Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

It will cut and it weel stick in your garage door. :D some forge marks left but it's for me ands I like them:p

5sICRaA.jpg

5chqMEk.jpg

Looks great Scott, what's the blade length?
Thanks John, blade is 16" really my attempt at forging something that big. For some strange reason my right arm is a little bigger that my left. I didn't realize how hard you have to hit something to move that much metal!

What kind of hammer are you using, not that I know my arse from a hole in the ground, but when I went from a flat face cross peen to a rounding hammer, things moved twice as fast. Not sure if that would make the bevels harder to clean up or not though.

What kind of hammer are you using, not that I know my arse from a hole in the ground, but when I went from a flat face cross peen to a rounding hammer, things moved twice as fast. Not sure if that would make the bevels harder to clean up or not though.
I know even less about hammers and there use.
This is what I'm using
24384b185f3290b7f629feb16ef1bf7a.jpg

Found a great heat color chart for blacksmithing/bladesmithing. Hope you find it as handy as I did.

blacksmith heating chart.jpg

I have an old metal milk crate around somewhere, that might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to make a Bick out of this, the horn is too big for the small stuff I've been doing. I figure I can fit the big end to the Hardy hole, draw the point out thinner , and put a 90° bend in it . That should help with smaller curves and pigtails/rat tails.
IMG_20180819_193926.jpg

I'm gonna try to make a Bick out of this, the horn is too big for the small stuff I've been doing. I figure I can fit the big end to the Hardy hole, draw the point out thinner , and put a 90° bend in it . That should help with smaller curves and pigtails/rat tails.
View attachment 969165
That should work, but you would want some kind of shoulder on it to keep it from wedging down into the hardy hole.
ocbickern2n.jpg

Talk about TV or Sports and I'm tuned out by the first sentence (except old westerns) bring up blacksmithing or knifemaking and I geek out.

A friend of mine pulled the trigger on a gas forge from Majestic Forge today. Bringing him a rough old vulcan anvil that I've had sitting on top of a fencepost for the last few years. It's rough and has a broken tail, but it's a start. Threw in a couple of old hammers, I'm a bad influence.

Speaking of geek talk, my Bick is gonna be a small cone mandrel instead, thinking that will be easier to work curves on if I can look at them from the top. I guess the drawback would be not being able to hit it as hard but I'm usingostly small stock.

Talk about TV or Sports and I'm tuned out by the first sentence (except old westerns) bring up blacksmithing or knifemaking and I geek out.

A friend of mine pulled the trigger on a gas forge from Majestic Forge today. Bringing him a rough old vulcan anvil that I've had sitting on top of a fencepost for the last few years. It's rough and has a broken tail, but it's a start. Threw in a couple of old hammers, I'm a bad influence.

Speaking of geek talk, my Bick is gonna be a small cone mandrel instead, thinking that will be easier to work curves on if I can look at them from the top. I guess the drawback would be not being able to hit it as hard but I'm usingostly small stock.
John, do you have a leg / blacksmith vise?
You could always forge the base square, then put it in the vise when you want to use it.
Like you said, it will be small stock, and forging heat, so it will be fairly malleable.

Oh, and real cool helping a buddy get started! Vises (old ones) are just stupid high now!

I've got two Post/Leg/Blacksmith vises, neither of which are set up though. I really need to decide on a size and spot for a dirt floor smithy and at least get some posts set. I have an ancient coal forge that's made out of the steel wheel off a Fordson tractor and a small rivet type forge, a couple of hand blowers, an old electric one with a rheostat, and about 10' of double wall 14" flu. I've been collecting/hoarding blacksmith stuff for years and need to get it set up.

Back