Firesteel vs a Lighter...

A few years ago I deliberately put myself in a situation where Hypothermia was a big possibility.....stupid I know but I was so confident in my abiliy to start fire with my PSK ( I had chosen a spot where I was close enough to drag my ass back to the car if everything went wrong )....man was this ever a learning curve.
The wind and driving sleet was so severe that everything in my kit failed except one item. I started with the ferro-rod....failed, went to stormproof matches....failed, onto the Bic.....failed big time. It was only when I struck up one of those big BBQ match things made of the compressed fuel that I managed to get fire. By that time I had lost the dexterity to use any more matches or a Bic.
In the worst weather the loss of dexterity happens much quicker than you think, never get over confident in any one way of making fire and always make sure to practice in the worst of the weather as that is when ya gonna need it !

im not sure if everyone knows this, but bic lighters will work again once dried out if they get soaked... As I used to be a smoker i used to have a bic on me at all times, many of times i jumped in the pool, got rained on, or left them in the wash, within an hour or so, they are ready to work again like nothing happened...

If you have some cotton covered in vaseline there is no problem with the mag bars with the thin firesteel on top. My daughter even started the camp fire with one a couple of weeks ago. I always keep several firestraws in my hip pack, backpack, and one in my pocket.

String out a cotton ball and soak it in vaseline, wrap it around the haft of a waterproof match, stuff it in a peice of straw and seal both ends by heating them up with a lighter and clamping with pliers. You have a tinder and something to start it with all in one.

Of course this is just another backup to the firesteel and lighter.

Timberweasel,

Paddler. :D

Shoot me your address man. Ill send you a ferro rod to play with. I gots a few...:D

-J

Timberweasal,

I believe the proper term is "One With No Motor":D

ISKski
"im not sure if everyone knows this, but bic lighters will work again once dried out if they get soaked... As I used to be a smoker i used to have a bic on me at all times, many of times i jumped in the pool, got rained on, or left them in the wash, within an hour or so, they are ready to work again like nothing happened..."

There are just some situations where I wouldn't want to wait a hour or so to dry out along with the lighter...:D

Alan

Timberweasel,

Paddler. :D

Shoot me your address man. Ill send you a ferro rod to play with. I gots a few...:D

-J

That's a mighty fine gesture, fella! I appreciate it, but save yourself some postage and buy yourself some more gear... I reckon I can pick up a ferro rod fairly cheaply. But your input on this thread has definitely influenced me, and for that, many thanks!

"Unless you're always prepared, you're never prepared..."
"Keep 'em sharp!"
"May the Force be with you"
et al... :D

--Timber

Forget about the puny Bic lighter. When the wind is blowing and the rain is falling hard and youre cold, wet and hungry, you aint got time to be dicking around with some Bic lighter.

This baby puts out a 2300F flame thatll keep on burning in windy conditions. I havent had a chance to try out its water resistancy yet though. Ill have to drop it in a glass of water and see if it lights afterwards. I suscpect itll go dead, but light again when its dry.

I never trust a mechanical thing 100 %, when im out in the wilderness. I always carry a firesteel as backup. A matchcap too in adverse weather.

Nothing is more satisfying though, than lighting a fire with a firesteel. :thumbup:

DSC06211.jpg

I've had a bic fail (burnout??) in extreme rain conditions. I've always heard it was possible, but when it happens to you it becomes clear the value of a good firesteel! a butane lighter can be wind-challenged and a fireteel is not. A butane lighter must be warmed in extrem cold, a fireteel does knot. a butane lighter must be shaken out and tried repeadedly after a dunking, a firesteel does not. I carry a zippo which mitigates the wind factor and I'm "in tune" with it, so I know it is unlikely to fail. However I still reach for the firesteel first. it can be used thousands of times, why waste the "easy" flame of the lighter if you don't need it?

I understand this sentiment, fella. If I did not, I wouldn't have started this thread. ;)

For years, I've only taken a lighter, a few books of penny matches in a plastic pouch, and considered my 'when-all-else-fails' option a sealed waterproof container of strike anywhere matches--seemed to work well enough, and I never had any problems. I know firesteels, ferro rods, and 'flint-and-tinder' kits have been around for a long time, but I just never knew any who used 'em.

My "if all else fails" I'm very good at making a bow.... That's why I carry knives ;)

And people talking a bout canoeing(I don't canoe I kayak FYI) the last trip I went on I wore boots, fatigues, multiple shirts, and all my regular gear on my pockets and on my belt- I did some swimming too, didn't have no issues myself, but I'm not normal I guess....

