Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Is this "Name that finial"? Lol

#1 Sleeping Snake
#10 The Spatula
#11 Cartoon smashed hand

You can do a leaf as well or something like that.

I always liked a tight roll...
OR...I know, a BOTTLE OPENER!;)

A COW BELL :thumbsup: with a ringer. The pin can be the handle. The ringer can be a little diamond.

Kind of obvious to me :D

R

That has proven tougher than I thought. I hammered out a cylindrical bell and thought I could ease it into a rectangle, but turned into a mess. I have a better plan for next time.

That has proven tougher than I thought. I hammered out a cylindrical bell and thought I could ease it into a rectangle, but turned into a mess. I have a better plan for next time.

I new better. Really didn't think that to hammer out a bell - especially a hollow one with a ringer - was a practical forge and hammer project. :confused: The idea just struck me as an appropriate response to the cowbell master. :rolleyes: There were at least 16 better suggestions. :thumbsup:

Good for you to stubborn on though :)

Ray

I've been trying to figure out a forged cowbell 'charm' from the start. A cylindrical one was easier than I thought, I just tried to make it too small, it was around 1/4" wide by 1/2 tall. Next one I'll try 3/8 round and go from there. I could make a miniature spring fuller and that would help, .....and now I'm rambling.

Whilst working on the bullnose sheath I got frustrated with my junk leather skivers and realized how much the ones I have suck. This is the 'madness' I'm talking about, having a forge is dangerous. It's a good thing I don't have a 3D printer.
IMG_20180731_194549463-1024x1820.jpg
A skiver is used to thin down leather in case anyone's wondering. I use one a lot to remove the smooth side of the leather when gluing. The edge on this one will be on the upper left side in the picture. It's got to work better than the pieces of junk I have.

R&D while WIP - a veritable friggin KNIFE X thing you've got goin' Readmeadow Musker :cool:

Ray

Whilst working on the bullnose sheath I got frustrated with my junk leather skivers and realized how much the ones I have suck. This is the 'madness' I'm talking about, having a forge is dangerous. It's a good thing I don't have a 3D printer.
View attachment 957206
A skiver is used to thin down leather in case anyone's wondering. I use one a lot to remove the smooth side of the leather when gluing. The edge on this one will be on the upper left side in the picture. It's got to work better than the pieces of junk I have.
Nice, John!
5160?

Ray that's too funny, im just a knucklehead that gets an idea and can't shake it!

Dennis, It's just a chunk of 1095 from my scrap bucket. I may have to tool up better for forging, I do have some 5160 from Scott that I'm thinking might turn into a forged chopper. I've always liked James Helm's style and would like to give something like that a try.

If anyone wants to share any kind of forging work in here, pleas do.

Finally got around to putting a handle on this thang. Just needs to polish her up and make a sheath.
Forged 1075, 21" long 3/16 thick, convex ground with differential HT after 3 normalization cycles, Walnut scales. It will cut and it will keel! :p Not the best pic....:oops:
9uYpFvF.jpg

Finally got around to putting a handle on this thang. Just needs to polish her up and make a sheath.
Forged 1075, 21" long 3/16 thick, convex ground with differential HT after 3 normalization cycles, Walnut scales. It will cut and it will keel! :p Not the best pic....:oops:
9uYpFvF.jpg
NICE, Scooter!!
More pics are a requirement!
Digging the walnut scales as well!
Send it to me for testing. ;)

NICE, Scooter!!
More pics are a requirement!
Digging the walnut scales as well!
Send it to me for testing. ;)
Thanks Dennis, that pic doesn't do it justice. I want to put a lanyard hole in yet and finish the handle, I took it outside and cut some small Yew's down I've been meaning to get rid of and it went right through them. Cam back in and sliced some paper no problem.

Thanks Dennis, that pic doesn't do it justice. I want to put a lanyard hole in yet and finish the handle, I took it outside and cut some small Yew's down I've been meaning to get rid of and it went right through them. Cam back in and sliced some paper no problem.
Real fine job forging!
Look forward to more pictures.

9uYpFvF.jpg
That’s a good looking chopper.

I've heard there's money to be made making hand-forged square nails; all of the vintage ship-building reenactors are using them. :thumbsup:

I've heard there's money to be made making hand-forged square nails; all of the vintage ship-building reenactors are using them. :thumbsup:

Yeah those guys are nuts - I've been whittlin' hacmatack trunnels like crazy, tryin' to keep up :confused:

:D Ray

Sweet chopper Scott, we need to see more of that puppy!

Back