Forum Knife Updates and comments

Got mine in today. I am very happy. My scales match wonderfully.
m2PRLig.jpg

9kKps3z.jpg

I do have some minor gaps, but I purposely looked for them because of some of the feedback. It’s a non issue in my case. I don’t think I would have noticed if I wasn’t looking.

As mentioned by a few others, my blades did not snap open. I had to really push them the final bit. They did however snap closed nicely. So I gave her a nice warm soapy bath, and some fresh mineral oil after. Both blades now snap that final bit fully with no extra assistance. No play in either blade.

Thank you to all those involved in getting such a beautiful unique knife to all of us!!

I know right? but then when I got this and took her out of the box I was also surprised at the size, I kept thinking it was a bit smaller myself. So I'm not surprised that others did not expect it to be as large as it is.
G2

Got my 2 examples today. Thanks to @skblades and Buck for the effort on these. Are they several hundred dollar customs? Nope. But I had to look through the bottom of both to see the little gaps. One of the clip blades hits on the liner. Maybe I'm just not as sophisticated a knife buyer as some guys, but these are excellent examples of EDC pocket knives to me. Especially for $71 each. One of them is going to being sharing days with my 2013 Forum knife as my favorite rotation carries. Thanks again, Steven and Buck Knives.

Just received. In a word...Spectacular! It feels, looks, and act like a Custom. The Elk Covers are different on both sides, but with awesome character. Lacking a caliper, I don’t have the ultra critical view that some have.:) In hand, it feels like someone described as a “working knife.” I am grateful for both the patience and hard work of Stephen, as well as the skill of Buck’s Custom Shop. I have never considered acquiring any Bucks. This has changed my view completely. Kudos. A Happy and Safe Holiday to all. Lest I forget, thank you also to ”Anonymous” for the page. It was the cherry on top.
View attachment 1035430

View attachment 1035431

:eek:………………...:thumbsup::cool:

Got mine today, pretty pleased overall:). Aside from a pretty decent gap under the end of one of the covers (by thumb in first pic) I have no other f&f issues but the covers are REALLY slim. I did get some pretty thick blades too (Main-.035"bte, sheeps-.025"bte).

IMG_20181210_180818.jpg IMG_20181210_180800.jpg IMG_20181210_180748.jpg

I'm kinda torn at this point though...do I take it to the grinder (losing the cool Bos etch) and make it a user, or maybe try to trade for an interesting Whittler?

~Chip

Just a thought regarding the sheepsfoot spring being sunken a bit: shouldn't that be expected? Didn't we request that the sheepsfoot blade be nestled a little further into the frame? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't shaving the kick on a blade cause the spring the sink in a little?

I was pleased to find that one of mine was dark and craggy and the other was less dark and less craggy. Dark and craggy is going on display, light and semi-craggy is going in the pocket. I'm not a "new" knife kind of guy so I can't really critique the w/t or f/f with a micrometer, to my vintage eye it looks shiny and feels snappy... perfect to me, like little Ralphie's Red Ryder BB gun :D This was my first Forum knife experience and it won't be my last. I've followed it every step of the way dating back to April and I think I only batted .250 with the polls, but there are so many things in the world that are much more worry-some to me than "the perfect knife". I don't think I will ever have the perfect knife... but these can at least be the most meaningful. Until next year :)

BFK-1A.JPG BFK-1B.JPG

I was pleased to find that one of mine was dark and craggy and the other was less dark and less craggy. Dark and craggy is going on display, light and semi-craggy is going in the pocket. I'm not a "new" knife kind of guy so I can't really critique the w/t or f/f with a micrometer, to my vintage eye it looks shiny and feels snappy... perfect to me, like little Ralphie's Red Ryder BB gun :D This was my first Forum knife experience and it won't be my last. I've followed it every step of the way dating back to April and I think I only batted .250 with the polls, but there are so many things in the world that are much more worry-some to me than "the perfect knife". I don't think I will ever have the perfect knife... but these can at least be the most meaningful. Until next year :)

View attachment 1035671 View attachment 1035672
That's some nice craggy!

Well add another very happy customer to the list :)
Thanks so much to SKBlades and Blade Forums :thumbsup: and of course Buck !!
I feel very lucky and fortunate to have the opportunity to add this in my collection and you won’t be seeing this one on the chopping block . Rather then mention the needless it has checked all the right boxes and I’m very very Happy .
Pictures are a little dark but I promise I will take better ones that I’m sure you all will be seeing on the “what ya carrying today “ thread :D
I also love the little Blade forum spec list What a very nice classy touch :thumbsup:
viB8u8R.jpg

OooEcki.jpg

KUonaJc.jpg

Last edited:
Add me to the list of happy recipients! This was my first time participating in a forum knife, and to be honest I would have preferred a GEC. Still I appreciated the voting system and how detailed it got, and I'm certainly very impressed by @skblades willingness to put in so much time and effort, and to do a good job of making it all come to fruition. Kudos Stephen!

As for my example, the fit and finish on mine is very good. Only very minor gaps (visible only when backlit with light). The transitions are all smooth, and though the sheepsfoot liner is slightly sunken, it doesn't feel or look bad at all. The pulls are light, comparable to the Churchill I have, but the walk and talk have improved already with just a few dozen cycles of opening and closing. No blade play. I don't have anything to measure thickness, but both of the blades came sharp enough to pass through phonebook paper without trouble, which, in my opinion, is a serviceable edge. I did pass each blade over a honing rod a bit and that made it even keener. The elk on mine is pretty nobby, which is fine by me. It is my first elk so I don't have any frame of reference. The knife is a bit longer than I had expected (I've never had a Buck, so I wasn't sure about exact dimensions) and a bit heavier, too, but that's ok by me. I do have a couple of questions though:

fullsizeoutput_2d06.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2d0c.jpeg

What in the world is the dark crusty stuff?

fullsizeoutput_2d09.jpeg

Also, I found what I thought was polishing compound in the blade well, but some of it was sort of sticky, like glue. Any ideas on what that could be?

Neither of these things are a big deal to me. The crusty stuff makes for less appealing pictures, but I've always been a fellow who likes a little bit of character and difference.

Thanks to Buck for making us a knife, at to Stephen for playing the middle man on our behalf. Thank as well to everyone who participated and contributed to the fun of the experience.

I like the description that says the reason for selling is "Very nice knife, but too big for me." o_O

I know right? but then when I got this and took her out of the box I was also surprised at the size, I kept thinking it was a bit smaller myself. So I'm not surprised that others did not expect it to be as large as it is.
G2

Personally, I was pleased that it's as trim as it is. I have several 301's that get carried with fair frequency and am fully familiar with the size. I voted for a 303 frame for that reason. But, I find this surprisingly light and nimble. Removing that third blade did a lot in that regard. It carries very well in a front jeans pocket.

Back