Fishing, and hunting reports (share yours)

Yep, Idaho :thumbsup: Those pictures are from kind of all over the place.......a few from North Central along the main Salmon River, some from Central along the South Fork of the Boise River and below the Sawtooth Wilderness, and a few from South West near the Snake River breaks. I love Idaho, even my meager photo skills yield good pictures once in awhile :D
You should indeed love Idaho:thumbsup: Beautiful Country, I am Envious;)

We were out last night for archery. With my 11 year old. We had one of the largest buck I have seen go walking right up the center the field, wagging his tail and browsing, and totally ignoring the grunt call. Then a small 4 point came t osee what the commotion was, and he also wander off without getting close enough.

The weather was changing, winds SW then shifting to the N at about 10 right before sunset. A low pressure cold front moving in today. So we will all be out tonight again. See what happens.

My mother drew a bull elk tag this year. Seems like we can get into the elk, but nothing with horns. She's not able to get far from the truck, so the tougher spots that I know hold elk are a no go. Here's a couple pictures through the field glasses.

KUCRDNc.jpg

vwBR8f5.jpg

My mother drew a bull elk tag this year. Seems like we can get into the elk, but nothing with horns. She's not able to get far from the truck, so the tougher spots that I know hold elk are a no go. Here's a couple pictures through the field glasses.

KUCRDNc.jpg

vwBR8f5.jpg
Man, I love that kind of country. Where yo u can see the elk, and they are not locked in dark timber.

We were out last night for archery. With my 11 year old. We had one of the largest buck I have seen go walking right up the center the field, wagging his tail and browsing, and totally ignoring the grunt call. Then a small 4 point came t osee what the commotion was, and he also wander off without getting close enough.

The weather was changing, winds SW then shifting to the N at about 10 right before sunset. A low pressure cold front moving in today. So we will all be out tonight again. See what happens.

I hope that the broken arm is no longer an issue and out of its cast?

@Nathan the Machinist please move this lad to the head of the line and get him a knife suitable for all the game he'll take and the memories that will be among the best of his life.

Yes sir! Sorry I forgot to let everyone know. He recovered well. And is practicing archery every day.

Here he is with his first deer of this year. With a rifle in youth hunt. Still waiting for his EDC 2.

pE3xHpel.jpg

My mother (76) drew a bull elk tag in a good unit this year and I've been busy spending as many days as possible out with her. We had been seeing good numbers of elk, but just couldn't find much with horns on its head.

vwBR8f5.jpg

Then over the weekend we located and made a try for a herd that we could see had some branch antler bulls in it. It was tough on my mom on the way in, so I told her to just set her own pace and stop as she needed, no sense to push it too hard.

We came to the point where she needed a rest, so I got her sat on a good crossing and told her that since the elk had fed over the ridge I was going to move ahead and glass the next draw to see if they were bedded in it. I'd be back to gather her up after she had caught her wind. The elk were there alright and there were several more bulls we hadn't seen originally, a couple of them pretty good, so I slipped out real easy and headed back.

I didn't know that a few head had fed back over the ridge and I walked right under them and blew them out. They gathered up the whole herd, at least 30 head, and over the mountain they went. If you've ever hunted elk you know that deer change hills, but elk can and will change zipcodes. I was just sick. A whole morning's stalk blown and it was my fault after getting her to walk in.

:eek: :( :mad: :oops:

A couple days later we get our legs back under us and decide to give it another try, a different spot that I'd got a lead on a few bulls and would hopefully be more glassing and less walking. Just after daylight we found a bachelor group of three bulls, a small five, a huge five, and a big six with a broke left. We wanted that big five and got set up for a shot.

The bulls were feeding up the ridge. Before we could get set up, the big five had fed into the timber with the other two following behind but still in the open. As quick as she could mom switched over to the broke-horned bull and sent one. This was long range shooting, and my mom is not nearly so familiar with the longer, open-ground hunting as she is with close range whitetails. Even so, we had done our job with the ranging and the dialing, and she put one through him at 514 yards. A little moment of hunching up and then off hard down the ridge he goes. Wow.....

