flashlights

Sounds about right. :D

Direct link.
6jLOq27.png

That's true stuff.

When I first became a flashlight junkie many moons ago, the Surefire 6P cranked about 65 lumens and had an incandescent bulb that burned out after 10 hours and broke if you dropped it. And it was the coolest thing on the market.

Fast forward 25 years, and small EDC lights commonly have 400+ lumens with LED emitters that last forever, and rechargeable batteries. For what, $60? And 1000 lumen lights are easy to find. So are 4000 lumen lights.

Check out the Nitecore TM36 just for giggles.

f7c515f5.jpg

Surefire 6P.

HIDBeamshot-vi.jpg

This is not my pic, but I do own a modded Mag-lite like the one shown. It sports a High Intensity Discharge bulb and was cranking big lumens long before today's high output LEDs hit the market. That was a fun time to be a flashlight freak. Now days, anyone with $100 can throw giant lumens.

I stopped chasing lumens a while ago. I use my light for watching where I'm going, and letting traffic see where I am crossing the street. NOT looking to blind anyone. :)

Even something like the Nitecore Tube is fun for EDC. For $11, it makes plenty of usable light and is UBS rechargeable. To me, that's pretty cool.

I still remember going to a flashlight gathering years back. Saw a hopped-up Mag that would shut off streetlights and set fire to paper, another modded Mag that had 3 LED emitters and both red and green laser emitters, and a Megaray. The latter was a countersniper tool that barely fit in the owner's Countach. It lit up a house (thankfully empty) brighter than daylight at somewhere around 500'.

Since there are some flashlight guys all in one thread, I'll ask for a recommendation: ~$40, 18650 powered, more flood than throw, multi mode, tail switch. Does not need to be super tough, just durable as a find your way back to the tent at night when hunting. Dad could use a decent light for his pack and his birthday is coming.

-Xander

I'm not a huge flashlight freak but I do have a couple.
Recently I snagged this Eagletac D25C Ti.
It pushes out almost 500 with a lithium ion battery and about 340 with a regular cr123.
Love how small and pocketable this one is.
BDF97A9E-1248-4FDB-AD05-90A9504B195B_zpskaq08qiu.jpg

E64EDE24-3A0D-44EF-9AC1-4F27A6841ACB_zps4zzpetcz.jpg

Dcmartin, do you post on CPF? I recognize your yard, haha!
I have the same Eagtac on my bike for my night commute, and it works great.

I just got a McGizmo sapphire, and that has been my latest carry light, but I love my AA HiCRI Haiku more than just about anything.

Since there are some flashlight guys all in one thread, I'll ask for a recommendation: ~$40, 18650 powered, more flood than throw, multi mode, tail switch. Does not need to be super tough, just durable as a find your way back to the tent at night when hunting. Dad could use a decent light for his pack and his birthday is coming.

-Xander

The Nitrcore P12 and Olight M21X are both great lights.

I got the little black one just for laughs, since my other 2 are fine and don't really need more than those 2.
The tiny toolvn puts out about 500-800 lumens for at least 5 minutes, on an aaa size 10440 battery.

but yeah, 500 is bright enough for any situaion, 85 being perfect for everyday like a keychain.

Have a lot of flashlights and keep spares with me. They tend to accumulate in my work bag and then I clean it out finding 5 or 6 flash lights. I'm pretty comfortable with about 200 lumens overall.

-Xander

Do some research on the BLF A6. My cheapest light yet one of my favorites.

Nice seeing an enthusiast thread here. Quick little list of my options for illumination...

STOCK:
Surefire LX2 Lumamax
Surefire P2X Fury
L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219b
Zebralight SC52w L2
Zebralight SC62w
Thrunite TN12 2014 NW
Thrunite Archer 2A V2 NW
Prometheus Beta QRv2 Cu
BLF A6 Special Edition Anodized - 3D
BLF A6 Special Edition Non-anodized - 3D

CUSTOM/MODDED:
M2Xvn - XP-L HI 5000K, DriverVN2
Mtn Electronics S3 EDC - 3xNichia 219b, 4.4A, narrow frosted optic, 5 mode
TK61vn - XM-L2 PDTc

I got into flashlights about a year ago. Just as with my knives, I try to keep the collection sparse, but to make sure that I really love anything that I add to it. I currently have a Streamlight Stylus pro and a Foursevens mini M2A that I use as edcs, and both are great lights. I also have a maratac cr123 copper light arriving on Thursday that I'm insanely excited about. In either case, I love a good moonlight mode, around 1 lumen or so, for navigating the house at night. And for an edc, a max of around 200-300 lumens is about as much as I ever need.

However , my "check out how freaking bright this flashlight is" option is a foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3. The thing runs on a massive 26650 battery and spits out 1600 lumens on high. I live in a 1400 acre farm, so mostly I just stand outside light things up and feel like a boss :D
It's also helpful if the dog isn't quite in the mood to come back in after going to the bathroom :thumbup:

-Xander

I'd check out the Fenix PD32. It takes an 18650, has a brightness range from 5 to 340 lumens and you can find them for around 50 dollars or so.

I don't have a large budget for "expensive" flashlights. I do have 4 of the Maratac lights:
AA Extreme, 1st gen I believe, w/green clicker
Copper CR123 (daily carry)
AA - single, Rev 2 (May be rev 3)
and I just got the new Ti AAA Rev 3. Haven't had time to play w/it, but so small, light, and relatively bright!!

I do have a few old D cell Mag lights laying around, and now that the new LEDs are so bright, I doubt I'll ever use them again.

I don't have a large budget for "expensive" flashlights. I do have 4 of the Maratac lights:
AA Extreme, 1st gen I believe, w/green clicker
Copper CR123 (daily carry)
AA - single, Rev 2 (May be rev 3)
and I just got the new Ti AAA Rev 3. Haven't had time to play w/it, but so small, light, and relatively bright!!

I do have a few old D cell Mag lights laying around, and now that the new LEDs are so bright, I doubt I'll ever use them again.

How do you like the cr123?

Back