Fiddlebacks and Food

Padre getting it's feet wet in the kitchen:

B7mbkUil.jpg

Nice!
What is the wood on the Gaucho.

I'll trade you recipes for this, if you'll post yours. If you just wing it, I'll just post mine.

Nice!
What is the wood on the Gaucho.

I'll trade you recipes for this, if you'll post yours. If you just wing it, I'll just post mine.
That is some nicely aged Osage with natural liners and blue pinstripes! I can post you up the recipe for my soup. Its pretty easy.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
(Birk's)

1 Tbl minced garlic
2 ea small bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 ea large onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 28 oz can pear tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 8 oz can tomato puree
1 ea canned chipotle chiles, chopped (Note: NOT 1 can; 1 chili)
50 oz chicken stock
6 ea roasted chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt and pepper
1 Tbl roasted cumin, ground
1 ea bay leaf
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup cilantro, very coarsely chopped
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbl roasted coriander seeds, ground
1 Tbl dried oregano

In a stock pot, with a little oil, cook
Bell peppers
Onions
Celery
until soft, but not browned​
Add all remaining ingredients, except cilantro.
Bring to a boil, then simmer until flavors are thoroughly mingled, about 30 minutes.
Add cilantro, and simmer for 10 minutes more.

Serve with baked tortilla strips, if desired.

Fiddleback Friday Chicken Tortilla soup
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion diced
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 jalapenos diced(or more if you like it spicy)
  • 5 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  • 2 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes w/green chilies
  • 1 11 ounce can corn(drained)
  • 1 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed & drained
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper red pepper flakes
  • 3 tablespoons crushed corn tortilla chips
  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • kosher or sea salt to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in stock pot
Add onion and cook until translucent
Add Jalepenos and cook for a minute
Add garlic and cook for a minute
Pour in chicken stock, corn, beans, tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, & spices and reduce heat.
Place whole chicken breasts into the pot and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes (chicken will cook through during this time).
Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and shred the meat, then return shredded chicken to the pot.
Add heavy cream, stir well, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla strips, sour cream, Avocado slices, and Cilantro.

Last edited:
For having the same name, it's interesting how very different these recipes are.
Yours obviously produces a much more substantial, creamier soup. I'll definitely try it some time.

Before I retired, I worked near a restaurant that made my version of the soup every Thursday. Without fail, I'd walk over to get a container of this. I became acquainted with one of the employees who manned the the cash register at the restaurant's take-out cafe, which sold the soup. I once casually asked whether it would be possible to get the recipe. Turns out, he was also a line cook, who was responsible for preparing their soups. (Apologies if that isn't something that line cooks would do, but that's what I remember him being). Some weeks later, he handed me a handwritten recipe for the soup, of restaurant-sized proportions:
5 lbs bell pepper
1 box roasted chicken
10 bunches cilantro
2 cups Worchestershire sauce
and the like...

What I posted is a severely scaled-back version, which turned out pretty good.

Nice! I cut up 2 containers of strawberries the other day with my Pocket Kephart to make strawberry lemonade. Forgot to take a picture...
I've yet to handle a Pocket Kephart. Seems like a nice little option for an EDC.

I combined the strawberries and the white peach and lightly sprinkled them with sugar. I added some cranberry juice and heated it up to just below a simmer. I've been covering a slice of peach bread with it for breakfast.

Back