No way was my mother going to be able to negotiate the slope, so down over the hill I went with a buddy that was good enough to volunteer this day.

XDkyxQO.jpg

Then started the work. We took him apart and started over the hill to the road in the bottom of the canyon with the heaviest pack I've ever shouldered. I hung my half on the scales today. The two of us each had this, and I had the horns and the skinned skull for a euro mount in my hands. Then I still had to make one more trip alone for a smaller load after this.

jz9nweLm.jpg

With the head. I snapped a shot with the scales in it :grin:

wcMlNSW.jpg

LmIIqHpm.jpg

My eberlestock X2 day pack is built for hauling a one-quarter load. Needless to say my shoulders are hurting (not the pack's fault, that thing is tougher than heck by the way) and my feet are bad sore and some blistered from the perspiration, side-hilling and ridiculous weight. BUT, we are home and my mother is all smiles now :)

The steel....

PGyULqOl.jpg

DzvPfxtl.jpg

vWwsHtQ.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
My mother (76) drew a bull elk tag in a good unit this year and I've been busy spending as many days as possible out with her. We had been seeing good numbers of elk, but just couldn't find much with horns on its head.

vwBR8f5.jpg

Then over the weekend we located and made a try for a herd that we could see had some branch antler bulls in it. It was tough on my mom on the way in, so I told her to just set her own pace and stop as she needed, no sense to push it too hard.

We came to the point where she needed a rest, so I got her sat on a good crossing and told her that since the elk had fed over the ridge I was going to move ahead and glass the next draw to see if they were bedded in it. I'd be back to gather her up after she had caught her wind. The elk were there alright and there were several more bulls we hadn't seen originally, a couple of them pretty good, so I slipped out real easy and headed back.

I didn't know that a few head had fed back over the ridge and I walked right under them and blew them out. They gathered up the whole herd, at least 30 head, and over the mountain they went. If you've ever hunted elk you know that deer change hills, but elk can and will change zipcodes. I was just sick. A whole morning's stalk blown and it was my fault after getting her to walk in.

A couple days later we get our legs back under us and decide to give it another try, a different spot that I'd got a lead on a few bulls and would hopefully be more glassing and less walking. Just after daylight we found a bachelor group of three bulls, a small five, a huge five, and a big six with a broke left. We wanted that big five and got set up for a shot.

The bulls were feeding up the ridge. Before we could get set up, the big five had fed into the timber with the other two following behind but still in the open. As quick as she could mom switched over to the broke-horned bull and sent one. This was long range shooting, and my mom is not nearly so familiar with the longer, open-ground hunting as she is with close range whitetails. Even so, we had done our job with the ranging and the dialing, and she put one through him at 514 yards. A little moment of hunching up and then off hard down the ridge he goes. Wow.....

No way was my mother going to be able to negotiate the slope, so down over the hill I went with a buddy that was good enough to volunteer this day.

XDkyxQO.jpg

Then started the work. We took him apart and started over the hill to the road in the bottom of the canyon with the heaviest pack I've ever shouldered. I hung my half on the scales today. The two of us each had this, and I had the horns and the skinned skull for a euro mount in my hands. Then I still had to make one more trip alone for a smaller load after this.

jz9nweL.jpg

wcMlNSW.jpg

LmIIqHp.jpg

My eberlestock X2 day pack is built for hauling a one-quarter load. Needless to say my shoulders are hurting (not the pack's fault, that thing is tougher than heck by the way) and my feet are bad sore and some blistered from the perspiration, side-hilling and ridiculous weight. BUT, we are home and my mother is all smiles now :)

The steel....

PGyULqO.jpg

DzvPfxt.jpg

vWwsHtQ.jpg

Cheers!
Absolutely great story and pictures! Thanks

vwBR8f5.jpg

XDkyxQO.jpg

jz9nweL.jpg

wcMlNSW.jpg

LmIIqHp.jpg

The steel....

PGyULqO.jpg

DzvPfxt.jpg

vWwsHtQ.jpg

Cheers!
Thanks for sharing your story. I can't wait to go on my first elk hunt. You both sure are lucky, and definitely made some great memories!

Back