Forum Knife Updates and comments

^^^Here’s another hold ya over :D
odSDh9u.jpg

Here are my two. I ended up with a smoothish one and a craggy one. The pull on both blades of both knives are about a five and three of them need to be pushed the last bit to full open. The clip blade of the smoother knife does actually snap open a bit. There is no blade-play or rub and the blades are pretty well centered. I can’t comment on how thick they are behind the edge having no micrometer. but they don’t look too thick to me. There are a couple small, inconsequential gaps between the springs and liners of the craggy example. The smooth example, on the other hand has quite a few gap problems. I haven’t decided if I am going to keep the smoother one, but I’m really glad I purchased two knives! I really, really like the craggy knife and included more pictures of it.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this project. Thanks to Steven, Buck Knives and BladeForums in particular.

46266535961_4f0d2fdbca_b.jpg

44449506580_1da63eb227_b.jpg

45543002864_4cacc72e33_b.jpg

45543002664_911a351690_b.jpg

45543002474_71582d4fef_z.jpg

Love seeing all the different varieties of the handles on everyone's knives. I think they all look great. My example has one smoother side and one darker bumpier side. I actually prefer the look of the smoother side slightly. The blades are both quite sharp out of the box, plenty sharp to shave hair quite easily.

I have decided I'm not going to sweat the minor issues that I pointed out in my original post, but instead am going to use it in the spirit in which it was built. So it will make its maiden voyage in my pocket tomorrow.

Thanks SK @skblades for all the time, thought, and hard work to make this happen!

My knife was shipped on Friday and received today. What is interesting is that it went from prepared for shipping to received without ever having been in transit!!! It is a beautiful knife. I am very pleased. The dark part is grey rather than brown. It is now back in the box to be wrapped and put under the tree.

I can’t believe they’ve been received and resold on the exchange yet I sit and wait for mine to ship.
I bought two not being sure I'd keep both and now seeing them flood the exchange I hope I don't have to lose my shirt if I decide to pass one along.

Definitely dropping her into my watch pocket for carry tomorrow :)
Thanks again folks and nice touch with the Porch invite, good stuff ;)
G2

Long reviews, even the trouble of a video and yours went on the exchange just as fast as the others lol. Did you actually carry it like you said? I’m guessing not since your sales ad didn’t say so.

By the way, you might want to take whoever was in the house while you made that video to the doctor. I was waiting for a chunk of lung to land on your desk with how bad they were hacking in the background lol.

You posted some nice pics though!

I find it interesting that this year's knife is so close in pattern to the Canal Street model we did a couple years ago. I'll have to compare them side by side, but they are pretty similar.

I was scratching my head also wondering why everyone wanted the same blade arrangement on another serpentine frame as the CS knife myself but I feel this current package is much more enticing and attractive. Plus with the upgraded steel and elk covers, it’s a huge improvement. To me the CS knife was very bland and cheep feeling.

I was scratching my head also wondering why everyone wanted the same blade arrangement on another serpentine frame as the CS knife myself but I feel this current package is much more enticing and attractive. Plus with the upgraded steel and elk covers, it’s a huge improvement. To me the CS knife was very bland and cheep feeling.
I too thought it a bit odd to have such a similar configuration, so soon anyway. Mind you it’s a great blade combo. My CSC forum knife definitely doesn’t feel cheap in any way, and not at all bland. I did get some great character in my covers however.

I really like the full flat grind, but something I did not think about that was kind of mechanically inevitable was that FFG actually makes this knife much thicker behind the edge than hollow would have because the blade depth is so shallow. Still really like mine, though.

I really like the full flat grind, but something I did not think about that was kind of mechanically inevitable was that FFG actually makes this knife much thicker behind the edge than hollow would have because the blade depth is so shallow. Still really like mine, though.

That's not actually true, you can have the same behind the edge thickness regardless of grind...Buck just chose not to grind them as thin as I and some others would like. As you progress up from the edge is where the grind will make a difference.

~Chip

I too thought it a bit odd to have such a similar configuration, so soon anyway. Mind you it’s a great blade combo. My CSC forum knife definitely doesn’t feel cheap in any way, and not at all bland. I did get some great character in my covers however.
There's some differences between the CS Serpentine Double End Jack from 2015 and this years knife by Buck. Single vs double spring, wood vs elk, shadow vs bolstered, shield vs no shield. They do share the same blade configuration, which in retrospect is a very common and desirable combination.
I like them both and I have to agree with the post I quoted. The CSC knife was a great build and a very attractive knife in my opinion.

And yes my wife is quite sick, seeing a doctor but no relief yet, not good

G2

I hope she feels better Gary, it’s the season for it! My girlfriend works for a school so she’s seeing the wave of colds going through the students...along with catching the fever herself. Hope I don’t catch it!

Back