Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Having been bitten by the forging bug, I'm seriously looking into a rounding hammer, around 2.5 lbs would be nice.

For now, I've been doing small projects like this...
IMG_20180725_002830235-1024x1820.jpg
IMG_20180717_141051538-1024x1820.jpg

I like the finer work right now, mainly because my technique sucks and I'm rusty at swinging a hammer. I'm limited now because of the size of my forge, it's great for blades but too narrow for most projects. I have two coal forges that I need to set up.

I like the finer work right now, mainly because my technique sucks and I'm rusty at swinging a hammer. I'm limited now because of the size of my forge, it's great for blades but too narrow for most projects. I have two coal forges that I need to set up.
That's where I'm at. Have started a coal forge out of a break drum, but it sits unfinished...under my bench...still.

My wife and I have had an eye out and have collected a few nice pieces of that stye of iron work - pretty, delicate and functional - though admittedly some of the function is nothing more than sitting on a shelf or hanging on the wall. :rolleyes: I have and have given away (a few with regret :confused:) some pretty unique hand forged, all iron, cork screws

I like :thumbsup:

AT ray

It might be counter productive, but I'm trying not to plan out too much when it comes to forged projects. I want to swing a hammer for a while and see what comes of it. I definitely want to stay with functional things, (although the kid in me that wants to figure out how to make a dinosaur:D)

Easy-peasy; forge a blade, bury it deep, then come back and dig it up 65,000,000 to 250,000,000 million years from now. See? (you can thank me later)... ;)

mitch4ging mitch4ging I have no self control :( a 2.75lb Nitzan Lilie Rounding hammer is enroute. It just wouldn't get out of my head. The handle is shorter than what I've been using but I choke up so much anyways, it should be good, we shall see.

Is it still considered an impulse buy if you've been staring at it for a week?:oops::D

mitch4ging mitch4ging I have no self control :( a 2.75lb Nitzan Lilie Rounding hammer is enroute. It just wouldn't get out of my head. The handle is shorter than what I've been using but I choke up so much anyways, it should be good, we shall see.

Is it still considered an impulse buy if you've been staring at it for a week?:oops::D

Nope. Unless it helps you sleep at night. :p

No, that's controlled consideration!! :D:thumbsup:
Congratulations!
I have one of the Hofi-type looking hammers with the short handle. I use it when choking up also. It should serve you well, you'll get use to it.
Always wanted one of Brian Brazeal's hammers, but could never justify it.

There's a couple of guys on Instagram that make Brazeal style rounding hammers. They're in the $150p - $200 range. Fiery Furnace Forge on eBay makes some nice ones.

That Lilie forge style hammer was eating at me (in a good way) so I messaged him on Instagram and asked about a 2.75lb. He got back to me pretty quick with a nice price.

There's a couple of guys on Instagram that make Brazeal style rounding hammers. They're in the $150p - $200 range. Fiery Furnace Forge on eBay makes some nice ones.

That Lilie forge style hammer was eating at me (in a good way) so I messaged him on Instagram and asked about a 2.75lb. He got back to me pretty quick with a nice price.
Can't fault you for that!

I gotta get to using what I have, make my wife something NICE...then maybe i can get a new favorite one! ;)

I'm gonna try to make a hairpin for mine, she always uses a chopstick or a pencil. Shouldn't be too hard, just draw a taper and put some kind of finial on the end?

Back