Forced patina

I want to do another patina pattern on my No.7 and I was just thinking if you can rub off patina with any chemicals or something like that?

I want to do another patina pattern on my No.7 and I was just thinking if you can rub off patina with any chemicals or something like that?

Polishing paste (Flitz/Simichrome) will work to remove it completely. The more polished the blade becomes, the slower a new patina will form. You can speed it up by sanding the blade a little to give it a satin finish; in general, a coarser finish more readily accepts a patina. You can also alter the existing patina with any acid, same as if applying the patina in the first place with vinegar, etc. Slicing and rubbing a piece of acidic fruit (lemon, grape, etc) on the blade will change the appearance of patina.

David

This thread is making me hungry. It also got me curious so I broke out a CV sodbuster,some mustard, and a toothpick. It might not really be necessary but forcing a patina can be kind of fun.

Last edited:
Chemically a blue/black patina is the same type of oxidation as what you get with a blueing solution as used on non stainless steel guns. I suspect that a diluted cold blue solution applied to a totally degreased carbon steel knife will give a very rapid patina when applied. Interesting patterns if mixed with flour or cornstarch and applied with a brush I suspect. For those who want a different visual effect Birchwood Casey also does a browning solution for steel. Available at most gun shops.

One does not simply "disintegrate" d2 steel. (Had a great image for that one but can't convert it to the right format. I'm sure we can all use our imaginations)

Back