Favourite double edge razor blade...

When you think about it, it's not really surprising that different blades perform wildly differently on people. Hair, especially facial is not homogenous, the beard is stronger denser in different parts of the face and individuals vary so much.

Technique and lathering may play a role but certain blades suit certain beards. What has puzzled me is why does it CHANGE from time to time? For around 10 years Feathers were my watchword, nothing else performed as well but then about 2 years ago they started to feel coarse, close shave yes but raw and nick strewn. Have they changed the quality I asked or has age altered my beard? I prefer Astras now, smoother more reliable but not so close, nor do they last long but they're cheap.

Therefore I was very interested in @David Martin and his suggestion for blade stropping. Never occurred to me and I'm still a little uncertain how it's done...do you hold it in the clip and run each side along a strop?? Angle?? I was also very taken by the ice-cold water idea, will be trying that in the morning on a 2 day growth!

I feel I need a new razor too, my various Merkurs have all begun to shed plate after the years and are giving a scratchy performance. One Merkur is silver plated rather than chrome and this is better but despite being Open Comb it's rather mild, won't get close enough. Tried an Edwin Jaegar but far too mild, on the other hand some Mühle I bought is so ferocious it can really skin you! A NOS Gillette would be good but I suppose they cost a mint..?

As for creams/soaps I liked your American Colonel Conk but it's become hugely expensive or impossible to get from the US due to shipping costs, pity it worked really well. TOBS was good but they've messed around with the formulas plus it too is very expensive to get here in Europe after BREXIT. So, Italian creams/soaps such as Proraso and Cella Almond work excellently.

OK that's enough for now! Thanks, Will
I’ve been wet shaving for over 47 years. Noticed as I get older my skin changed, (got tougher). Finding the correct razor/blade is very important until you find one that works the best for you. I’ve had good luck with the Feather razor. I think it’s important to address your skin as much as the razor/blades, your skin also changes with exposure and the seasons. Proper prep, shave creams and aftershaves make a huge difference. Using a pre-shave in in the winter, changing up shave creams and aftershave for the seasons helps me.
Thanks,

Gillette 7 O'clock Green Super Stainless is my go to blade. Unfortunately I haven't bought any in years and they are now harder to find.

Feather on my Edwin Jagger or Merkur 34c. Took a little getting used to, but now no issues at all.

Personna Med Preps work well for me in a wide variety of DE razors. And … USA.
Interesting. Where have you found those, American made? I got some Personna, the only ones I could find. Best I can recall, these particular ones were made in Israel. So just curious where I might find the American ones.

Interesting. Where have you found those, American made? I got some Personna, the only ones I could find. Best I can recall, these particular ones were made in Israel. So just curious where I might find the American ones.
You need the actual "med prep" blade. West Coast Shaving has them, Personna Medical Prep Double Edge Razor Blades, 100-pak.

Astra greens. I have about 500 of them, and they each last me a week. I'm good for blades for a while!

Permasharp blades work so well on my chin and head that I bought them enough for the next 20 years.

You need the actual "med prep" blade. West Coast Shaving has them, Personna Medical Prep Double Edge Razor Blades, 100-pak.
Thanks! I'll look for them.... just as soon as I finish of the 80 or so Wilkinson Sword blades I have left. :D

ETA: Actually, I think I'll look for them immediately. I kinda like to shift back and forth over my favorite blades.

Gillette Silver Blue or Astra green box are my favorites. Plenty sharp and smooth from the first stroke. They work in any of my DE razors.

I really haven't found a bad blade for me but my easiest razor/blade combination is a Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade.

I really haven't found a bad blade for me but my easiest razor/blade combination is a Feather AS-D2 with a Feather blade.
Feather blades...and Kai too...work well in medium aggressive razors, for me. Feathers can be a little harsh, especially on the first shave.

I tend to use high gapped razors that don't really benefit from extra sharpness or extra exposure (in the case of Kai). Wolfman WR1 .94mm SBs, WR2s up to 1.75mm SB, and I especially love my Rocnel Sailors. The Sailors get the bulk of the work.

Nice to see some old skewl DE fans here.

I believe it’s the Personna ”Blue Labs” that are the American made.
Pasteur Pharmacy usually has them, think I paid $15.00 for 100.
They are a good outfit, lots of items good prices , free shipping, no tax (they are in NYC)

Personna seems to have branched out!
Red, made in Germany, "Prep Blue" made in Germany, "X-Series" made in Israel, "Platinum Chrome" made in Germany, and "Personna Comfort Coated" made in the USA, assembled (??) in Mexico.

Astra. I don’t know how hard it is to get Russian razor blades right now, but I still have a lot of them as I had grown a beard for the last 5 years.

Now my face has to get used to shaving again.

At last count I had 46 safety razors, DE, SE, and injector.
I believe I have about 10 straight razors, but it’ll be a while before I’m ready to shave again with a straight.

Feather blades...and Kai too...work well in medium aggressive razors, for me. Feathers can be a little harsh, especially on the first shave.

I tend to use high gapped razors that don't really benefit from extra sharpness or extra exposure (in the case of Kai). Wolfman WR1 .94mm SBs, WR2s up to 1.75mm SB, and I especially love my Rocnel Sailors. The Sailors get the bulk of the work.

Nice to see some old skewl DE fans here.
I agree. Kai and Feather are my top 2, and like you I tend towards the wider-gaps. My daily driver is a Timeless OC .95.

A Merker Progress adjustable at about 2.5 is a good travel razor, and then it's on to the vintage Gillette Flat-Bottom Deluxes and Aristocrats.

My Timeless is my favorite, but my vintage Gillette Flats are amazing. Some are approaching 100 years old, and are some of the best razors I've ever used.

Back