Finnish/Earlier Scandi axes - Kirves

image-14.jpg
Withs & withouts
Show
Show
The №2 photo is really what I imagine as the archetypical Finnish axe form of all time, seems to have some distinction also from the Swedish, like you say.

I hear what you are saying Ernest. Where would you guess (or know) your axe is from, locale made, or influenced by? Finland or Sweden maybe?
The axe is Swedish, a unique version of a certain category of carving axe, probably could even be nailed down regionally by the one sufficiently clued in. I say unique because of the similar axes I ever stumbled across all are individually made and not series produced on any kind of significant scale. It is a real fun axe to use even though I'm kind of embraced by it.

Thank you both for bringing up these points!
I was aware of their poll-less forms (even posted some of this material earlier) but maybe wasn't taking that into consideration/perspective with the one Jake posted.
And I suppose that is why I have become fascinated with the history, development, many forms, and techniques used to form these old kirves.

thumbnail-by-url.json

Show

And I do suppose that the poll-less ones could take on a somewhat downward angle after being banged on.
Poll-less.jpg

There're some wonderful people around,thanks to whom we know much that could've very easily been lost.
One can speculate about Why some of these axes had an extra poll added,and how and for what they were used...(something i notice in old photos is that Finns tend to favor their firewood in pretty long lengths,and i know they drive stout wooden wedges with the poll to start some of those splits).
But here's a wonderful exploration by Jim Austin,with a Norwegian smith,that in part involves welding on just such a poll:
http://forgedaxes.com/forging-the-swedish-carpenters-axe/

I came across this forum trying to identify a axe I have just brought but ime struggling to identify it and wondered if you could help out which model it is,I don’t have may pictures as I have not received it yet but I will include pictures and details I do know (ime not sure on how to post pictures if someone could let me know)
Thanks Joseph

It is a Billnäs
Weight with Handel is 3.43kg

I came across this forum trying to identify a axe I have just brought but ime struggling to identify it and wondered if you could help out which model it is,I don’t have may pictures as I have not received it yet but I will include pictures and details I do know (ime not sure on how to post pictures if someone could let me know)
Thanks Joseph

It is a Billnäs
Weight with Handel is 3.43kg

3.43kg is about 7.5lbs of handled axe, putting it probably into the Piluja range. You obviously saw a picture of it before buying- does it generally look like any of shapes below?
35675597836_7be561c97a_k.jpg

35546403702_365f5dce92_k.jpg

35675597426_295bcd82d1_k.jpg

No. 31 in the following:
35715130945_ecb79c7271_k.jpg

No.42/2 in the following:
35715130205_bb85b01312_k.jpg

Without a picture it’s hard to say which it might be. Do you have a seller picture or a link to the now defunct listing? (Assuming it was purchased that route)

Regardless, some photos when it arrives would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Agent H that picture you have posted is the axe I have brought, so it's a 25/2-5

F Farmerjoe97 - I came close to buying it myself and had previously saved photos from the listing to figure out its possible model number. It is a very worthy example of that style of Finnish axe. Please share some pictures and your impressions of it when it arrives!

I think Kevin narrowed it down well to 25/3 or 25/4 given its weight.

This is quite an interesting topic. I found this forum just a few days ago when I bought a Chopper 1 -style (but unnamed) axe and searched for some information. I haven't been particularly enthusiastic about axes, though have been using them more or less all my life. Sadly the "less" has been pronounced in the last ten years as I've been living in urban area. Last autumn me and my spouse bought an old log cabin and fell some trees last week. In other words axes became part of my life again. I try to take some pictures of them tomorrow. At least one of them is Billnäs, but I haven't really looked at them much closer.

By the way, I found this picture especially interesting. It says "axe from Rautalampi and Suonenjoki". I was born in Suonenjoki (Vein river). The town got it's name from narrow river (also named Suonenjoki) which flows through it. Some of my first experiences with axes are from boating trips on that river. Rautalampi (Iron lake) is just 20 kilometers from there.

thumbnail-by-url.json

Last edited:
I finally receive my axe the other week I’ve only hade time to clean the rust off the head,oil and sand the Handel my only gripe is that someone has welded it up at some time in its life apart from that ime happy i just need to sharpen and get a sheath made for it
V6G267

I finally receive my axe the other week I’ve only hade time to clean the rust off the head,oil and sand the Handel my only gripe is that someone has welded it up at some time in its life apart from that ime happy i just need to sharpen and get a sheath made for it
V6G267

Here is one of your photos F Farmerjoe97 - Please don't think less of me but I am a bit jealous lol!

Billnas 25/3 or 25/4

I don’t blame you AGENT H how do I upload images??

I have got another Finnish style axe in my shed I will dig it out and take some pictures tomorrow,you may be able to decide if it’s a Billnäs or Kellokoski and with model (I was told it was a Billnäs when I brought it but ime unsure)

Back