brands in my stash and usually shave with the same blade until I've used up the 5 or 10-blade packet and then pick another. There are differences. Some feel dull but smooth. Some feel sharp but maybe not as smooth. Some feel sharp and smooth. I've found I can shave with all of them, and like I say, you get used to a blade if you use it consistently. There is fun in the variety.

But I do have favorites. Gillette Silver Blue. The 7 O'Clock Yellow and the 7 O'Clock Green. Wilkinson Sword. These feel sharp and smooth to me and have worked well for me in all the razors I've used. I also like the various Derby blades, and I mention this to reinforce the point about individual experience---everyone seems to hate Derbys, but they work for me, and work especially well in the Karve razor I'm using now. Don't go figure, there's no accounting for taste.

Last edited:
:)
I agree about the individual nature of blade/experience. And especially about the razor. I am completely devoted to my Blackbird open comb, and absolutely surprised by that fact. It is the opposite of what I thought I liked, having a lot of blade exposure and gripping the blade a long way from the edge. Yet it absolutely blows away the Timeless .95 OC it replaced on my face.

gillette silver blue is the best for me. I often changed the blades and tried to find some other cool brand, but I didn't find a better one

Gillette Silver Blue are my go to and work well in all of my safety razors. I occasionally use Feather, but only if I have a few days growth.

I must have a poor man's face because Wilkinson Swords and Gilette Platinums gave me the best shave. Feather and Merkurs tore my face up.

I must have a poor man's face because Wilkinson Swords and Gilette Platinums gave me the best shave. Feather and Merkurs tore my face up.

It's a weird thing how some blades work for some people but now others. It took me a long time to find what worked for me. I can't use Merkurs either. I guess it's similar to how some people prefer aggressive razors and others prefer medium or mild.

Yes, Feather blades can have a unrefined edge. When I use one and it gives me nicks, I'll take it and strop it on leather loaded with the green
rouge. Then shave with it. After 20 passes per bevel the edge will give a buttery smooth shave and no nicks. A big difference from a new blade. DM

I'd love to see your technique.

I've been shaving with ice water instead of hot water and have much better results.

The science behind it makes sense: cold water makes blood retreat from the surface so a nick won't bleed as much,. Cold water doesn't soften the whiskers like warm does, so the blade cuts through more cleanly. Finally cold water makes your pores contract and the whiskers stand out more. At least that's what I read and I have had consistently better shaves since switching.

Whoa,--- ^ when I read about you gents shaving with cold water. I thought you had gone off the deep end. So, this morning I tried it and found out you're right. I got a good shave! I just used the water with no lather. I'll keep experimenting with it and see how it goes. DM

I prep with Lectric shave, soak my face in a bowl of ice water, apply a few drops of Shave Secret, repeat a soak in ice water, then apply Cremo shave cream and then shave with a Gillette slim TTO safety razor with a Lord blade. I seldom get nicks and I never get irritation.

Ok, that's a basis. I don't have those products, thus, I'll go at it with the lathers I do have. i.e. Udder Delight, goat milk shaving pucks. DM

Back