Forced patina

Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of forced patinas on my 1095 blades. I just like the look of it. I've read that a forced patina provides a level of protection to the blade but how much?

I've got a set of Sabatier carbon steel kitchen knives that are about 10 years older than me... so about 35 years old. Got them from my parents.

Anyway, they have quite a patina on them, parts on some of the more used knives are almost jet black. The longest I've seen one wet before rust started to develop was a little over a day. It was sitting in the sink with droplets of water on it and I neglected to remember to clean them up. So I had these little ovals of rust where the droplets of water were. The steel underneath was still good. No pitting or anything, but on that one knife, there are now very dark patina ovals where the rust developed. I think it just adds to the character.

I know it isn't forced patina, but regardless, the patina it does indeed offer protection. I can only imagine the pitting if it didn't have a patina on it. Even with the patina, I clean them with soap and water, dry very very thoroughly, and apply mineral oil for storage.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone with forced patina experience will tell you exactly how well it will protect, but I felt compelled to contribute with my carbon steel, albeit limited, experience.

Gotta love carbon steel. It just sharpens up sooo nicely.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a stained blade can look better that a nicely polished one, but that's just me...:rolleyes::)

I don't understand how a stained blade can look better that a nicely polished one, but that's just me...:rolleyes::)

I don't understand how a nicely polishied carbon blade looks better than a stained one.
Same goes for stainless with coatings :p. I don't like coating though.
It's all personal preference. :rolleyes:

Perhaps think of it as a 'well used blade' rather than a stained blade. It has the look of an old and trusted friend. :)

I have a couple of carbon steel knives that my parent's gave me too. Of course, the fact that I'm 63 means these knives are probably 80-90 year old or more :eek: and the blades are quite dark now. Every tomato I cut makes them just a bit darker.

But I don't think the patina on these blades really gives them much protection at all. If you can see rust spots, that's water interacting with iron. The patina isn't protecting it at all. One day's rust isn't going to pit anything (visible to the naked eye.) Try leaving that water on the knife for a couple of months and see what happens. (Don't try this with a knife you care about!!!) Perhaps the patina might give an extra hour or two of protection (just guessing about the time here...) but that's all. Wipe off your carbon steel knives after washing! :thumbup:

Stitchawl

There was a thread from a guy a while back who literally had a D2 blade start to disintegrate after "forcing" a "patina."

Honest use is honest use. IMO/YMMV/FWIW a forced patina is abuse.

Sure it will help. Thats the first thing many old timers would do when they got a knife. A natural formed patina is great, but I will force a patina from time to time.

This CV mini copperlock was got for me at a flea market and had a very small spot that had started to pit, so I cleaned well and went ahead and forced the patina.

Also if your in a humid climate like I am I think it will help from getting that first sign of rust or pitting.

Was gave this one tuesday and forced the patina thursday evening. I think it looks much better know.
IMG_3735.jpg

What did you use for that Case knife? Has a very dark patina and, unless it's a trick of the camera, very red between some darker spots. Looks quite nice. I've only forced it on two knives, and it's a duller gray look when done.

There was a thread from a guy a while back who literally had a D2 blade start to disintegrate after "forcing" a "patina."

Honest use is honest use. IMO/YMMV/FWIW a forced patina is abuse.

How many knives have you forced a patina on? What was your outcome? People have been forcing a patina for a long time. Is allowing a patina to form by using it abuse? Sticking a blade in a tomato to bring out a patina when new instead of waiting until you need to cut a tomato is not abuse.

The person who ruined their blade was trying to force oxidation on a basically stainless steel. If the steel doesn't want to rust and you push it with what you are soaking it in or the length of time then you might have an unfavorable outcome. That is an extreme case and probably not a good idea but for the most part putting a patina on a blade is in no way abuse.

yeah, I don't understand how you could "disintegrate" a knife because of forcing a patina...?? I mean, 20 minutes to an hour with some mustard, vinegar, coke, acidic fruit juice, etc, won't affect the integrity of the steel past the surface in even the worst conditions. At least I wouldn't think so.... :p

This CV mini copperlock was got for me at a flea market and had a very small spot that had started to pit, so I cleaned well and went ahead and forced the patina.

Also if your in a humid climate like I am I think it will help from getting that first sign of rust or pitting.

Was gave this one tuesday and forced the patina thursday evening. I think it looks much better know.

I've got a Case mini copperlock in yellow CV just like yours and I forced a patina by sticking it into an apple overnight. The next day it looked just like yours w/ almost a rainbow type effect. I left it like that for awhile and decided I didn't really like it. So I used some metal polish which removed the coloration but not the underlying patina. It's a little lighter now but more even and natural looking.

Have a Case SBJ that had a lot of rust on the blades. I polished off the rust and forced a patina. Haven`t had a problem with rust ever since.:thumbup:

What did you use for that Case knife? Has a very dark patina and, unless it's a trick of the camera, very red between some darker spots. Looks quite nice. I've only forced it on two knives, and it's a duller gray look when done.

I stuck it in an orange, potato, apple and orange again. Left it in each about an hour, except only about 20 min in potato. After removing from each I would let knife sit for about ten min, then rinse with hot water before going to next fruit. I also cut up an apple and two oranges.
When I got the look I wanted I washed with soap/hot water and rubbed blade well with CLP.

If you move it under light you can see some nice blue coloring. Kinda reminds me of a case colored look finish.

The patina on a carbon steel blade serves to help prevent rust which, as you know, removes steel from the blade. So there is a value to a patina that goes way beyond its appearance. Personally, I think patinas are ugly but I sure value the way they can protect a carbon steel blade from more serious corrosion.

patina.jpg

I just like the look of a well used carbon steel blade. IMHO patina adds character but some people disagree.It's all just opinion.:)

I just like the look of a well used carbon steel blade. IMHO patina adds character but some people disagree.It's all just opinion.:)

I agree, its all opinion.

In my case, I think patina, forced or natural are beautiful and as many have said adds character to the knife.

Recently, I just got a Becker Necker and, again imo, placed a nice beautiful patina by using oranges and pineapples.

Again, it all depends on your opinion.

Take a look, and decide for yourself if its really all that bad. :D

DSCN0217.jpg

(For some reason it came out lighter in the pic, but its really dark grey)

I like an even 'natural' patina. I found that with my Old Hickory 1095 knives, the simple act of carving a medium rare roast or steak, put a beautiful and even grey patina on the blades.

Every now and again nature forces your hand..... then you have to force the patina. I never have any luck with O1 and end up having to force a patina. It just keeps that "pin-prick", pitting kind of rust at bay.

Here is a Fiddleback BLBK in O1 with Mustard Patina I did recently:

DSCN0083.jpg

Back