Last edited:
Everyone makes their choices and takes their chances. :)

Not this kid. Not anymore, at least. I went out today to buy a web-belt for my BK-2 and ended up grabbing a ferro rod as well. I felt kinda cheesy as I opted for a "Bear Grylls" super-duper-hella-mega-deluxe-eXtreme-for professional use only "Survival Series Fire Starter" by Gerber. It's got a rape-whistle too! (ok, crude attempt at humour there--sorry) What can I say? The ol' B&M only had maybe three different models to choose from: a very sketchy lookin' thing that could have been put together by a 6yr old kid somewhere for $10, a crazy uber-kit that had everything from cupholders and heated leather seats to racing stripes (around $50), or the Gerber kit for about $20. Anyone else admit to having one of these?? :eek:

Thanks to all for your input! :thumbup::cool::thumbup:

The firesteel is cool (to me) because it lasts so much longer than the lighter.

I usually use the firesteel and keep a lighter and some matches for backup.

I use the firesteel as a primary because it works on skills and isn't affected by the wind or weather. A single bic lighter will easily light three fires a day for a month, but it's affected by wind and water. For remote wilderness travel I have a lighter with inner tube around it, a firesteel, matches and PJCB's to ensure I'll be able to get a fire going.

im not sure if everyone knows this, but bic lighters will work again once dried out if they get soaked... As I used to be a smoker i used to have a bic on me at all times, many of times i jumped in the pool, got rained on, or left them in the wash, within an hour or so, they are ready to work again like nothing happened...

Or quicker yet, you can just blow out the water until the lighter is dry enough to light. Takes only a couple minutes.

Over the last few years, from time to time, there would be a heated thread in here about some people - sometimes truly innocent people and at other times, totally irresponsible, idiotic cretins, being charged for their rescue. Three morons go up a mountain and the weather changes and they freak out, or think they're being very clever and smartassed, so they call for a rescue because they were cold or didn't think they could make it back down in their flip-flops...whatever.

The thread would heat up because some of these people were charged for dozens and sometimes hundreds of hours of helicopter time and fuel and a load of other costs generally associated with these "rescues."

For the most part, I don't think people should lose their home or have their wages garnished for years because they twisted their ankle and some bureaucrat thinks they can steal the person's house or wages to cover the cost of the rescue. It's a freedom thing. I like freedom.

All of that having been said, when I see the continued droning on and on about the virtues of disposable cigarette lighters and the borderline condemnation of a lifesaving piece of gear - a ferrocerium rod - I see the argument of purchasing a gas station counter Spyderco (rip-off) knife over a real pocketknife or the purchase of a backpack that is a total piece of trash because it was in the bargain bin at Target...over something that is much better and will keep your stuff safe and secure on your back instead of all over the trail. :D

When I see that sort of thing...I think about people who don't even know enough to know what they don't know. A phrase that has become a cliche, to say the least. But it's true.

Not this kid. Not anymore, at least. I went out today to buy a web-belt for my BK-2 and ended up grabbing a ferro rod as well. I felt kinda cheesy as I opted for a "Bear Grylls" super-duper-hella-mega-deluxe-eXtreme-for professional use only "Survival Series Fire Starter" by Gerber. It's got a rape-whistle too! (ok, crude attempt at humour there--sorry) What can I say? The ol' B&M only had maybe three different models to choose from: a very sketchy lookin' thing that could have been put together by a 6yr old kid somewhere for $10, a crazy uber-kit that had everything from cupholders and heated leather seats to racing stripes (around $50), or the Gerber kit for about $20. Anyone else admit to having one of these?? :eek:

Thanks to all for your input! :thumbup::cool::thumbup:

i bought the bear grylls fire kit too just to see what it's like...and the bear grylls parang, cold steel kukri, condor parang, etc. i'm not an elitist or hater. i test all kinds of gear for myself and form my own opinion of them :)

p.s. that fire kit works just fine compared to light my fire, goinggear misch metal, firesteel.com and esee fire kit :thumbup:

Over the last few years, from time to time, there would be a heated thread in here about some people - sometimes truly innocent people and at other times, totally irresponsible, idiotic cretins, being charged for their rescue (...)

Wait... what? I don't follow. This thread has been very helpful and informative, at least to me. Nobody was condemning anything... :confused:

p.s. that fire kit works just fine compared to light my fire, goinggear misch metal, firesteel.com and esee fire kit :thumbup:

Good to know! Thanks! I look forward to playing with it some... :thumbup:

Wait... what? I don't follow. This thread has been very helpful and informative, at least to me. Nobody was condemning anything... :confused:

It has been helpful and informative, I hope that I contributed to that narrative as well!

The borderline condemnation is of the ferrocerium rod. I've been around for a few years now. :D I have watched people, for years, talk about how "stupid" or "inconvenient" it is to wear a PFD, a Personal Flotation Device, when they are out in a boat. You make your choice and you take your chance. Fall out and bust your head, you drown. Get a cramp? You drown. Whatever. That's where I am going. A good ferrocerium rod costs between $6.00 and $30.00 depending on the exact model you choose. I am always amused at the backflips people will put themselves through to simply be contrarian when it comes to certain things.

It has been helpful and informative, I hope that I contributed to that narrative as well!

You did indeed, fella! Good folks 'round these parts, I'd say. I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in... I guess it is a very basic topic, so thanks for humouring me. :)

Back