Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

I might be going for Elk in the next couple of days; anyone use an EDC2 to field dress? I seen more than a few reports of individuals using the FK or UFK, but was curious if anyone used the smaller blade.

I would definitely bring your EDC 2 along.

Used my EDC1 in D2 and EDC 2 in D3V to breakdown several Javelina’s. Not even close to anything Elk size, but they both worked fantastic. I hope to get on an Elk bow hunt someday, and when/if that happens, my EDC’s, D2 HDFK and UFK will all come along. I’m curious how each will do in that role. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

I don’t know about you guys but it seems like I spend the spring and summer thinking about fishing trips and the fall planning for bow hunting trips.

This time of year it’s all about fishing, so here’s a few pics of our third annual Bluefin 2.5 day charter off of San Clemente Island. Every year has been great fishing and the Bluefin seem to be getting bigger each year. Figured I needed some heavier gear this year because we got into a ripper bite of 150-227 pound Bluefin last year. I burned the midnight oil after work to finish up several heavier United Composites rail rods for the trip. Here’s one of them on the rod wrapping lathe.

upload_2019-8-25_15-3-10.jpeg

The first day started off slow And is typical Bluefin fishing. The fish were everywhere, jumpers, breezers and everywhere on the meter, but we could only convince two to bite.

Day two was more of the same. Intel was that the fish were biting in the afternoon and you had to find the right school that wanted to bite. At about noon, the captain decided to make a move and it paid off. We found a group willing to play and each of our 11 anglers caught Bluefin up to 265 pounds.

Bluefin are notoriously boat shy and the majority of the fish we caught we using a kite to drag a frozen flying fish up to a 100 plus yards away from the boat. The best part was watching 200 plus pound Bluefin explode on the bait like a Largemouth Bass on a surface plug. Occasionally the fish would come completely out of the water and sometimes it would take 3-4 Strikes to connect with a fish. Each time a fish took a swipe at a bait, everyone on the boat went nuts. Good times!

We each took a turn on the kite and rotated every 20 minutes. It was a hero or zero proposition. I got my turn and Five minutes into my rotation, a huge Bluefin exploded on my bait, but missed. ☹️

Two more Bluefin tried to make a meal of my bait and on the third attempt we connected to a big one.

Once connected, you have to reel in 100 plus yards of slack line to come tight on the fish. I reeled in the slack and the fish burned off about 300 yards of line before settling down. About 45 minutes later, I got the fish to the boat. You know it’s a good day when it takes four or more guys to bring your fish over the rail! It ended up weighing 257 pounds. Happy day!

upload_2019-8-25_15-5-10.jpeg upload_2019-8-25_15-5-43.jpeg upload_2019-8-25_15-8-15.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-25_15-4-13.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-25_15-4-13.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 0
I don’t know about you guys but it seems like I spend the spring and summer thinking about fishing trips and the fall planning for bow hunting trips.

This time of year it’s all about fishing, so here’s a few pics of our third annual Bluefin 2.5 day charter off of San Clemente Island. Every year has been great fishing and the Bluefin seem to be getting bigger each year. Figured I needed some heavier gear this year because we got into a ripper bite of 150-227 pound Bluefin last year. I burned the midnight oil after work to finish up several heavier United Composites rail rods for the trip. Here’s one of them on the rod wrapping lathe.

View attachment 1185341

The first day started off slow And is typical Bluefin fishing. The fish were everywhere, jumpers, breezers and everywhere on the meter, but we could only convince two to bite.

Day two was more of the same. Intel was that the fish were biting in the afternoon and you had to find the right school that wanted to bite. At about noon, the captain decided to make a move and it paid off. We found a group willing to play and each of our 11 anglers caught Bluefin up to 265 pounds.

Bluefin are notoriously boat shy and the majority of the fish we caught we using a kite to drag a frozen flying fish up to a 100 plus yards away from the boat. The best part was watching 200 plus pound Bluefin explode on the bait like a Largemouth Bass on a surface plug. Occasionally the fish would come completely out of the water and sometimes it would take 3-4 Strikes to connect with a fish. Each time a fish took a swipe at a bait, everyone on the boat went nuts. Good times!

We each took a turn on the kite and rotated every 20 minutes. It was a hero or zero proposition. I got my turn and Five minutes into my rotation, a huge Bluefin exploded on my bait, but missed. ☹️

Two more Bluefin tried to make a meal of my bait and on the third attempt we connected to a big one.

Once connected, you have to reel in 100 plus yards of slack line to come tight on the fish. I reeled in the slack and the fish burned off about 300 yards of line before settling down. About 45 minutes later, I got the fish to the boat. You know it’s a good day when it takes four or more guys to bring your fish over the rail! It ended up weighing 257 pounds. Happy day!

View attachment 1185344 View attachment 1185347 View attachment 1185354

Woohoo!!!! I'd love to see them hit that bait. Envious of you guys on the big water!! :)

This time of year it’s all about fishing, so here’s a few pics of our third annual Bluefin 2.5 day charter off of San Clemente Island. Every year has been great fishing and the Bluefin seem to be getting bigger each year. Figured I needed some heavier gear this year because we got into a ripper bite of 150-227 pound Bluefin last year.

View attachment 1185341

You know it’s a good day when it takes four or more guys to bring your fish over the rail! It ended up weighing 257 pounds. Happy day!

View attachment 1185344 View attachment 1185347 View attachment 1185354

Thanks for sharing. We want to try bluefin this winter in the Gulf Stream

Thanks for sharing. We want to try bluefin this winter in the Gulf Stream

Bluefin can be a love/hate thing. So many times I have been surrounded by them while they are feeding/boiling around the boat, but can’t get them to bite a bait or lure.

There’s no guarantee, but the 3-5 days leading up to a full moon seem to be the best time for the Bluefin to bite, followed by 3-5 days prior to a new moon. Lemme know if u ever make it out to the so cal area.

Went out goose hunting for the first time ever this morning. It was opening day, 7 of us went out, 2x Canada geese was the limit and we brought 12 down. A buddy at work is a waterfowl freak, I didn't know the first thing about it except the shooting part.

We put up 60 silhouettes and a dozen full size decoys next to a stand of corn waiting to be cut for silage at about 5:30 and they started rolling in at about 7:30.

We got busted early, took a pair that came in but before we could grab the dead ones a couple bigger groups came in and flared out. Then a group of about 50 came in and landed about 60-100 yards out and honked and bitched, seemed to be walking towards us then flapped around then we just went out and ran them off. We took another pair and settled back in.

After we took the 2nd pair we shifted the silhouettes and my buddy's dad yelled out and one of our 'dead' geese came booking out of the corn. They're mated pairs so that was a bit disturbing thinking about what was going through its head but I caught up to it and finished it off, had my CPK EDC on my belt.

The morning got clear and warm and after sitting with our thumbs up our butts for a couple hours we shifted east down the field and some other shooters flushed a group out and we took 8 more. 5 of them went down into some scummy water and before anyone could say that the new guy should get them I dumped my pockets and went after them. I grabbed 3 and it was rough going, the mud was knee high and the water was shoulder high. 2 of the other guys were smarter than me and stripped down before they went in and grabbed the others.

If we would've gotten that first pair out of the field right away we would've limited out and been gone by 8:30 but I'm glad it worked out how it did.

I've only hunted with 1 other person tagging along for deer and squirrel and that was over 20 years ago, this group hunting thing was a new experience. 5/5, would go again.

1RNZfQr.jpg

Back