For the love of the Potbelly....

stvpoirciau you might want to edit your post, what you've said is probably considered "deal spotting" which is a no-no. The big river store is not a paid vendor here.

FWIW, tomarscabars.com has an even better price (and they're paid dealers that support the forum). The only problem with Tomars, is its really hard to just order 1 thing, especially when you combine shipping. :D

Erik

Idk, Amazon is quite an ambiguous destination. I never mentioned the seller as I didn't even look at who it was, you did that ;) I certainly don't have any connection to them, the only "Big River" Store I know is a local Bank which sells car Batteries out of the back.

Great knife! If I swap that piggyback for an ESEE Izula, I think I could never need another fixed blade.

WOW Man, Yeah! They're like $86 on Amazon right now, Free Shipping.

Ya I got mine awhile back though. I think the potbelly was out for 5-6 months when I bought mine. But oh well. I know I'm not going to need to buy another large field knife for a long time. I can live with that.

Great knife! If I swap that piggyback for an ESEE Izula, I think I could never need another fixed blade.

Thank you. Ya that's true but I like the feel of the Mora HD in my hand. All I need to do is make a small section of the spine closest to the handle have a 90 degree edge, for my fire steel. Besides I will have my Bushlore in the pack just in case.

Here is a couple of pics of mine, she is stripped, forced patina, bocote grips by tommythewho, and a sheath I made. These are great blades if you are thinking of one, take the plunge.

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

Becker owners, is the potbelly as unbreakable as the BK2?

Who here has batoned the heck out of it?

If I never see another factory made knife again, is the potbelly as strong a candidate as the BK2?
Thank you.

If I never see another factory made knife again, is the potbelly as strong a candidate as the BK2?
Thank you.

Don't have a potbelly, but it's the same thickness and steel as the BK2, made by the same company to the same quality. Kinda hard to go wrong there.

Thank you.

I have both.
The potbelly has a hollow grind so the edge is way thinner. I noticed the other day that my cutting edge had a bend in it. I haven't used that knife hard at all compared to my beckers so I would say no it is not as tough. Still a great knife tho.

I have both.
The potbelly has a hollow grind so the edge is way thinner. I noticed the other day that my cutting edge had a bend in it. I haven't used that knife hard at all compared to my beckers so I would say no it is not as tough. Still a great knife tho.
Thanks Dex, you too Hoss.

I've read on some forum somewhere (survivalforum?) where a guy had his potbelly chopping up some hardwood in cold weather and snapped chunks out his blade twice and someone chimed in how it was made more for softwoods and jungle climates than our hardwood American forest

Idk, is that true?

I've got a birthday coming up, so I'd liketo cover the bases for my indestructible "hatchet knife" and pick up a Becker Necker for belt carry.

It just looks like the Potbelly has so many advantages over the BK2 but nit if trainwrecking isn't one of them.

What's the warranty like on a quarter inch chopping knife?

I've drooled over this one for quite some time and id hate to sink $80 into a knife to break it, even if batoning.

A .25" thick full width tang knife made with "Abuse" in mi d should be replaced, right?

I've read on some forum somewhere (survivalforum?) where a guy had his potbelly chopping up some hardwood in cold weather and snapped chunks out his blade twice and someone chimed in how it was made more for softwoods and jungle climates than our hardwood American forest

Idk, is that true?

I've got a birthday coming up, so I'd liketo cover the bases for my indestructible "hatchet knife" and pick up a Becker Necker for belt carry.

It just looks like the Potbelly has so many advantages over the BK2 but nit if trainwrecking isn't one of them.

What's the warranty like on a quarter inch chopping knife?

I've drooled over this one for quite some time and id hate to sink $80 into a knife to break it, even if batoning.

A .25" thick full width tang knife made with "Abuse" in mi d should be replaced, right?

Going to say that American woods jungle woods thing is just mumbo jumbo...

KA-BAR has a very stand up warranty. Basically if you were not being a moron things are covered. I do not believe the potbelly was made with abuse in mind, rather a shorter, stouter, chopper. I cant even assuredly say the BK2 or any knife is REALLY made with abuse in mind, but rather performance under pressure. The hollow ground on the potbelly is its only downfall, other than that its a very stout blade in all normal/common usages its going to perform just fine... With the BK2 "everyone and their mamas" say its downfall is its thickness and its such a terrible blade because they say so.... OH and it had terrible slippery might as well have been made of soap scales... 99% of that is hogwash opinion rather than fact.... If your going to baton your blade, go for the BK2. Chop? Potbelly. Carve? Both.
But if I was a betting man and really wanted to play this game, I would say the BK2 is overall the stouter blade.

once again the potbelly is going to chop and slice better because of its thinner grind. The BK2 is going to be a better splitter, and probably have a little more in hand control. They are both like short .25" thick hatchets with points.

With either one you wont go wrong and long as you are not out in the woods being ridiculous.

Idk, is that true?

I know this is an old thread and although I do not claim to be any kind of an authority on such matters, people who use quality axe's in winter suggest you warm if first before heavy use to prevent chipping.
http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2013/10/tips-tricks-easy-way-to-warm-your-axe.html

mmmmmm, potbelly.

sometimes i dream of a 3/8ths thick one that is also longer :)

Back